Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where do I stand on this?

Next door has had a huge satellite disk and distribution box fitted to
her house. Unfortunately, this overhangs my property. The whole
installation including all the wiring, is over the border on my side of
our house.

In the past, she has asked me if it would be OK to fit a small dish to
the same wall and I had no problem with this. Does my previous consent
carry on to any new installations?

Next door have not been responsible for this installation, as it was
forced on them.

Before I go and complain about this to the owner of next door, can
anyone put me right on the laws about this, please?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave
scribeth thus
Next door has had a huge satellite disk and distribution box fitted to
her house. Unfortunately, this overhangs my property. The whole
installation including all the wiring, is over the border on my side of
our house.

In the past, she has asked me if it would be OK to fit a small dish to
the same wall and I had no problem with this. Does my previous consent
carry on to any new installations?

No I don't reckon that it does .. after all if the council say you can
erect a single story building it doesn't mean you can then add another
less planning permission!...

Next door have not been responsible for this installation, as it was
forced on them.

Forced on them?.. By who?..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Next door has had a huge satellite disk and distribution box fitted to
her house. Unfortunately, this overhangs my property. The whole
installation including all the wiring, is over the border on my side of
our house.

The dish etc. should be entirely on her property.

In the past, she has asked me if it would be OK to fit a small dish to
the same wall and I had no problem with this. Does my previous consent
carry on to any new installations?

IANAL, but I would have thought not if it is a much bigger dish than
previously was there.

Next door have not been responsible for this installation, as it was
forced on them.

Why?

Before I go and complain about this to the owner of next door, can
anyone put me right on the laws about this, please?

It depends on your relationship with your neighbour and how this could
affect future relations.

You could demand that any part of it that encroached on your property be
removed and you could talk to the council regarding it, as a huge dish
probably would require planning permission.

You don't say how big this huge dish is and to get good advice, you need
to post this question to a legal newsgroup instead of here and include
some details.

Dave

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Next door has had a huge satellite disk and distribution box fitted to
her house. Unfortunately, this overhangs my property. The whole
installation including all the wiring, is over the border on my side of
our house.

In the past, she has asked me if it would be OK to fit a small dish to
the same wall and I had no problem with this. Does my previous consent
carry on to any new installations?

Next door have not been responsible for this installation, as it was
forced on them.

Before I go and complain about this to the owner of next door, can
anyone put me right on the laws about this, please?

Dave

Get in touch with the company that erected it,phone them up and explain if
they don't come and move their ****e from your property you'll sue for
damages incurred on your property.
Dont upset the neighbours as all hell might break loose :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Consider give and take.

How do you think your neighbour will be disposed towards you, when the
day comes when you need their support or co-operation?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Next door has had a huge satellite disk and distribution box fitted to her
house. Unfortunately, this overhangs my property. The whole installation
including all the wiring, is over the border on my side of our house.

What is "huge" ? If it was huge it would be mounted on the floor.
Tell her to move it then.

In the past, she has asked me if it would be OK to fit a small dish to the
same wall and I had no problem with this. Does my previous consent carry
on to any new installations?

You have answered your own question, you said it was OK to fit a "small"
dish.
Did you know about future installations too?

Next door have not been responsible for this installation, as it was
forced on them.

I wish someone would force a satellite dish on my house! It would be
terrible to have satellite TV forced upon me.

Before I go and complain about this to the owner of next door, can anyone
put me right on the laws about this, please?

Dave

Tell her to move it and if she doesn't you're going to take it down for her.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

In article , Dave
scribeth thus

Next door has had a huge satellite disk and distribution box fitted to
her house. Unfortunately, this overhangs my property. The whole
installation including all the wiring, is over the border on my side of
our house.

In the past, she has asked me if it would be OK to fit a small dish to
the same wall and I had no problem with this. Does my previous consent
carry on to any new installations?

No I don't reckon that it does .. after all if the council say you can
erect a single story building it doesn't mean you can then add another
less planning permission!...

Next door have not been responsible for this installation, as it was
forced on them.

Forced on them?.. By who?..

The house next door belongs to a private property group. It is this
group that has come along and installed the equipment while I was out.
Where I live, there are lots of situations like this. The group buys up
a house when it become vacent and takes control of it.

