Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How not to use a Ladder;!....

Http://www.fresh99.com/ladders.htm

scroll past the forth one slowly;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Http://www.fresh99.com/ladders.htm

scroll past the forth one slowly;!...

At least the last one is lashed at the top!!!

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Http://www.fresh99.com/ladders.htm

scroll past the forth one slowly;!...

Is that in Edinburgh or Dundee?

At least the last one is lashed at the top!!!

Excellent - saved to show Spouse - thanks.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
Http://www.fresh99.com/ladders.htm

scroll past the forth one slowly;!...

A number of optical illusions in there - along with some standard practices
for the job.

Take a look a how Fred Dibnah used to erect his ladders to access the
chimneys he worked on!

What's the matter with the fourth one?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian G wrote:
tony sayer wrote:
Http://www.fresh99.com/ladders.htm

scroll past the forth one slowly;!...

What's the matter with the fourth one?

Yeah, the guy's clearly very safety-conscious: see how he's wearing
eye-protection? ;-)

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What's the matter with the fourth one?

Yeah, the guy's clearly very safety-conscious: see how he's wearing
eye-protection? ;-)

And barefoot on his aluminium ladder, with a mains drill !

Some rigging looks chaotic but can be very safe in expert hands.
Although not compliant with (UK) legislation, I wouldn't criticise it
without knowing exactly how it was rigged, how it was used and what
alternatives they had. In poorer countries people make do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
What's the matter with the fourth one?

Yeah, the guy's clearly very safety-conscious: see how he's wearing
eye-protection? ;-)

And barefoot on his aluminium ladder, with a mains drill !

Some rigging looks chaotic but can be very safe in expert hands.
Although not compliant with (UK) legislation, I wouldn't criticise it
without knowing exactly how it was rigged, how it was used and what
alternatives they had. In poorer countries people make do.

It was extremely hot in the summer of 1976 when I was working rewiring a
house in Colchester, Essex, Having pulled all the fuses out of the wylex
fuse box, I started on removing all the light fittings and switches up
stairs. Dressed in only plymsoles and shorts I got to the bathroom which was
situated above the kitchen at the back of the house. Standing on aluminium
steps I started to reoved the the ceiling rose. I shook violently for about
a minute until my mate ran and switched the fuse box off.
It later transpired that the previous owners of the house had had the
bathroom light wired upto the cooker unit in the kitchen.
--
the_constructor

Don't tip it, recycle it. Join your local group.

http://freecycle.org/display.php?reg...ited%20Kingdom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , the_constructor
scribeth thus

wrote in message
[...]

Years ago I used to work at Pye Television Transmitters where we had 3
phase mains and around 15 kV DC supplies to the Klystron amplifiers..

One tech there was lecturing us on it was a good idea to short wires
together before we started work on them.

Three times its happened over the years the flash and bang and just the
other week when the shed outside PIR light wanted changing along with
another, and I thought they were all on the same downstairs light
circuit 'course the shed was on a separate supply and fuse box;(

And if the SWMBO wasn't distracting me I might have realised still it
was only a small flash .. RCD protected anyway...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Brian G wrote:
tony sayer wrote:
Http://www.fresh99.com/ladders.htm

scroll past the forth one slowly;!...

What's the matter with the fourth one?

Yeah, the guy's clearly very safety-conscious: see how he's wearing
eye-protection? ;-)

David

Ah, but the cable appears to be nowhere near the water and the voltage is
probably only around 110 :-)

As I previously said, many of these are optical illusions - and that's
probably because of the camera angles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Brian G
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:
Http://www.fresh99.com/ladders.htm

scroll past the forth one slowly;!...

A number of optical illusions in there - along with some standard practices
for the job.

Take a look a how Fred Dibnah used to erect his ladders to access the
chimneys he worked on!

What's the matter with the fourth one?

Well earthed perhaps;?....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote in message

Http://www.fresh99.com/ladders.htm
Tony Sayer

The 8th one down ?
This one http://i19.tinypic.com/72iy8gg.jpg
shows a suicide bracket in use they were used quite often by builders years
ago.
I re-pointed the flank walls on my first house off one of them, and it was a
3-storey house.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/11/2007 18:36, Mark wrote:

The 8th one down ?
This one http://i19.tinypic.com/72iy8gg.jpg
shows a suicide bracket in use they were used quite often by builders years
ago.

