Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Preparing 18mm ply for under new granite worktop

Hi, all.

I have an L-shaped worktop which is to be replaced with granite.
The granite man is supplying 20mm granite, and specified it to be laid on
top of 18mm ply to form the worktop.
He has specified where there can and cannot be joins etc.

Has anyone here done this before?

I'm wondering the best way to make the joins.
With normal worktop, I'd use biscuts and dog-bone bolts.
But with only 18mm to play with, the cut-outs for the dog bones would go
through the entire thickness of the ply.

Given that the ply is not the finished surface, I'd considered just using a
4" wide jointing strip of ply under the join ( carcases permitting ), and
screwing either side of the join down to that.

Comments / suggestions?

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ron Lowe wrote:
Hi, all.

I have an L-shaped worktop which is to be replaced with granite.
The granite man is supplying 20mm granite, and specified it to be laid on
top of 18mm ply to form the worktop.
He has specified where there can and cannot be joins etc.

Has anyone here done this before?

I'm wondering the best way to make the joins.
With normal worktop, I'd use biscuts and dog-bone bolts.
But with only 18mm to play with, the cut-outs for the dog bones would go
through the entire thickness of the ply.

Given that the ply is not the finished surface, I'd considered just using a
4" wide jointing strip of ply under the join ( carcases permitting ), and
screwing either side of the join down to that.

Comments / suggestions?

Can't it just be screwed to the cross pieces of the base units? Possibly
a little packing to get the 2 pieces of ply flush but I don't see they
have to be joined