Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 25amp Isolator switch

In article ,
Ray wrote:
Need to fit a 25amp isolator switch for my 3Kw hot tub question is do
you fit the isolator switch after the RCD Consumer Unit or to the
supply cable before going to the Consumer Unit ?

If it is 3 Kw then a more usual 20 amp type will do - and these can be
bought in the style of a light switch.

The purpose of this is to isolate the appliance for servicing etc so it
should be fitted in the cable feeding the appliance and reasonably close
to it.

--
*How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ray" wrote in message
Need to fit a 25amp isolator switch for my 3Kw hot tub question is do you
fit the isolator switch after the RCD Consumer Unit or to the supply cable
before going to the Consumer Unit ?

I think that your question raises concerns about your competence in dealing
with such issues.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 09:50:36 +0000, Huge wrote:

Ah, so no-one should ever try and learn anything about anything?

I think Dave's suggesting that the OP does his learning on jobs that
aren't so likely to kill himself and/or others if he hasn't yet learned
enough, and that his question indicates a level of inexperience
and confusion which suggests that he may get other vital aspects of
the job dangerously wrong.

--
John Stumbles

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Stumbles wrote:
On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 09:50:36 +0000, Huge wrote:

Ah, so no-one should ever try and learn anything about anything?

I think Dave's suggesting that the OP does his learning on jobs that
aren't so likely to kill himself and/or others if he hasn't yet learned
enough, and that his question indicates a level of inexperience
and confusion which suggests that he may get other vital aspects of
the job dangerously wrong.

I didn't suggest anything but it's good advice.

In an ideal world, kids will play with batteries and bulbs etc and learn
the basics of electricity long before attempting DIY on house electrics.

--
*Therapy is expensive, poppin' bubble wrap is cheap! You choose.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ray wrote:

Need to fit a 25amp isolator switch for my 3Kw hot tub question is do you
fit the isolator switch after the RCD Consumer Unit or to the supply cable
before going to the Consumer Unit ?

Can you give us some more information on your layout here?

Why can you not use the "RCD Consumer Unit" as an isolator?

Is it actually isolation you need or functional switching?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Need to fit a 25amp isolator switch for my 3Kw hot tub question is do
you fit the isolator switch after the RCD Consumer Unit or to the
supply cable before going to the Consumer Unit ?

Can you give us some more information on your layout here?

Why can you not use the "RCD Consumer Unit" as an isolator?

Is it actually isolation you need or functional switching?

I'd guess it's in the installation instructions - and the 25 amp bit a
direct quote from the 'translation'.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, try management *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 17:52:09 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Need to fit a 25amp isolator switch for my 3Kw hot tub question is do
you fit the isolator switch after the RCD Consumer Unit or to the
supply cable before going to the Consumer Unit ?

Can you give us some more information on your layout here?

Why can you not use the "RCD Consumer Unit" as an isolator?

Is it actually isolation you need or functional switching?

I'd guess it's in the installation instructions - and the 25 amp bit a
direct quote from the 'translation'.

Which raises the the possibility that this appliance might not even be for
230Vac...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geo Geo is offline

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 14:05:44 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In an ideal world, kids will play with batteries and bulbs etc and learn
the basics of electricity long before attempting DIY on house electrics.

Indeed - The Boy Electrician (1948-1966) recommended reading.

My first attempt to use mains - connected to a transformer (under father's
supervision ) resulted in considerable smoke and smell since the transformer was
an interstage valve job...

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Need to fit a 25amp isolator switch for my 3Kw hot tub question is do
you fit the isolator switch after the RCD Consumer Unit or to the
supply cable before going to the Consumer Unit ?

Can you give us some more information on your layout here?

Why can you not use the "RCD Consumer Unit" as an isolator?

Is it actually isolation you need or functional switching?

I'd guess it's in the installation instructions - and the 25 amp bit a
direct quote from the 'translation'.

Which raises the the possibility that this appliance might not even be for
230Vac...

CAUTION!!!!

3KW happens to be 25A at 120V...... Is this a USA appliance??????????
Please check the rating label!!!!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-03 21:50:58 +0000, "James Salisbury"

John Rumm wrote:
Need to fit a 25amp isolator switch for my 3Kw hot tub question is do
you fit the isolator switch after the RCD Consumer Unit or to the
supply cable before going to the Consumer Unit ?

Can you give us some more information on your layout here?

Why can you not use the "RCD Consumer Unit" as an isolator?

Is it actually isolation you need or functional switching?

I'd guess it's in the installation instructions - and the 25 amp bit a
direct quote from the 'translation'.

Which raises the the possibility that this appliance might not even be for
230Vac...

CAUTION!!!!

3KW happens to be 25A at 120V...... Is this a USA appliance??????????
Please check the rating label!!!!!!

You're right to mention it, but hot tubs I've seen in the U.S. all
connect to the 220V supply. Normally 110v circuits are 15A or
sometimes 20A.. Larger appliances are run from 220v to keep the
current and gauge of wire reasonable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In an ideal world, kids will play with batteries and bulbs etc and learn
the basics of electricity long before attempting DIY on house electrics.

Indeed - The Boy Electrician (1948-1966) recommended reading.

"The Boy Electrician" predates 1948 - my earlier copy was published in
1920 (reprinted 1921).

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Need to fit a 25amp isolator switch for my 3Kw hot tub question is do you
fit the isolator switch after the RCD Consumer Unit or to the supply cable
before going to the Consumer Unit ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ray wrote:

Why can you not use the "RCD Consumer Unit" as an isolator?

Because the CU also supplies lights & patio power sockets

OK, fair enough...

Is it actually isolation you need or functional switching?

Isolation for the hot tub only

A 3kW hot tub will actually only draw 13A not 25A. Hence a simple double
pole switch such as:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind..._20/index.html

would be fine.

If you really feel you need the ability to switch 25A for some reason then:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind..._45/index.html

Would do the trick.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ray wrote:

Do me a favour, electricity is not exactly rocket science - I simply want to
know what side of the CU it goes.

No offence intended, but the second half of your question does not
really enhance the first assertion.

The answer is: "The only one place it could go". You already have (at
least) one isolator before the CU (i.e. its main RCD). Probably another
at the head end of the submain that feeds the CU.

If all you want to do is isolate the hot tub then the isolator must be
between the MCB/fuse that supplies the circuit, and the appliance in
question (and you can't use the MCB for isolation since that is only a
single pole device).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ray wrote:

"John" wrote in message

I think that your question raises concerns about your competence in
dealing with such issues.

Do me a favour, electricity is not exactly rocket science - I simply
want to know what side of the CU it goes.

Seems you should stick to rocket science, then?

--
*7up is good for you, signed snow white*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can you give us some more information on your layout here?

CU approx 2.5metres away from Hot tub.

Why can you not use the "RCD Consumer Unit" as an isolator?

Because the CU also supplies lights & patio power sockets

Is it actually isolation you need or functional switching?

Isolation for the hot tub only

I'd guess it's in the installation instructions - and the 25 amp bit a
direct quote from the 'translation'.

Which raises the the possibility that this appliance might not even be
for
230Vac...

It is an English version hot tub of 230 volts.