Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plumb Center

I've only ever used Plumb Center twice.

First time I wanted something around £6. Wouldn't take plastic under £10.

Cash not a problem, but the accounts are much easier using plastic - and
everybody else e.g. Wickes. B&Q, Homebase will take plastic for any amount.

Second visit for a bog standard (no pun intended) cistern siphon. £14 + !!!

B& Q rip off price £9:50, Wickes reasonable price £8:99, Screwfix bargain
price £4.

Last time I use Plumb Center.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 23:56:39 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Last time I use Plumb Center.

I use them for Fernox bag-in-tank scale inhibitor which I haven't found
elsewhere and not much else.

--
John Stumbles

Pessimists are never disappointed
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I've only ever used Plumb Center twice.

QED - it's the usual trade mafia thing isn't it?

B& Q rip off price £9:50, Wickes reasonable price £8:99, Screwfix bargain
price £4.

No doubt the plumbers who visit daily will pay a fiver for the same item.

Last time I use Plumb Center.

You and me both - it's my very last port of call in town if I need
something really urgently

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I've only ever used Plumb Center twice.

First time I wanted something around £6. Wouldn't take plastic under £10.

Cash not a problem, but the accounts are much easier using plastic - and
everybody else e.g. Wickes. B&Q, Homebase will take plastic for any amount.

Second visit for a bog standard (no pun intended) cistern siphon. £14 + !!!

B& Q rip off price £9:50, Wickes reasonable price £8:99, Screwfix bargain
price £4.

Last time I use Plumb Center.

The branches seem to vary. A few years ago I was doing a lot of (DIY)
plumbing work so asked about an account at the local branch, they guys
said not to bother and that they would give me trade discounts - and
they did. I once got something priced by them but they didn't have it in
stock, a branch a few miles away wouldn't budge from the standard price.
When I went back recently to the original branch the staff had changed
and they were much less interested in dropping the price - so Screwfix won!

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I've only ever used Plumb Center twice.

First time I wanted something around £6. Wouldn't take plastic under £10.

Cash not a problem, but the accounts are much easier using plastic - and
everybody else e.g. Wickes. B&Q, Homebase will take plastic for any amount.

Second visit for a bog standard (no pun intended) cistern siphon. £14 + !!!

B& Q rip off price £9:50, Wickes reasonable price £8:99, Screwfix bargain
price £4.

Last time I use Plumb Center.

Bit of a game of Russian Roulette, in my experience.

A lot of their stuff is good, and well priced, but when I threw in a
couple of flexible tap connectors (which I had just refused to pay £10
for at B&Q) I only noticed later on the receipt that they'd ripped me
for £28 (I was ordering quite a few things and didn't think too much of
the bill until I noticed the tap connectors).

Good place, good gear, but you have to watch some of their pricings very
carefully.