Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What has happened to gloss paint?

Hi

When I've previously used Dulux non-drip gloss it has been quite a
thick mixture with little running and the had the aroma of a chemicals
works.

Now we've got a lot of woodwork to paint, the new stuff from Dulux
runs like Ben Johnson, is significantly thinner and doesn't even smell
nice!

It says it can be cleaned by water rather than white spirit, so I
presume something has fundamentally changed (for the worse).

Are there any brands which work better at the moment?

Thanks!

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 20, 11:29 am, wrote:
Hi

When I've previously used Dulux non-drip gloss it has been quite a
thick mixture with little running and the had the aroma of a chemicals
works.

Now we've got a lot of woodwork to paint, the new stuff from Dulux
runs like Ben Johnson, is significantly thinner and doesn't even smell
nice!

It says it can be cleaned by water rather than white spirit, so I
presume something has fundamentally changed (for the worse).

Are there any brands which work better at the moment?

Thanks!

Matt

Look for the tins with "High VOC" labels on them. The water based
stuff is crap IMHO.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 20, 11:29 am, wrote:
Hi

When I've previously used Dulux non-drip gloss it has been quite a
thick mixture with little running and the had the aroma of a chemicals
works.

Now we've got a lot of woodwork to paint, the new stuff from Dulux
runs like Ben Johnson, is significantly thinner and doesn't even smell
nice!

It says it can be cleaned by water rather than white spirit, so I
presume something has fundamentally changed (for the worse).

Are there any brands which work better at the moment?

Thanks!

Matt

Look for the tins with "High VOC" labels on them. The water based
stuff is crap IMHO.

Indeed. Until recently stuff was made just for its quality with no regard
for safety or the environment. Now we are more safety/environment conscious
there are changes to products which reflect this. This always means a drop
in quality. Occasionally a new good product is released (such as Flash
Ultimate cleaner). As it is (a) bloody good and (b) clearly a hazard to
lungs and breathing, I expect it to be removed and replaced with something
pants.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:
Occasionally a new
good product is released (such as Flash Ultimate cleaner). As it is
(a) bloody good and (b) clearly a hazard to lungs and breathing, I
expect it to be removed and replaced with something pants.

Seconded! Flash Ultimate really works well - gets stains off bogs in seconds
but is choking, therefore it will be banned fairly soon.

Perhaps a new label is in order instead: "Not to be used by idiots".

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
Bob Mannix wrote:
Occasionally a new
good product is released (such as Flash Ultimate cleaner). As it is
(a) bloody good and (b) clearly a hazard to lungs and breathing, I
expect it to be removed and replaced with something pants.

Seconded! Flash Ultimate really works well - gets stains off bogs in
seconds but is choking, therefore it will be banned fairly soon.

Perhaps a new label is in order instead: "Not to be used by idiots".

Si

Are you saying it's EVEN better than Cillit Bang??

Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:
Occasionally a new
good product is released (such as Flash Ultimate cleaner). As it is
(a) bloody good and (b) clearly a hazard to lungs and breathing, I
expect it to be removed and replaced with something pants.

Seconded! Flash Ultimate really works well - gets stains off bogs in
seconds but is choking, therefore it will be banned fairly soon.

Perhaps a new label is in order instead: "Not to be used by idiots".

Si

Are you saying it's EVEN better than Cillit Bang??

Ron

Much better than Cillit Bang IMHO which is somewhat(!) over hyped

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Big Ron wrote:
"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in
message ...

Seconded! Flash Ultimate really works well - gets stains off bogs in
seconds but is choking, therefore it will be banned fairly soon.

Perhaps a new label is in order instead: "Not to be used by idiots".

Si

Are you saying it's EVEN better than Cillit Bang??

Heh. No idea, I wouldn't buy Cillit Bang because of that annoying tosser who
advertises it. I told 'em so too.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

When I've previously used Dulux non-drip gloss it has been quite a
thick mixture with little running and the had the aroma of a

chemicals
works.

Now we've got a lot of woodwork to paint, the new stuff from Dulux
runs like Ben Johnson, is significantly thinner and doesn't even

smell
nice!

It says it can be cleaned by water rather than white spirit, so I
presume something has fundamentally changed (for the worse).

Are there any brands which work better at the moment?

Thanks!

Matt

Ah but it's safer, good for the environment, bio-degradable, Brussels
Approved, cheaper to make. The fact it doen't work doesn't come into
the equation!!!!!!!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi

When I've previously used Dulux non-drip gloss it has been quite a
thick mixture with little running and the had the aroma of a chemicals
works.

Now we've got a lot of woodwork to paint, the new stuff from Dulux
runs like Ben Johnson, is significantly thinner and doesn't even smell
nice!

It says it can be cleaned by water rather than white spirit, so I
presume something has fundamentally changed (for the worse).

Are there any brands which work better at the moment?

Thanks!

Matt

Leyland gloss is good, but no gtee is hasnt just or wont change.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Sep, 11:29, wrote:
Hi

When I've previously used Dulux non-drip gloss it has been quite a
thick mixture with little running and the had the aroma of a chemicals
works.

Now we've got a lot of woodwork to paint, the new stuff from Dulux
runs like Ben Johnson, is significantly thinner and doesn't even smell
nice!

It says it can be cleaned by water rather than white spirit, so I
presume something has fundamentally changed (for the worse).

Are there any brands which work better at the moment?

Thanks!

