Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ceiling showing marking

I have removed polystyrene tiles from kitchen ceiling, lines, papered
and emulsioned. After about three weeks one corner is looking brown, I
cannot feel any damp. The area is below where there was an airing
cupboard in the room above, until I removed it several months ago (the
airing cupboard not the room ;-) ).
Now it may be that the central heating pipe above is leaking, though the
pressure is not dropping on the combi boiler. The problem is that it is
my daughters house 50 miles away, so I want to resolve it, if possible,
in one visit. I will take up the floor boards upstairs and look for a
leek, if there is problem solved. However it is possible that the stain
is working through from a previous problem, if so what is the solution
please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

I have removed polystyrene tiles from kitchen ceiling, lines, papered
and emulsioned. After about three weeks one corner is looking brown, I
cannot feel any damp. The area is below where there was an airing
cupboard in the room above, until I removed it several months ago (the
airing cupboard not the room ;-) ).
Now it may be that the central heating pipe above is leaking, though
the pressure is not dropping on the combi boiler. The problem is that
it is my daughters house 50 miles away, so I want to resolve it, if
possible, in one visit. I will take up the floor boards upstairs and
look for a leek, if there is problem solved. However it is possible
that the stain is working through from a previous problem, if so what
is the solution please?

If the ceiling has ever got wet in the past, the brown stain will always
show through emulsion even if there is no current leek (or even a leak!)

The trick is to paint it with an oil-based paint - white oil-based undercoat
is fine. Once that is dry, you can *then* apply a final coat of emulsion,
and the stain won't re-appear.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
Broadback wrote:

[...]

Thanks Roger, actually after posing this question I realised that I had
the wrong corner in my mind. The corner above once had a fire place in
it, so there are definitely no piping underneath. However whoever
removed the fire did not put an air brick in, though it does not feel
damp, as the concrete base is still in place there is not much I can do
about it. I will try your idea, will it still work painting over the are
on top of the two layers of paper and the emulsion? I did wonder if PVA
might solve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
I have removed polystyrene tiles from kitchen ceiling, lines, papered
and emulsioned. After about three weeks one corner is looking brown, I
cannot feel any damp. The area is below where there was an airing
cupboard in the room above, until I removed it several months ago (the
airing cupboard not the room ;-) ).
Now it may be that the central heating pipe above is leaking, though
the pressure is not dropping on the combi boiler. The problem is that
it is my daughters house 50 miles away, so I want to resolve it, if
possible, in one visit. I will take up the floor boards upstairs and
look for a leek, if there is problem solved. However it is possible
that the stain is working through from a previous problem, if so what
is the solution please?

I've had several call outs to investigate 'leaks' that were simply old leak
stainms bleeding through emulsion paint. Coat of Stain Block will sort it
http://www.international-paints.co.u...surfaceid= 47

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:08:40 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

I've had several call outs to investigate 'leaks' that were simply old leak
stainms bleeding through emulsion paint. Coat of Stain Block will sort it
http://www.international-paints.co.u...surfaceid= 47

Hmmh:

Benefits
# Ideal over watermarks, nicotine, crayon, felt-tip pen, smoke and grease.

(...)
Preparation

Ensure all surfaces are clean, dry and free from dirt, grease and other contaminants.

What's with the grease? (Probly cut&paste error...)

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Broadback wrote:
[...]

"Overcoat in 4 hours" maybe gives it the edge over ordinary oil based
undercoat if you're in a hurry

Marking Sticks [email protected] Woodturning 6 September 2nd 05 02:52 PM
Park Marking Help Lane Metalworking 10 February 3rd 05 04:11 AM
dovetail marking Gary DeWitt Woodworking 13 November 30th 04 01:15 PM
another showing! rosie Home Ownership 4 May 28th 04 06:51 PM
smd marking Matthieu Benoit Electronics Repair 1 April 3rd 04 10:31 PM