Posted to alt.home.repair
Rex Rex is offline

Default Stand-off

Yo Bob
I live in a flood-prone area where I have a similar problem, only the
post actually sit in water when it floods. Over the years posts that
sat on the concrete rotted, Pressure Treated post set on a Pressure
treated pad rotted much less. I did not try a stand off because it
increases the wicking of water up the post in a flood, but would work
well in less damp conditions. I did do one thing that worked very well:
before putting the post in I set the ends in a five gallon bucket of a
preservative chemical, like what is used to PT wood, then soaked them
in a sealant. No problems so far with these posts.
Rex
BobK207 wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
I am replacing the 8x8 posts that hold up the roof over a concrete patio
slab.
If I just rest the posts on the slab they will be susceptible to dry rot.

Would it be OK to place the foot of the post on a pressure treated piece of
DF? Or, can I put the post on an 8x8 concrete paver? Would a paver be
crushed by the weight?

Any other solutions to avoid dry rot?
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Walter-

If I just rest the posts on the slab they will be susceptible to dry rot.

yes, dry rot will be a problem

Would it be OK to place the foot of the post on a pressure treated piece of

DF?

That is a possible solution but what about the means of providing some
sort of positive connection?

Or, can I put the post on an 8x8 concrete paver?

The paver would really only be amarginal improvement over just putting
it down against the concrete.

Would a paver be crushed by the weight?

I doubt it....the paver is probably good for at least 10 kips

Any other solutions to avoid dry rot?

Yes, use Simpson Strong Tie post base

Checkout
http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...A-ABE-ABU.html

ABU88 is probably your best off the shelf choice. IMO they don't give
enough standoff but they meet the code minimum.

IMO a better alternative is a custom fabbed post base; like a beefed
up EPB66, unfortunately they don't make an EPB88

cheers
Bob