Matt

We had that problem a year or more ago. Suddenly my other half, who
does all of the decorating really well, found that she couldn't paint
any more. The finish was awful with lots of brush marks. The paint
ran and sagged. It was impossible to keep a wet edge when painting
large areas like doors.

Erica rang Dulux who fessed-up pretty much straight away. They said
they knew about these problems, were sorry that it "wasn't suitable
for her application" and offered her money back on the tin(s). We
went out and bought "high VOC" and normality was restored - the doors
look good now too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Calvin" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 20 Sep, 11:29, wrote:
[...]

IMHO non-drip gloss is pants anyway and it's really worth learning how to
use something like Dulux "Trade" liquid gloss. You get a much better finish
and you just have to learn how not to get the runs (IYSWIM).

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 21, 8:12 am, "Bob Mannix" wrote:
"Calvin" wrote in message

ups.com...

On 20 Sep, 11:29, wrote:
[...]

Not eating too much curry helps.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:40:00 -0700, Calvin
wrote:

On 20 Sep, 11:29, wrote:
Hi

When I've previously used Dulux non-drip gloss it has been quite a
thick mixture with little running and the had the aroma of a chemicals
works.

Now we've got a lot of woodwork to paint, the new stuff from Dulux
runs like Ben Johnson, is significantly thinner and doesn't even smell
nice!

It says it can be cleaned by water rather than white spirit, so I
presume something has fundamentally changed (for the worse).

Sorry, I don't have the original post to quote direct. I thought that
I saw two versions of Dulux gloss on the shelves at a DIY store. The
"professional" one is indeed water based but I don't remember it being
a non-drip paint.

I don't know whether various governments are putting pressure of paint
manufacturers to use less volatile compounds?

I used some once and it was very differnt to "traditional" gloss. I
have to say that whilst the finish showed some brush strokes, I did
enjoy the convenience of washing in water.

The other thing is that it is supposed to be non yellowing. We painted
all out interior woodwork in white last year with traditional gloss
and it is yellow already. What is going on there?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Calvin wrote:
On 20 Sep, 11:29, wrote:

Hi

When I've previously used Dulux non-drip gloss it has been quite a
thick mixture with little running and the had the aroma of a chemicals
works.

Now we've got a lot of woodwork to paint, the new stuff from Dulux
runs like Ben Johnson, is significantly thinner and doesn't even smell
nice!

It says it can be cleaned by water rather than white spirit, so I
presume something has fundamentally changed (for the worse).

Are there any brands which work better at the moment?

Thanks!

Matt

We had that problem a year or more ago. Suddenly my other half, who
does all of the decorating really well, found that she couldn't paint
any more. The finish was awful with lots of brush marks.

The brush marks are made because you are using the wrong type of brush.

When we came to decorate the hall, stairs and landing, I told my wife
that I was getting too old to be doing the big drop of wall paper on the
stairs and that we were going to have to get some one in for this.

I took of the doors and got some 40's grit wet and dry and gave the
doors a good rubbing down. When she painted the first door (it was laid
across 2 work benches, it dried with very bad brush marks in it. I went
back to the Dulux Decorator centre to ask why. They explained that the
new water based paints require a brush that does not have hollow fibre
bristles. He produced a display brush that was suitable and proceeded to
bash it down on the counter, bristle point first, to show that it would
not deform and explained that it did not draw paint into it and would
leave no brush marks. It worked :-)

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Calvin wrote:
On 20 Sep, 11:29, wrote:

. I went back to the Dulux Decorator centre to ask why. They explained that the
new water based paints require a brush that does not have hollow fibre
bristles. He produced a display brush that was suitable and proceeded to
bash it down on the counter, bristle point first, to show that it would
not deform and explained that it did not draw paint into it and would
leave no brush marks. It worked :-)

Dave

What was the name/make and price of the brush?

Ste.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

operative wrote:
Dave wrote:

Calvin wrote:

On 20 Sep, 11:29, wrote:

. I went back to the Dulux Decorator centre to ask why. They explained
that the new water based paints require a brush that does not have
hollow fibre bristles. He produced a display brush that was suitable
and proceeded to bash it down on the counter, bristle point first, to
show that it would not deform and explained that it did not draw paint
into it and would leave no brush marks. It worked :-)

Dave

What was the name/make and price of the brush?

I'll have to get back to you on that. Wife's sister was found dead this
morning.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
writes
What was the name/make and price of the brush?

I'll have to get back to you on that. Wife's sister was found dead this
morning.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
operative wrote:

Dave wrote:

Calvin wrote:

On 20 Sep, 11:29, wrote:

. I went back to the Dulux Decorator centre to ask why. They
explained that the new water based paints require a brush that does
not have hollow fibre bristles. He produced a display brush that was
suitable and proceeded to bash it down on the counter, bristle point
first, to show that it would not deform and explained that it did not
draw paint into it and would leave no brush marks. It worked :-)

Dave

What was the name/make and price of the brush?

The make was Purdy and the cost of a 3 inch brush is £21-49 inc VAT at
my local Dulux centre.

Dave

White gloss paint Geoff Berrow UK diy 16 August 13th 07 09:10 AM
Gah...gloss paint Ben UK diy 24 April 8th 07 08:10 PM
OK to Paint over New Gloss? [email protected] UK diy 1 June 1st 06 11:08 AM
Emulsion paint on top of gloss? Mark UK diy 2 April 22nd 06 01:31 PM
Gloss paint and age-discolouration Frank Z UK diy 1 August 4th 03 08:22 AM