Velvet

Default Stepped crack in 1930's house - links to photos

This one shows the entire crack (I don't think that distortion on the
window is real, think that's my camera lens!)

http://www.velvetpurrs.com/pics/LJpi...e/04300006.JPG

and a closer look at the worst part of the crack (it tapers out the
further down it goes):

http://www.velvetpurrs.com/pics/LJpi...e/04300005.JPG

This one shows the overall style of the house and gives some idea of
size of windows etc:

http://www.velvetpurrs.com/pics/LJpi...e/04300008.JPG

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Velvet wrote:
This one shows the entire crack (I don't think that distortion on the
window is real, think that's my camera lens!)

http://www.velvetpurrs.com/pics/LJpi...e/04300006.JPG

and a closer look at the worst part of the crack (it tapers out the
further down it goes):

http://www.velvetpurrs.com/pics/LJpi...e/04300005.JPG

This one shows the overall style of the house and gives some idea of
size of windows etc:

http://www.velvetpurrs.com/pics/LJpi...e/04300008.JPG

Yes, they are pictures of a crack.
We could all compare pictures of cracks; or was there an ulterior
purpose for posting the pictures of your ahem...crack?

Doesn't look like any cause of concern to my untrained eye.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Velvet

Yes, there is an ulterior motive, and it can be found in the other
thread I started with a similar subject :-P

I think you've contributed to it by now, so you've obviously discovered
the significance of my posting pictures of *a* crack :-)

Chris Bacon

Velvet wrote:
http://www.velvetpurrs.com/pics/LJpi...e/04300006.JPG
http://www.velvetpurrs.com/pics/LJpi...e/04300005.JPG
http://www.velvetpurrs.com/pics/LJpi...e/04300008.JPG

Any chance of some pictures showing the general area around and
including the window? These ones are very close/distant with
nothing in between to show the surrounding structure.
Velvet

There will be, I am back there tomorrow armed with camera again. Only
took a couple cos at the time was just to get parental opinion on, but
since have got the oportunity will grab some more that give a better
idea.

tarquinlinbin

On 2 May 2005 06:38:30 -0700, "Velvet" wrote:

This one shows the entire crack (I don't think that distortion on the
window is real, think that's my camera lens!)

http://www.velvetpurrs.com/pics/LJpi...e/04300006.JPG

and a closer look at the worst part of the crack (it tapers out the
further down it goes):

http://www.velvetpurrs.com/pics/LJpi...e/04300005.JPG

This one shows the overall style of the house and gives some idea of
size of windows etc:

http://www.velvetpurrs.com/pics/LJpi...e/04300008.JPG

When comparing cracks you also really need to collate data on timefram
i.e how long its taken to develop,has the separation rate speeded
up/slowed down etc,you;d probably have to install reference pins to
gather this info...more pics would help and also a pointer as to the
location of the crack on the wider pic.
Velvet

Additional pointers are in the partnering thread to this. Basically
from lower right windowsill heading downwards to the left (toward
centre of below window) and not as far down as the DPC.

Time scales would be wonderful to have, however, I'm a potential buyer
thus while it doesn't appear to have moved in the last two weeks, two
weeks isn't anywhere near long enough. That said, I'm not going to be
able to monitor it over a year, unless I buy the place, and that's my
dilemma :-)

Set Square

Velvet wrote:

This one shows the entire crack (I don't think that distortion on the
window is real, think that's my camera lens!)

http://www.velvetpurrs.com/pics/LJpi...e/04300006.JPG

and a closer look at the worst part of the crack (it tapers out the
further down it goes):

http://www.velvetpurrs.com/pics/LJpi...e/04300005.JPG

This one shows the overall style of the house and gives some idea of
size of windows etc:

http://www.velvetpurrs.com/pics/LJpi...e/04300008.JPG

Many houses have very similar "settlement" cracks to these, and it's usually
nothing to worry about. However, they're generally higher up the wall -
above a downstairs window, where the lintel has settled a bit.

Finding it low down on the wall is, in my view, a bit more worrying -
suggesting that the foundations may have settled. Even that may not be a
problem. It may have happened a very long time ago, and been stable ever
since. It may even have been due to a one-off event - such as an earthquake,
or maybe a nearby bomb in the war.

I think that, in your position, I would want to get a structural engineer to
expose the foundations and to advise on their suitability - taking into
account their depth, thickness and the soil type. Provided that didn't show
up anything untoward, I would proceed with my offer.
--
Cheers,
Set Square