Junior Member

Default Extractor fan isolator switch.

I have an extractor fan isolator switch on the outside wall(hallway) of my bathroom. The fan comes on when the light is turned on. Now I would like to put in a razor socket(for an electric tooth brush) in my bathroom. Does anyone know if I can wire a cable from the isolator switch through the loft down the inside of the wall and connect the other end to the razor socket that I would put into the wall. I know I've written this in a very basic way and the job itself would be more difficult but I'm new to diy so you'll have to fogive me.
Any ideas and tips would be very much appreciated.
Cheers
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Laurie writes:

I have an extractor fan isolator switch on the outside wall(hallway) of
my bathroom. The fan comes on when the light is turned on. Now I would
like to put in a razor socket(for an electric tooth brush) in my
bathroom. Does anyone know if I can wire a cable from the isolator
switch through the loft down the inside of the wall and connect the
other end to the razor socket that I would put into the wall. I know
I've written this in a very basic way and the job itself would be more
difficult but I'm new to diy so you'll have to fogive me.
Any ideas and tips would be very much appreciated.

That sounds fine. The shaver socket must be of the larger type
including an isolating transformer (which gives 120V and 240V output).
It must not be in Zones 0, 1, or 2, i.e. it must be at least 0.6m
horizontally from the edge of a bath or shower. I would also suggest
at least 0.6m from a basin tap. You should earth-bond the supply earth
to the rest of the bathroom's supplementary bonding, and bring that up
to current standards if it isn't already.

You should also pay your local building control to come and inspect
the installation. However, since I have recently seen such an
installation approved by building control which has a shaver socket
without an isolating transformer (which is not allowed in a bath/shower
room), you may or may not decide that level of bureaucracy is simply a
waste of money.

--
Andrew Gabriel