Before I go and complain about this to the owner of next door, can
anyone put me right on the laws about this, please?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:

Dave wrote:

Next door has had a huge satellite disk and distribution box fitted to
her house. Unfortunately, this overhangs my property. The whole
installation including all the wiring, is over the border on my side
of our house.

The dish etc. should be entirely on her property.

That is what I thought.

In the past, she has asked me if it would be OK to fit a small dish to
the same wall and I had no problem with this. Does my previous consent
carry on to any new installations?

IANAL, but I would have thought not if it is a much bigger dish than
previously was there.

Next door have not been responsible for this installation, as it was
forced on them.

Why?

See my answer to Tony Sayer.

Before I go and complain about this to the owner of next door, can
anyone put me right on the laws about this, please?

It depends on your relationship with your neighbour and how this could
affect future relations.

I wrote the above a little badly. Neighbour rents next door from a
private company. My grouse is with the private company, not our neighbour.

You could demand that any part of it that encroached on your property be
removed and you could talk to the council regarding it, as a huge dish
probably would require planning permission.

You don't say how big this huge dish is and to get good advice, you need
to post this question to a legal newsgroup instead of here and include
some details.

All points noted, but this was my first point of call to test the waters.

Many thanks for the advice.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

Next door has had a huge satellite disk and distribution box fitted to
her house. Unfortunately, this overhangs my property. The whole
installation including all the wiring, is over the border on my side of
our house.

In the past, she has asked me if it would be OK to fit a small dish to
the same wall and I had no problem with this. Does my previous consent
carry on to any new installations?

Next door have not been responsible for this installation, as it was
forced on them.

Before I go and complain about this to the owner of next door, can
anyone put me right on the laws about this, please?

Dave

Get in touch with the company that erected it,phone them up and explain if
they don't come and move their ****e from your property you'll sue for
damages incurred on your property.

How high does my claim to property go?

Dont upset the neighbours as all hell might break loose :-)

No, she is an OK neighbour :-)

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Next door have not been responsible for this installation, as it was
forced on them.

Forced on them?.. By who?..

The house next door belongs to a private property group. It is this
group that has come along and installed the equipment while I was out.
Where I live, there are lots of situations like this. The group buys up
a house when it become vacent and takes control of it.

Well take up the cudgels with them about it!..

Or another alternative might be to offer them a wayleave over your
property for a fee)

--
Tony Sayer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

Next door has had a huge satellite disk and distribution box fitted to her
house. Unfortunately, this overhangs my property. The whole installation
including all the wiring, is over the border on my side of our house.

What is "huge" ? If it was huge it would be mounted on the floor.
Tell her to move it then.

Sorry, confusion rules due to my very poor original post.

By huge, I mean that it is about 1 to 1 and a half metres in diam.

Neither the dish or the equipment belongs to her. It was installed by a
contractor that didn't consider asking about my permission. So I am
going to use that as a lever to force another issue. At least sometime
in the future I can get them to remove the dish and distribution box at
a further dispute

In the past, she has asked me if it would be OK to fit a small dish to the
same wall and I had no problem with this. Does my previous consent carry
on to any new installations?

You have answered your own question, you said it was OK to fit a "small"
dish.
Did you know about future installations too?

No, they came out of the blue last week.

Next door have not been responsible for this installation, as it was
forced on them.

I wish someone would force a satellite dish on my house! It would be
terrible to have satellite TV forced upon me.

I take it that you like Murdock (spit)

Before I go and complain about this to the owner of next door, can anyone
put me right on the laws about this, please?

Dave

Tell her to move it and if she doesn't you're going to take it down for her.

It is not hers, but that is another bullet for my gun.

Many thanks

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

Next door have not been responsible for this installation, as it was
forced on them.

Forced on them?.. By who?..

The house next door belongs to a private property group. It is this
group that has come along and installed the equipment while I was out.
Where I live, there are lots of situations like this. The group buys up
a house when it become vacent and takes control of it.

Well take up the cudgels with them about it!..

Or another alternative might be to offer them a wayleave over your
property for a fee)

I rather like that idea :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Dave
scribeth thus
[...]

