Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing Glass From Door

I have a wooden framed door containing two double glazed units - I need to
remove the lower one. I have managed to remove the beading from the inside
side and now it looks like the unit was also put in using putty so I don't
seem to be able push the unit out from the outside.

What the easiest way to get the glass out now - scraping the putty out
seemed difficult. Should I remove the beading from the other side? Smash the
pane out (although I did want to use the original pane for the glazier to
measure)?

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

elziko wrote:

I have a wooden framed door containing two double glazed units - I need to
remove the lower one. I have managed to remove the beading from the inside
side and now it looks like the unit was also put in using putty so I don't
seem to be able push the unit out from the outside.

What the easiest way to get the glass out now - scraping the putty out
seemed difficult. Should I remove the beading from the other side? Smash the
pane out (although I did want to use the original pane for the glazier to
measure)?

TIA

If it really is putty, heat softens linseed putty. If its silicone,
that can be sliced, but I gather from what you say its real putty. No
quickie option for that I'm afraid, tough stuff.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
elziko wrote:
What the easiest way to get the glass out now - scraping the putty out
seemed difficult. Should I remove the beading from the other side? Smash
the pane out (although I did want to use the original pane for the
glazier to measure)?

A double glazed panel in a wood frame should be set in a flexible mastic -
not ordinary putty as that will cause it to flex and fail. So it will
require cutting round with a sharp knife - there should be plenty
clearance between panel and wood for this.

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 09:56:54 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
elziko wrote:
What the easiest way to get the glass out now - scraping the putty out
seemed difficult. Should I remove the beading from the other side? Smash
the pane out (although I did want to use the original pane for the
glazier to measure)?

A double glazed panel in a wood frame should be set in a flexible mastic -
not ordinary putty as that will cause it to flex and fail. So it will
require cutting round with a sharp knife - there should be plenty
clearance between panel and wood for this.

I had four replaced yesterday, the joiner used a soft rubber gasket
specially made for re-fitting double glazed units in wooden frames.

The unit is apparently made slightly smaller and stood on spacers with
a mini window sill that provides a drainage path beneath so that the
unit can't sit in water.

DG