I take it you noticed that both ladders holding the "suicide bracket"
are resting on a plank on trestles
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote in message
On 18/11/2007 18:36, Mark wrote:

The 8th one down ?
This one http://i19.tinypic.com/72iy8gg.jpg
shows a suicide bracket in use they were used quite often by builders

years
ago.

I take it you noticed that both ladders holding the "suicide bracket"
are resting on a plank on trestles

Yep safe as houses ;(
I like the look of ladders over the porch idea.
When I used them I had a 10ft scaffold board across the brackets, it could
be a bit bouncy.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
On 18/11/2007 18:36, Mark wrote:

The 8th one down ?
This one http://i19.tinypic.com/72iy8gg.jpg
shows a suicide bracket in use they were used quite often by builders
years
ago.

I take it you noticed that both ladders holding the "suicide bracket" are
resting on a plank on trestles

The planks are at right angles to the wall, while the ladders are side by
side and leaning against it. It is more likely a work table in the
foreground that obscures the bases of the ladders, although that would mean
that they are standing on sloping loose soil.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message

tony sayer wrote in message

Http://www.fresh99.com/ladders.htm
Tony Sayer

The 8th one down ?
This one http://i19.tinypic.com/72iy8gg.jpg
shows a suicide bracket in use they were used quite often by builders
years
ago.

AND the ladders seem to be standing on a trestle table ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
tony sayer wrote in message
Http://www.fresh99.com/ladders.htm
Tony Sayer

The 8th one down ?
This one http://i19.tinypic.com/72iy8gg.jpg
shows a suicide bracket in use they were used quite often by builders years
ago.
I re-pointed the flank walls on my first house off one of them, and it was a
3-storey house.

I saw a substantial and modern-looking one being used by some window
fitters recently

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-18 18:36:14 +0000, "Mark" said:

tony sayer wrote in message

Http://www.fresh99.com/ladders.htm
Tony Sayer

The 8th one down ?
This one http://i19.tinypic.com/72iy8gg.jpg
shows a suicide bracket in use they were used quite often by builders years
ago.
I re-pointed the flank walls on my first house off one of them, and it was a
3-storey house.

-

Suicide bracket.... Hmm....

This is sort of like one component of the pivot on a microlite aircraft
which is often known as the Jesus bolt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 18:36:14 GMT Mark wrote :
The 8th one down ?
This one http://i19.tinypic.com/72iy8gg.jpg
shows a suicide bracket in use they were used quite often by builders years
ago.

aka Ladder Cripples

Modern version here

http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladder_accsr_ldrscaf.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 15:38:14 +0000, a particular chimpanzee, tony
sayer randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Http://www.fresh99.com/ladders.htm

scroll past the forth one slowly;!...

Oh! How we laugh at the foreigners and their funny ways! A couple of
examples that spring to mind:

1) A chap using a 240v drill, standing in about two inches of water in
normal trainers, plugged straight into a domestic socket that was
still live in a building that had been open to the elements for a
couple of years.

2) A plasterer on a mobile platform on a car park ramp at 1:5; the
only thing stopping it from rolling away or tipping over was his mate
at the bottom holding it back.

This was in Manchester (and as it happens, the people involved are
born & bred Brits). Not a week goes by were the only access to a roof
or cellar is by ladders not tied off, and that wouldn't be quite long
enough if they weren't stood on beer crates, or scaffolding which is
more in need of support than the dangerous building it's attached to.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

This was in Manchester (and as it happens, the people involved are
born & bred Brits). Not a week goes by were the only access to a roof
or cellar is by ladders not tied off, and that wouldn't be quite long
enough if they weren't stood on beer crates, or scaffolding which is
more in need of support than the dangerous building it's attached to.

Having damaged my poor old back very many years ago I'm now very careful
when using ladders and with fall risk as I simply don't want it buggered
up again!..

It never ceases to amaze that people who use ladders don't think of
their own necks more .. after all their the ones who are going to suffer
and feel the pain!....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
This was in Manchester (and as it happens, the people involved are
born & bred Brits). Not a week goes by were the only access to a
roof or cellar is by ladders not tied off, and that wouldn't be
quite long enough if they weren't stood on beer crates, or
scaffolding which is more in need of support than the dangerous
building it's attached to.

Having damaged my poor old back very many years ago I'm now very
careful when using ladders and with fall risk as I simply don't want
it buggered up again!..

