Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Socket box problem?

Heres a little issue that is annoying I
wonder if anyone can help.

I have just retiled the kitchen and have
an issue with an old electrical socket.
One of the screw holes in the sunk metal box
is knackered. Normally I can replace the
damaged threads with a piece from a new
box. However this box is old and has
non removable lugs. I cant replace the box
without damaging the walls. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matthew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:37:03 UTC, Matthew wrote:

Heres a little issue that is annoying I
wonder if anyone can help.

I have just retiled the kitchen and have
an issue with an old electrical socket.
One of the screw holes in the sunk metal box
is knackered. Normally I can replace the
damaged threads with a piece from a new
box. However this box is old and has
non removable lugs. I cant replace the box
without damaging the walls. Any ideas?

Depends how the thread is knackered, but you could try this:

http://tinyurl.com/2dmg66

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:37:03 UTC, Matthew wrote:

Heres a little issue that is annoying I
wonder if anyone can help.

I have just retiled the kitchen and have
an issue with an old electrical socket.
One of the screw holes in the sunk metal box
is knackered. Normally I can replace the
damaged threads with a piece from a new
box. However this box is old and has
non removable lugs. I cant replace the box
without damaging the walls. Any ideas?

Another thing. If it's a really old box, the thread may be different.
Are you using one old, and one new, screw?

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:37:03 UTC, Matthew wrote:

Heres a little issue that is annoying I
wonder if anyone can help.

I have just retiled the kitchen and have
an issue with an old electrical socket.
One of the screw holes in the sunk metal box
is knackered. Normally I can replace the
damaged threads with a piece from a new
box. However this box is old and has
non removable lugs. I cant replace the box
without damaging the walls. Any ideas?

Depends how the thread is knackered, but you could try this:

http://tinyurl.com/2dmg66

I've taped a nut on the back of the lug before now
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:37:03 UTC, Matthew wrote:

Heres a little issue that is annoying I
wonder if anyone can help.

I have just retiled the kitchen and have
an issue with an old electrical socket.
One of the screw holes in the sunk metal box
is knackered. Normally I can replace the
damaged threads with a piece from a new
box. However this box is old and has
non removable lugs. I cant replace the box
without damaging the walls. Any ideas?

Another thing. If it's a really old box, the thread may be different.
Are you using one old, and one new, screw?

http://www.diybanter.com

Use Mole Grips to gently squash in the threaded hole and then run the thread
restoring tool (tap) into the hole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks Ive just phoned the electrical wholesaler
and they sell 3.5 and 4mm hole restorers. I presume
its 3.5mm?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matthew wrote:

Thanks Ive just phoned the electrical wholesaler
and they sell 3.5 and 4mm hole restorers. I presume
its 3.5mm?

If it's an old box, chances are that the threads will be 4BA - which is a
similar diameter (about 3.6mm) to the newer 3.5mm screws, but with a
different screw pitch. If you mangle the lug a bit (as suggested by another
poster) you'll probably be able to tap a new 3.5mm thread in it, using a
hole restorer.

The alternative is to use a slightly larger (provided it will go through the
hole in the fitting) self-tapping screw.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Matthew wrote:

Thanks Ive just phoned the electrical wholesaler
and they sell 3.5 and 4mm hole restorers. I presume
its 3.5mm?

If it's an old box, chances are that the threads will be 4BA - which is a
similar diameter (about 3.6mm) to the newer 3.5mm screws, but with a
different screw pitch. If you mangle the lug a bit (as suggested by
another poster) you'll probably be able to tap a new 3.5mm thread in it,
using a hole restorer.

The alternative is to use a slightly larger (provided it will go through
the hole in the fitting) self-tapping screw.

Use a 4.0mm rethreader and a 4.0mm bolt if the threads are really knackered.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
Matthew wrote:
I have just retiled the kitchen and have
an issue with an old electrical socket.
One of the screw holes in the sunk metal box
is knackered. Normally I can replace the
damaged threads with a piece from a new
box. However this box is old and has
non removable lugs. I cant replace the box
without damaging the walls. Any ideas?

Drill out the remains of the thread and superglue a nut on the back.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Drill out the remains of the thread and superglue a nut on the back.

Since they are all galvanized you could probably solder a brass nut on too,
given a decent sized iron. Not actually tried it, but I have a similar
application which I need to fix some time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 21:46:19 +0100, "Newshound"
wrote:

Drill out the remains of the thread and superglue a nut on the back.

Since they are all galvanized you could probably solder a brass nut on too,
given a decent sized iron. Not actually tried it, but I have a similar
application which I need to fix some time.

I think that if it's virtually impossible to replace the whole box,
the best approach would be to attach a 3M5 nut to the back of the
remaining lug using Araldite, holding the nut in place with a screw
well-greased to stop it being 'Araldited' in place.

Alternatively consider Helicoils :-)

It really isn't all that difficult to replace an entire box if you
score around it with a Fgnayrl knife, avoiding the cables; there
should be a minimal amount of repair plastering to do.

--
Frank Erskine

Sky+ socket anywhere? JoeJoe UK diy 4 November 21st 06 04:07 PM
Help with outside socket htmark98 UK diy 12 March 20th 06 10:17 PM
2.5mm DC socket [email protected] UK diy 31 February 15th 06 11:24 AM
OT-ish PIR Socket Ash UK diy 2 March 9th 05 07:26 PM
Odd BT socket Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 28 September 28th 04 11:24 AM