The link below relates to Stockton, but AFAIK most areas have similar
requirements.

http://www.stockton.gov.uk/resources...lite_dish_faq/

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
writes
Next door has had a huge satellite disk and distribution box fitted to
her house. Unfortunately, this overhangs my property. The whole
installation including all the wiring, is over the border on my side of
our house.

In the past, she has asked me if it would be OK to fit a small dish to
the same wall and I had no problem with this. Does my previous consent
carry on to any new installations?

Next door have not been responsible for this installation, as it was
forced on them.

Before I go and complain about this to the owner of next door, can
anyone put me right on the laws about this, please?

Dave

As the old saying goes (ish) - "give someone an inch and they take a
foot".

What if: you need to put up a dish on your own land and can't because
theirs is in the way. What now?

What if: you bought a car/van/wagon which was too big for your drive and
needed an inch or two of theirs? What if you couldn't park it where you
need to because there dish is in the way... what now?

What if: they decide that the larger dish they currently have isn't big
enough and decide to put up an even bigger one? What now?

What if: they decide that the land underneath the 'encroachment' is now
theirs as you haven't argued it? What now?

What if: you decide to sell, but have to deal with the issue of this
encroachment, "he let me do it, I'll sue if he changes his mind etc".
What now?

The list just goes on.

Encroachment is encroachment. There really is no reason to allow it.
Right now, they're encroaching. I would imagine that a letter saying so
and outlining your intentions would protect you from any fallout from
taking an angle grinder to the encroaching material - BICBW. Please do
check.

Try here... it is obviously garden orientated, but I believe the laws
and rights regarding overhang/encroachment are founded on very similar
basis.

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/

Hth
Bill

--
Someone
Posted to uk.d-i-y

cerberus wrote:
"tony sayer" wrote in message

In article , Dave
scribeth thus

[...]

Duly noted, I will look for a copy that applies to this location.

Thanks

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

somebody wrote:

In message , Dave
writes

[...]

Many thanks for that Bill. You have raised many points that could well
go wrong in the future. I will send a letter of complaint, pointing out
that I will accept the installation for the foreseeable future, but
reserve the right to have the installation removed if I wish to do so.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:23:58 +0000, Dave wrote:

Many thanks for that Bill. You have raised many points that could well
go wrong in the future. I will send a letter of complaint, pointing out
that I will accept the installation for the foreseeable future, but
reserve the right to have the installation removed if I wish to do so.

Don't forget to specify a "reasonable" notice period and if they don't
remove it in that period your right to have it removed and those costs
paid by them.

What is a "reasonable" period? 7 days seems a bit short, 28 days seems a
tad long but "very reasonable"...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:23:58 +0000, Dave wrote:

Many thanks for that Bill. You have raised many points that could well
go wrong in the future. I will send a letter of complaint, pointing out
that I will accept the installation for the foreseeable future, but
reserve the right to have the installation removed if I wish to do so.

Don't forget to specify a "reasonable" notice period and if they don't
remove it in that period your right to have it removed and those costs
paid by them.

What is a "reasonable" period? 7 days seems a bit short, 28 days seems a
tad long but "very reasonable"...

Another good point.

I will be arranging a meeting with the company that rents out the house,
sometime in the next few days.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:32:04 +0000, Dave
wrote:

... Dave Liquorice wrote:
... On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:23:58 +0000, Dave wrote:
... Many thanks for that Bill. You have raised many points that could well
... go wrong in the future. I will send a letter of complaint, pointing out
... that I will accept the installation for the foreseeable future, but
... reserve the right to have the installation removed if I wish to do so.
... Don't forget to specify a "reasonable" notice period and if they don't
... remove it in that period your right to have it removed and those costs
... paid by them.
... What is a "reasonable" period? 7 days seems a bit short, 28 days seems a
... tad long but "very reasonable"...
... Another good point.
... I will be arranging a meeting with the company that rents out the house,
... sometime in the next few days.
... Dave

Let us know the outcome won't you ?

Mike P
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike P wrote:

Let us know the outcome won't you ?

Will do

Dave

Stand-off Walter R. Home Repair 7 August 21st 06 11:21 AM
CAR STAND J T Woodworking 1 February 22nd 06 02:05 AM
What does "BOC" stand for? Ron Home Repair 6 December 12th 04 03:49 PM
Stand alone RCD r.p.mcmurphy UK diy 8 November 8th 04 02:32 PM