Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cost of Installing a Central Heating System?

I am buying a small house, one bed, bathroom, kicthen and lounge.

Has anyone any experiece or guidance as to how much this is likely to
cost?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Wilmslowwhite wrote:
I am buying a small house, one bed, bathroom, kicthen and lounge.
Has anyone any experiece or guidance as to how much this is likely to
cost?

About £1000. This assumes that a suitable gas supply is already to the
property, and there are no particular difficulties in locating the
boiler re flueing. Making good and redecoration to final finish would be
extra.

1000 quid for a whole CH system?? You gotta be kidding...
I don't have a figure to quote, but it will be considerably more than
that. (And if the OP's from Wilmslow, which won't help the budget!).

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Owain wrote:
Wilmslowwhite wrote:
I am buying a small house, one bed, bathroom, kicthen and lounge.
Has anyone any experiece or guidance as to how much this is likely to
cost?

About £1000. This assumes that a suitable gas supply is already to the
property, and there are no particular difficulties in locating the
boiler re flueing. Making good and redecoration to final finish would
be extra.

1000 quid for a whole CH system?? You gotta be kidding...
I don't have a figure to quote, but it will be considerably more than
that. (And if the OP's from Wilmslow, which won't help the budget!).

David

I tend to agree. The bits alone will be at least a grand if there is
nothing there right now..thats for a combi type system: More if its
mains pressure.

Probably £1500 of labour by the time its all squared away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-25 21:59:40 +0100, Owain said:

Wilmslowwhite wrote:
I am buying a small house, one bed, bathroom, kicthen and lounge.
Has anyone any experiece or guidance as to how much this is likely to
cost?

About £1000. This assumes that a suitable gas supply is already to the
property, and there are no particular difficulties in locating the
boiler re flueing. Making good and redecoration to final finish would
be extra.

Owain

... and the rest...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:56:11 -0700, Wilmslowwhite
wrote:

I am buying a small house, one bed, bathroom, kicthen and lounge.

Has anyone any experiece or guidance as to how much this is likely to
cost?

£1500 should be absolute tops. Shop around for quotes and don't ask
BG.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote

I tend to agree. The bits alone will be at least a grand if there is
nothing there right now..thats for a combi type system: More if its mains
pressure.

Probably £1500 of labour by the time its all squared away.

Agreed.
Having recently had some upgrade work done to a larger system, I was also
thinking 2.5-3K.
However, this will depend on:
a) The availability of plumbers in your area and therefore their rates (I
contacted about 20 around Hull and only had 5 visit, of whom 3 bothered to
quote).
b) The quality of components you (or the plumber) choose to fit.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
"The Natural Philosopher" wrote

I tend to agree. The bits alone will be at least a grand if there is
nothing there right now..thats for a combi type system: More if its mains
pressure.

Probably £1500 of labour by the time its all squared away.

Agreed.
Having recently had some upgrade work done to a larger system, I was also
thinking 2.5-3K.
However, this will depend on:
a) The availability of plumbers in your area and therefore their rates (I
contacted about 20 around Hull and only had 5 visit, of whom 3 bothered to
quote).
b) The quality of components you (or the plumber) choose to fit.

Phil

Indeed. A boiler and pressure hot water tank will set you back over
£1500 quid before you even start running pipes. Have you seen the price
of copper these days?

Then you probably want to lift and relay floors to install the pipes,
they need lagging and insulating..or I suppose you could use pushfit..

Radiators aren't free either, nor are stats, or trvs or motorized
valves, then you need a switched fused spur plus some wiring up and a
timer..

Then when its all in you need to get a decorator in to make good the
mess left behind..

Most plumbers are £120 a day, and there are several days work here. I'd
say 3-5 at least. My gues is a minimum of £2000, and £3500 is a good
target to beat for a top quality system installed where none was before,
with everything tidied up and squared away properly afterwards.

