Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stand-off

I am replacing the 8x8 posts that hold up the roof over a concrete patio
slab.
If I just rest the posts on the slab they will be susceptible to dry rot.

Would it be OK to place the foot of the post on a pressure treated piece of
DF? Or, can I put the post on an 8x8 concrete paver? Would a paver be
crushed by the weight?

Any other solutions to avoid dry rot?
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
I am replacing the 8x8 posts that hold up the roof over a concrete patio
slab.
If I just rest the posts on the slab they will be susceptible to dry rot.

Would it be OK to place the foot of the post on a pressure treated piece of
DF? Or, can I put the post on an 8x8 concrete paver? Would a paver be
crushed by the weight?

Any other solutions to avoid dry rot?
--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

Walter-

If I just rest the posts on the slab they will be susceptible to dry rot.

yes, dry rot will be a problem

Would it be OK to place the foot of the post on a pressure treated piece of

DF?

That is a possible solution but what about the means of providing some
sort of positive connection?

Or, can I put the post on an 8x8 concrete paver?

The paver would really only be amarginal improvement over just putting
it down against the concrete.

Would a paver be crushed by the weight?

I doubt it....the paver is probably good for at least 10 kips

Any other solutions to avoid dry rot?

Yes, use Simpson Strong Tie post base

Checkout
http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...A-ABE-ABU.html

ABU88 is probably your best off the shelf choice. IMO they don't give
enough standoff but they meet the code minimum.

IMO a better alternative is a custom fabbed post base; like a beefed
up EPB66, unfortunately they don't make an EPB88

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rex Rex is offline

Yo Bob
I live in a flood-prone area where I have a similar problem, only the
post actually sit in water when it floods. Over the years posts that
sat on the concrete rotted, Pressure Treated post set on a Pressure
treated pad rotted much less. I did not try a stand off because it
increases the wicking of water up the post in a flood, but would work
well in less damp conditions. I did do one thing that worked very well:
before putting the post in I set the ends in a five gallon bucket of a
preservative chemical, like what is used to PT wood, then soaked them
in a sealant. No problems so far with these posts.
Rex
BobK207 wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
I am replacing the 8x8 posts that hold up the roof over a concrete patio
slab.
If I just rest the posts on the slab they will be susceptible to dry rot.

Would it be OK to place the foot of the post on a pressure treated piece
of
DF? Or, can I put the post on an 8x8 concrete paver? Would a paver be
crushed by the weight?

Any other solutions to avoid dry rot?

www.mcfeeleys.com has all sorts of post supports for decking. I'd use
stainless steel

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
[...]

Yo Rex-

I didn't consider the case where the post is subjected to periodic
flooding

Per the UBC, a 1" minimum standoff is required for untreated wood to
concrete. Treated wood can have direct contact to concrete.

IMO your solution in your case (periodic flooding) makes the best sense
unless you can provide enough standoff to be above the flooding.

I have in the past designed & fabbed a custom SS post base that gave me
2" standoff.

Having the wood up off the concrete "might" increase wicking (but I
doubt it, esp in a flooding condition) but it will improve
drying....standoff from concrete (esp end grain) is always better than
direct contact.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
I am replacing the 8x8 posts that hold up the roof over a concrete patio
slab.
If I just rest the posts on the slab they will be susceptible to dry rot.

Would it be OK to place the foot of the post on a pressure treated piece
of
DF? Or, can I put the post on an 8x8 concrete paver? Would a paver be
crushed by the weight?

Any other solutions to avoid dry rot?

www.mcfeeleys.com has all sorts of post supports for decking. I'd use
stainless steel

Edwin-

I went to their site but was unable to find a SS post base. Do they
have some?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobK207" wrote in message
Edwin-

I went to their site but was unable to find a SS post base. Do they
have some?

http://www.mcfeelys.com/subcat.asp?s...arance=&page=2

I see them for 6 x 6, but not for 8 x 8. May be worth a phone call to them
though.