Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using nails to secure pipes

Under the bathroom floor I have found two large pipes from the boiler
downstairs which pass diagonally through a joist. These pipes are
"held in place" by two nails whcih are hammered into the joist at an
angle. (I could post a photo if someone could tell me how to do
it!). Is this standard practice? Should I be worried? Should I do
anything about it? Many thanks for any replies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
kent writes:
Under the bathroom floor I have found two large pipes from the boiler
downstairs which pass diagonally through a joist. These pipes are
"held in place" by two nails whcih are hammered into the joist at an
angle. (I could post a photo if someone could tell me how to do
it!). Is this standard practice? Should I be worried? Should I do
anything about it? Many thanks for any replies.

Supporting pipework on nails was standard practice with iron
pipework. All the original gas and water pipework in my house
was supported that way, and in the case of gas, these nails
also supported the weight of the gas lamps hanging from the
pipework. I can't imagine the connection you mention with pipes
going through joists, and if nails have been used with copper or
plastic pipe, I would say that's a bodge which might eventually
result in wearing a hole in the pipe.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 29, 6:57 pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article om,
kent writes:

[...]

Copper pipes (28mm?) & steel nails. Job done about 15 years ago, I
guess. The joist has been notched diagonally to let the pipes
through. So looks like a bodge! I feel inclined to leave it, but be
aware of its existence, unless someone can suggest an easy solution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 11:05:26 -0700, kent
wrote:

if nails have been used with copper or
plastic pipe, I would say that's a bodge which might eventually
result in wearing a hole in the pipe.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Copper pipes (28mm?) & steel nails. Job done about 15 years ago, I
guess. The joist has been notched diagonally to let the pipes
through. So looks like a bodge! I feel inclined to leave it, but be
aware of its existence, unless someone can suggest an easy solution.

If you have access, a couple of inches or more as necessary. of pipe
insulation over the pipe centred over the nails would not cost much
and might save any further damage.

I suppose the concern is what's happening where you don't have access.

:-(

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think I've sussed out how to upload the photo:

http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/426193d9...Yrq_GBNNo47Dh4

Hope you can see it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 12:28:58 -0700, kent
wrote:

I think I've sussed out how to upload the photo:

http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/426193d9...Yrq_GBNNo47Dh4

Hope you can see it!

Nope ..sorry .. Try Photobucket.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/426193d9..._tn_/102are2.j...

Hope you can see it!

Nope ..sorry .. Try Photobucket.com

Thanks. Can you see this?

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/c...t=100_2857.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I think I've sussed out how to upload the photo:
http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/426193d9..._tn_/102are2.j...

Hope you can see it!

Nope ..sorry .. Try Photobucket.com

Thanks. Can you see this?

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/c...on=view&curren...

Effingell. That is a bodge.

If you are looking down on them just get the nails out carefully and
check for leaks.

If you are looking up then ditto for the nails and suspect real
problems. Maybe replace the sections involved. You can then hold them
up with plastic ties nailed higher up the joist.

If getting the nails out is a problem, cut the wood back a bit and
chop the nails through. Put some tape over the pipes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I think I've sussed out how to upload the photo:
http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/426193d9..._tn_/102are2.j...

Hope you can see it!

Nope ..sorry .. Try Photobucket.com

Thanks. Can you see this?

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/c...t=100_2857.jpg

===================================
Draw pencil lines along the line of each nail and drill several holes
downwards along each line deep enough to touch the nail. When you've
drilled to the end of the nail you will be able to 'work' it without
damaging the adjacent pipe.

Once the nails are out screw or nail a metal protective plate across the
exposed pipes.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/c.../?action=view¤...

===================================
Draw pencil lines along the line of each nail and drill several holes
downwards along each line deep enough to touch the nail. When you've
drilled to the end of the nail you will be able to 'work' it without
damaging the adjacent pipe.

Once the nails are out screw or nail a metal protective plate across the
exposed pipes.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Thanks. I'll carefully remove the nails and put over a protective
plate.

The photo is taken from above. The nails aren't really holding the
pipes in and the pipes are a tight fit in the notch. I guess they
might have been put in to reduce vibration, but that is only a guess.
It might be difficult to fit pipe clips and I am wondering if there is
any kind of paste or mastic that I could put in the notch to reduce
possible vibration? The pipes get quite hot. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

==================================
I doubt if you'll get any significant vibration but you could put a thin
sliver of plastic between the two pipes to stop them rubbing against each
other. I would suggest chopping something out of a plastic microwave dish
for this purpose to ensure it can cope with the heat. Don't confine the
pipes too closely or you might get screeching / groaning noises as they
expand and contract.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You can buy a matting for that. But any rag would do I imagine. The
shoddy used for underlay is ideal. Don't bother with the drilling
idea, just saw down besides any awkward nails and pull them out if you
can -or knock them in/bend them out of the way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I did decide to carefully drill before removing the nails and they
came out easily. Thanks. Parts of an old lasagne tray now have a new
lease of life as pipe separaters! Thanks to all.

What to secure shingles with runsrealfast Home Repair 14 October 1st 07 03:34 PM
How to secure your network Martha Johnson Electronics Repair 0 November 28th 06 11:31 AM
Secure Investing! Lillie_Steins Woodworking 1 August 10th 06 03:01 PM
secure joints Oldun Woodworking 13 July 21st 05 04:05 PM
Freezing Pipes or Pipes frozen could the Instant Hot Water Recirculator from RedyTemp work [email protected] Home Repair 1 January 11th 04 12:18 PM