Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default White gloss paint

Went to look at paint today at Focus and all brand said Pure Brilliant
White. ISTR someone saying don't use Dulux PBW because it will yellow
quickly but are all brands the same?

What should I get?
--
Regards,

Geoff Berrow
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Geoff Berrow" wrote in message
Went to look at paint today at Focus and all brand said Pure Brilliant
White. ISTR someone saying don't use Dulux PBW because it will yellow
quickly but are all brands the same?

What should I get?
--
Regards,

Geoff Berrow

All white gloss paint yellows with age.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
k...

"Geoff Berrow" wrote in message
Went to look at paint today at Focus and all brand said Pure Brilliant
White. ISTR someone saying don't use Dulux PBW because it will yellow
quickly but are all brands the same?

What should I get?
--
Regards,

Geoff Berrow

All white gloss paint yellows with age.

forgot to say...

if you white to stay white use...car paint ie cellulose

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geoff Berrow wrote:
Went to look at paint today at Focus and all brand said Pure Brilliant
White. ISTR someone saying don't use Dulux PBW because it will
yellow quickly but are all brands the same?

Good rule of thumb with paint - the more you pay the better it is, Stick to
Dulux or Crown, avoid own label brands.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Geoff Berrow" wrote in message
Went to look at paint today at Focus and all brand said Pure Brilliant
White. ISTR someone saying don't use Dulux PBW because it will yellow
quickly but are all brands the same?

Most will use the same pigment - titanium oxide IIRC - but the covering
power varies enormously, roughly proportionately to the price.

What should I get?

I only ever use Dulux, or for special paints International Paint or
Hammerite

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Aug, 01:30, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com
wrote:
"Geoff Berrow" wrote in message

Went to look at paint today at Focus and all brand said Pure Brilliant
White. ISTR someone saying don't use Dulux PBW because it will yellow
quickly but are all brands the same?

Most will use the same pigment - titanium oxide IIRC - but the covering
power varies enormously, roughly proportionately to the price.

What should I get?

I only ever use Dulux, or for special paints International Paint or
Hammerite

Colin Bignell

All whites yellow over time. Brilliant white is better than flake
white, cremnitz white etc in this respect. Leyland white gloss is good
stuff too.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jal jal is offline

In article ,
"George" wrote:

All white gloss paint yellows with age.

But some faster than others: there was a very enlightening exchange in
here a few days ago (forgotten the thread!) where it was explained that
oil-based yellow faster than water based, and that Pure Brilliant White
will deteriorate quickly if it never sees the light of day, because it's
designed to thrive on ultraviolet light - !

(which is probably the reason for the origin of this thread)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jal wrote:
In article ,
"George" wrote:
All white gloss paint yellows with age.

But some faster than others: there was a very enlightening exchange in
here a few days ago (forgotten the thread!) where it was explained that
oil-based yellow faster than water based, and that Pure Brilliant White
will deteriorate quickly if it never sees the light of day, because it's
designed to thrive on ultraviolet light - !

It's not that complicated. It's the resin that yellows, not the pigment.
The acrylics don't yellow at all, but they have no resistance to wear
and tear.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Geoff Berrow writes:
Went to look at paint today at Focus and all brand said Pure Brilliant
White. ISTR someone saying don't use Dulux PBW because it will yellow
quickly but are all brands the same?

What should I get?

I am after recommendations for white gloss for radiator pipes.
Very many years ago (too many to be representative of anything
you would buy today), I did some in Dulux and some in Crown,
and the Crown went yellow in a few months.

Also, I've got some copper pipes which I would like to polish
up. What would be a good laqueur to maintain the fresh copper
look?

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

contained the following:

But some faster than others: there was a very enlightening exchange in
here a few days ago (forgotten the thread!) where it was explained that
oil-based yellow faster than water based, and that Pure Brilliant White
will deteriorate quickly if it never sees the light of day, because it's
designed to thrive on ultraviolet light - !

(which is probably the reason for the origin of this thread)

Yes it was. However, I didn't have time to look around to find some
trade paint and all that Focus had was PBW (in various brands) Ended up
buying Crown PBW liquid gloss.

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Aug, 16:06, Stuart Noble wrote:

It's not that complicated. It's the resin that yellows, not the pigment.

Not so!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Aug, 19:17, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
Also, I've got some copper pipes which I would like to polish
up. What would be a good laqueur to maintain the fresh copper
look?

Rustin's is hard to beat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-09, The Medway Handyman wrote:
Geoff Berrow wrote:
Went to look at paint today at Focus and all brand said Pure Brilliant
White. ISTR someone saying don't use Dulux PBW because it will
yellow quickly but are all brands the same?

Good rule of thumb with paint - the more you pay the better it is, Stick to
Dulux or Crown, avoid own label brands.

Hear, hear.

I no longer buy Focus own brand anything, since IME it's all crap.

Matches their shop assistants for the most part.