Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

Default Electric shower wattage

Hi,

I am getting an electric shower. I have calculated that a 9.5KW shower
should be able to deliver a 30 degree delta T at a flow rate of 4.5L/
min.

I could go for a 10.5KW unit, but this is roughly double the price

I have no real benchmark to compare against - how much of an advantage
would an extra KW be do people think?

Cheers,

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 4, 12:59 pm, Ben wrote:
Hi,

I am getting an electric shower. I have calculated that a 9.5KW shower
should be able to deliver a 30 degree delta T at a flow rate of 4.5L/
min.

I could go for a 10.5KW unit, but this is roughly double the price

I have no real benchmark to compare against - how much of an advantage
would an extra KW be do people think?

Cheers,

Ben

For what its worth..
I've fitted 7, 7.5 , 8.5 and 9.5kw showers.
7.5 is barely a shower, a 8,5 gives a reasonable shower, and theres
quite a leap in performance with 9.5.
9.5 gives a good flow at. a hot temperature.
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

Thanks. I might be able to fit a power shower. However, it would need
a pump since I am at the same level as my storage tank for hot water.
However, my hot water is free, wheras 10KW is not...

The hot water system consists of a 100L header tank with a cylinder
below - I wonder whether it would have enough capacity for a pumped
shower...

Ben

On 4 Oct, 13:17, wrote:
On Oct 4, 12:59 pm, Ben wrote:

Hi,

I am getting an electric shower. I have calculated that a 9.5KW shower
should be able to deliver a 30 degree delta T at a flow rate of 4.5L/
min.

I could go for a 10.5KW unit, but this is roughly double the price

I have no real benchmark to compare against - how much of an advantage
would an extra KW be do people think?

Cheers,

Ben

For what its worth..
I've fitted 7, 7.5 , 8.5 and 9.5kw showers.
7.5 is barely a shower, a 8,5 gives a reasonable shower, and theres
quite a leap in performance with 9.5.
9.5 gives a good flow at. a hot temperature.
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ben" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks. I might be able to fit a power shower. However, it would need
a pump since I am at the same level as my storage tank for hot water.
However, my hot water is free, wheras 10KW is not...

The hot water system consists of a 100L header tank with a cylinder
below - I wonder whether it would have enough capacity for a pumped
shower...

Ben

If the hot water cylinder is fed with cold water from the cold water tank
above it, then this is the height that matters, not the height of the hot
water cylinder ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Oct, 15:11, Ben wrote:
Thanks. I might be able to fit a power shower. However, it would need
a pump since I am at the same level as my storage tank for hot water.
However, my hot water is free, wheras 10KW is not...

The hot water system consists of a 100L header tank with a cylinder
below - I wonder whether it would have enough capacity for a pumped
shower...

Take a look at the installation instructions for the Aqualisa Quartz
pumped shower. Expensive, but brilliant!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 4, 3:11 pm, Ben wrote:
Thanks. I might be able to fit a power shower. However, it would need
a pump

Errm, isn't that the definition of a power shower, other than venturi
types?

since I am at the same level as my storage tank for hot water.
However, my hot water is free, wheras 10KW is not...

The hot water system consists of a 100L header tank with a cylinder
below - I wonder whether it would have enough capacity for a pumped
shower...

We have one separately pumped mixer shower in the en-suite which has a
dedicated 15mm hot feed close to the top of the cylinder (no special
flange used) and one "power shower" with built-in pump in the bathroom
plumbed to the 22mm feeds to the bath. They are regularly both used
simultaneously (and one will often be used again immediately
afterwards) with no problems running out of water, but we've trained
the kids not to spend too long in the shower wasting water. The boiler
timer would be on at that time but I don't know if we have a quick
recovery cyclinder or not.

MBQ

Electric Shower John UK diy 8 October 24th 06 12:39 PM
Electric shower Mr Harry UK diy 3 December 20th 04 07:28 PM
Electric shower help please Broadback UK diy 4 February 24th 04 03:20 PM
Electric shower Matt G UK diy 2 July 16th 03 10:38 PM