Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to replace lead riser 1930's house

The water supply to my house has a lead riser which comes in at the
corner of the kitchen through the concrete floor - how do I replace it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
ups.com...
The water supply to my house has a lead riser which comes in at the
corner of the kitchen through the concrete floor - how do I replace

it?

Ignore the old pipe, leave it in situ, and run in your new PE blue
pipe externally in a trench deep enough to avoid frost and mechanical
damage, bringing it into the house at the most convenient point. Put
an easily accessable tap on it as soon as it enters the house.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

405 TD Estate wrote:
The water supply to my house has a lead riser which comes in at the
corner of the kitchen through the concrete floor - how do I replace it?

How far do you need to go back to find something that is not lead? Is
this point on your property?

(I have a vague recollection of their being some requirement for water
companies to meet some of the cost of replacing lead incomers)

Are you in a hard water area (in which case the lead itself matters far
less)?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
ups.com...
The water supply to my house has a lead riser which comes in at the
corner of the kitchen through the concrete floor - how do I replace it?

Why bother?

Ours is lead too, it's not a problem.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 13:31:19 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

405 TD Estate wrote:
The water supply to my house has a lead riser which comes in at the
corner of the kitchen through the concrete floor - how do I replace it?

How far do you need to go back to find something that is not lead? Is
this point on your property?

You can avoid the water company by changing from their lead to your
plastic at your property boundary.

(I have a vague recollection of their being some requirement for water
companies to meet some of the cost of replacing lead incomers)

depends on the comapany and the water.

Are you in a hard water area (in which case the lead itself matters far
less)?

.... and the water company won't replace their lead for free.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:28:50 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
ups.com...
The water supply to my house has a lead riser which comes in at the
corner of the kitchen through the concrete floor - how do I replace it?

Why bother?

Ours is lead too, it's not a problem.

Quite. The main reason to change it would be:

1) it's leaking
2) it's in the way of your refurbishment plans.
3) you need a bigger mains pipe to support revised plumbing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

405 TD Estate wrote:
The water supply to my house has a lead riser which comes in at the
corner of the kitchen through the concrete floor - how do I replace it?

How far do you need to go back to find something that is not lead? Is
this point on your property?

You can avoid the water company by changing from their lead to your
plastic at your property boundary.

If they still have lead, it hardly seems worth changing yours... (unless
it is a serious flow rate restriction)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rang up the water company and I think they will do a water quality
test for lead - i'll take it from there.

I could do with making sure the water sample is a worst case scenarion
so I guess water which has been sat overnight in the pipe? But then of
course I would need to run some water through since I would want to
sample the water that is sat in the lead part overnight.... I imagine
the lead contant could vary a lot depending on how the measurement is
taken?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
ups.com...
Rang up the water company and I think they will do a water quality
test for lead - i'll take it from there.

I could do with making sure the water sample is a worst case

scenarion
so I guess water which has been sat overnight in the pipe? But then

of
course I would need to run some water through since I would want to
sample the water that is sat in the lead part overnight.... I

imagine
the lead contant could vary a lot depending on how the measurement

is
taken?

Lead salts are far more soluble in hot water, and barely soluble in
cold water at all. How you use this information is up to you .........

AWEM