DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Removing Glass From Door (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/215281-removing-glass-door.html)

elziko September 22nd 07 01:05 PM

Removing Glass From Door

I have a wooden framed door containing two double glazed units - I need to
remove the lower one. I have managed to remove the beading from the inside
side and now it looks like the unit was also put in using putty so I don't
seem to be able push the unit out from the outside.

What the easiest way to get the glass out now - scraping the putty out
seemed difficult. Should I remove the beading from the other side? Smash the
pane out (although I did want to use the original pane for the glazier to
measure)?

TIA

[email protected] September 24th 07 12:56 PM

Removing Glass From Door

elziko wrote:

I have a wooden framed door containing two double glazed units - I need to
remove the lower one. I have managed to remove the beading from the inside
side and now it looks like the unit was also put in using putty so I don't
seem to be able push the unit out from the outside.

What the easiest way to get the glass out now - scraping the putty out
seemed difficult. Should I remove the beading from the other side? Smash the
pane out (although I did want to use the original pane for the glazier to
measure)?

TIA

If it really is putty, heat softens linseed putty. If its silicone,
that can be sliced, but I gather from what you say its real putty. No
quickie option for that I'm afraid, tough stuff.

NT

Andy Dingley September 26th 07 01:37 AM

Removing Glass From Door

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 04:56:55 -0700, wrote:

If it really is putty, heat softens linseed putty. If its silicone,
that can be sliced, but I gather from what you say its real putty. No
quickie option for that I'm afraid, tough stuff.

I did the installs for 4 stained glass panels last week.

Multimaster and the scraper blade 8-)

Dave Plowman (News) September 26th 07 09:56 AM

Removing Glass From Door

In article ,
elziko wrote:
What the easiest way to get the glass out now - scraping the putty out
seemed difficult. Should I remove the beading from the other side? Smash
the pane out (although I did want to use the original pane for the
glazier to measure)?

A double glazed panel in a wood frame should be set in a flexible mastic -
not ordinary putty as that will cause it to flex and fail. So it will
require cutting round with a sharp knife - there should be plenty
clearance between panel and wood for this.

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Derek Geldard September 26th 07 11:14 AM

Removing Glass From Door

elziko wrote:

I have a wooden framed door containing two double glazed units - I need to
remove the lower one. I have managed to remove the beading from the inside
side and now it looks like the unit was also put in using putty so I don't
seem to be able push the unit out from the outside.

What the easiest way to get the glass out now - scraping the putty out
seemed difficult. Should I remove the beading from the other side? Smash the
pane out (although I did want to use the original pane for the glazier to
measure)?

TIA

If it really is putty, heat softens linseed putty. If its silicone,
that can be sliced, but I gather from what you say its real putty. No
quickie option for that I'm afraid, tough stuff.

If the putty has gone hard that is probably the reason the units
failed, (So they say).

My units were installed 15 years ago with special butyl putty (I saw
the fitters do it) which was not supposed to go hard. It had gone pot
hard and two units either side of the door had failed due vibration
consequent on door slamming.

DG

Derek Geldard September 26th 07 11:20 AM

Removing Glass From Door

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 09:56:54 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
elziko wrote:
What the easiest way to get the glass out now - scraping the putty out
seemed difficult. Should I remove the beading from the other side? Smash
the pane out (although I did want to use the original pane for the
glazier to measure)?

A double glazed panel in a wood frame should be set in a flexible mastic -
not ordinary putty as that will cause it to flex and fail. So it will
require cutting round with a sharp knife - there should be plenty
clearance between panel and wood for this.

I had four replaced yesterday, the joiner used a soft rubber gasket
specially made for re-fitting double glazed units in wooden frames.

The unit is apparently made slightly smaller and stood on spacers with
a mini window sill that provides a drainage path beneath so that the
unit can't sit in water.

DG