You can just about buy a combi and radiators and all the bits for a
grand, for a rock bottom installation.

BUT even there, consider issues like moving to pressurised hot water in
a combi: how many showers and mixer taps may need replumbing?

I helped a friend get a PHW system put in to his existing boiler and
radiators, to allow an upstairs shower to be fitted. That was £1300 to
plumb in, with the tank.

Took 3.5 days PLUS all the little bits of copper/valves and so on.

In 2 bedroom cottage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Wilmslowwhite" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am buying a small house, one bed, bathroom, kicthen and lounge.

What? No (seperate) toilet?
No garden? No ORP (off road parking) as the local Estate Agents' say?

Has anyone any experiece or guidance as to how much this is likely to
cost?

Location? Location? Location?

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 13:22:50 +0100, wrote:

wrote:

I am buying a small house, one bed, bathroom, kicthen and lounge.

Has anyone any experiece or guidance as to how much this is likely to
cost?

£1500 should be absolute tops. Shop around for quotes and don't ask
BG.

Or ask BG first, and shop around for quotes half (or less) of their figure.

Yes. That would be best. Anything about half theirs would be par. )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 25, 8:56 pm, Wilmslowwhite wrote:
I am buying a small house, one bed, bathroom, kicthen and lounge.

Has anyone any experiece or guidance as to how much this is likely to
cost?

DIY?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Sep, 20:56, Wilmslowwhite wrote:
I am buying a small house, one bed, bathroom, kicthen and lounge.

Has anyone any experiece or guidance as to how much this is likely to
cost?

Thanks for all your comments.

I am looking at a small/cheap boiler - £300, with 4 rads and I reckon
the materials will cost £800 from a DIY chain.

I will speak to a few plumbers, my ideal scenario would be for it to
work out cheaper alround for me to buy the materials and get a plumber
to fit for £500 cash.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks to everyone once again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Wilmslowwhite" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 25 Sep, 20:56, Wilmslowwhite wrote:
I am buying a small house, one bed, bathroom, kicthen and lounge.

Has anyone any experiece or guidance as to how much this is likely to
cost?

Thanks for all your comments.

I am looking at a small/cheap boiler - £300, with 4 rads and I reckon
the materials will cost £800 from a DIY chain.

I will speak to a few plumbers, my ideal scenario would be for it to
work out cheaper alround for me to buy the materials and get a plumber
to fit for £500 cash.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks to everyone once again.

With a small cheap n nasty boiler & Screwfix rads (pretty good value for
money and look OK) and a straightforward installation i don`t think you`ll
see any change from £1700 ish. BG will want double and probably more.

richard
www.fullflow-plumbing.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wilmslowwhite wrote:

I am looking at a small/cheap boiler - £300, with 4 rads and I reckon
the materials will cost £800 from a DIY chain.

I don't think you're going to find a (new) boiler that cheaply. For a
start, these days you have to fit a condensing model, which has caused a
step-shift in prices.

I will speak to a few plumbers, my ideal scenario would be for it to
work out cheaper alround for me to buy the materials and get a plumber
to fit for £500 cash.

You'll find that's not the plumbers' ideal scenario though! They
usually expect to supply and fit, which (a) lets them add a mark-up and
which your plan deprives them of, and (b) prevents the real issue of
what happens if/when it doesn't work properly - is it down to him (bad
installation) or you (bad equipment), whereas if he provided everything
there would be no question.

Can be done, though - have done it myself! ;-)

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:46:33 -0700, Wilmslowwhite wrote:

I am looking at a small/cheap boiler - 300

I take it you're going to flog the place immediately after then?

--
John Stumbles

A backstreet vasectomy left me sterile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 19:28:18 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:46:33 -0700, Wilmslowwhite wrote:

I am looking at a small/cheap boiler - 300

I take it you're going to flog the place immediately after then?

Inside the guarantee period I would hope. See Boiler Choice FAQ.