It never ceases to amaze that people who use ladders don't think of
their own necks more .. after all their the ones who are going to
suffer and feel the pain!....

I'm with you there. Ladders scare the ****e out of me, so I'm 100% over
cautious. Stabiliser bracket & a Laddermat http://www.laddermat.co.uk/ or I
don't go up the ladder.

Most dangerous piece of kit carried on my van is the ladder.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Most dangerous piece of kit carried on my van is the ladder.

Pffft. You're going to be drummed out of the League of White Van Men.

The most dangerous piece of kit carried on my van is the nut behind
the steering wheel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-18 23:54:43 +0000, " said:

Most dangerous piece of kit carried on my van is the ladder.

Pffft. You're going to be drummed out of the League of White Van Men.

The most dangerous piece of kit carried on my van is the nut behind
the steering wheel.

Coo. ... and here was me thinking that someone was going to say that
it's his cigarette lighter...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes

Most dangerous piece of kit carried on my van is the ladder.

Ladder couldn't do any harm without a Handyman up it. ;-)

--
Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes

Http://www.fresh99.com/ladders.htm

scroll past the forth one slowly;!...

What's the problem ?

He's got the goggles, he just needs a snorkel ...

I think these got posted a couple of years ago

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Http://www.fresh99.com/ladders.htm

The step ladder in fourth from last is safe enough, if not for the faint of
heart. However, in the next picture, we see the workman using it without
maintaining three points of contact required by UK regulations.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , nightjar
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Http://www.fresh99.com/ladders.htm

The step ladder in fourth from last is safe enough, if not for the faint of
heart. However, in the next picture, we see the workman using it without
maintaining three points of contact required by UK regulations.

Colin Bignell

Glad you think so Colin, wouldn't get me up there without some serious
fall arrest equipment!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , nightjar
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Http://www.fresh99.com/ladders.htm

The step ladder in fourth from last is safe enough, if not for the faint
of
heart. However, in the next picture, we see the workman using it without
maintaining three points of contact required by UK regulations.

Colin Bignell

Glad you think so Colin, wouldn't get me up there without some serious
fall arrest equipment!...

The ladder is on a good, solid base, with the legs away from the edge. The
risk of falling is no more than if it were at ground level, even if the
potential consequences of doing so are much more serious. It is how the
workman is using it that is dangerous.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , nightjar
scribeth thus
"tony sayer" wrote in message
Http://www.fresh99.com/ladders.htm

The step ladder in fourth from last is safe enough, if not for the faint
of
heart. However, in the next picture, we see the workman using it without
maintaining three points of contact required by UK regulations.

Colin Bignell

Glad you think so Colin, wouldn't get me up there without some serious
fall arrest equipment!...

The ladder is on a good, solid base, with the legs away from the edge. The
risk of falling is no more than if it were at ground level, even if the
potential consequences of doing so are much more serious. It is how the
workman is using it that is dangerous.

So out of interest, would that arrangement pass a UK H&S assessment
(providing the workman doesn't stand up on the apex on his tippy toes?)
Doesn't seem likely to me...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , nightjar
scribeth thus
"tony sayer" wrote in message
[...]

The balcony meets the requirement that: "Any surface upon which a ladder
rests shall be stable, firm, of sufficient strength and of suitable
composition safely to support the ladder so that its rungs or steps remain
horizontal, and any loading intended to be placed on it". We don't know what
is on the ground floor, but even if you could get them in, an extending
tower won't work, because of the depth of the balcony and that and the
height might well defeat a cherry-picker, so there may be no safer method of
work. The main thing it would fail on is the lack of provision for
'minimising the consequences' of a fall. However, I don't see anything to
attach fall arrest equipment to, so there would need to be an industrial
bouncy castle on the floor below or a safety net fitted at balcony level and
they might not be 'reasonably practical' answers for a short term job.

Colin Bignell

Ladder Stabilizer For Extension Ladder Question Robert11 Home Repair 16 October 18th 14 01:07 PM
Ladder Clamps The Medway Handyman UK diy 2 October 25th 06 06:57 PM
Little Giant Ladder Me Just Wondering Home Ownership 6 August 15th 05 03:58 AM
Ladder wanted Tony Halmarack UK diy 11 August 4th 04 12:24 PM
Up a ladder John UK diy 6 May 22nd 04 11:51 PM