Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas shut off valve.

Tarting up a kitchen at the moment. Whilst removing the inset gas hob I
found it was 'hard plumbed' in copper pipe, rather than a rubber hose &
bayonet fitting.

Just before the connection to the hob was a service valve.

Looked just like a standard water service valve to me. Fine for shutting
off the water supply to a tap, but are these legal for shutting off gas
pipes?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 22:46:10 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Tarting up a kitchen at the moment. Whilst removing the inset gas hob I
found it was 'hard plumbed' in copper pipe, rather than a rubber hose &
bayonet fitting.

Just before the connection to the hob was a service valve.

Looked just like a standard water service valve to me. Fine for shutting
off the water supply to a tap, but are these legal for shutting off gas
pipes?

Thee are lots of different types of "water service valves" . Do you
have a pic u can host somewhere that we can see ?
Is it like these ? Some can be used for gas and water .

or any of the others

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Tarting up a kitchen at the moment. Whilst removing the inset gas hob I
found it was 'hard plumbed' in copper pipe, rather than a rubber hose &
bayonet fitting.

Just before the connection to the hob was a service valve.

Looked just like a standard water service valve to me. Fine for shutting
off the water supply to a tap, but are these legal for shutting off gas
pipes?

There are some gas ones which look like water ones, made
by NEVA. The gas ones are the ones on the dark line in the
picture http://www.embrass.co.uk/images/neva01.jpg
My Keston came with the 4th one on that line.
My multipoint gas heater came with the first on that
line which also has an integral pressure test point.
They can be locked in the off position by refitting the
top circlip the other way round.

Of course, it might be the wrong part has been used in
your case.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
Tarting up a kitchen at the moment. Whilst removing the inset gas hob I
found it was 'hard plumbed' in copper pipe, rather than a rubber hose &
bayonet fitting.

Exactly what I found (in my kitchen) a month or so ago.

Just before the connection to the hob was a service valve.

Lucky you - the previous owner didn't bother with such niceties here.

Looked just like a standard water service valve to me. Fine for shutting
off the water supply to a tap, but are these legal for shutting off gas
pipes?

I bought this
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100576&ts=83053&id=10563
which IIRC had the word 'Gas' embossed on the side. They're cheap enough
to buy for you to replace if you're in doubt - no?

--
dave @ stejonda
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2007 07:27, dave @ stejonda wrote:

They're cheap enough
to buy for you to replace if you're in doubt - no?

But in the case of TMH it would be clear he can't work on a customer's
gas installation, unless he can transmogrify himself into a corgi?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
On 19/09/2007 07:27, dave @ stejonda wrote:

They're cheap enough to buy for you to replace if you're in doubt -
no?

But in the case of TMH it would be clear he can't work on a customer's
gas installation, unless he can transmogrify himself into a corgi?

ahhh - true

--
dave @ stejonda
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dave @ stejonda wrote:
In message , Andy Burns
writes
On 19/09/2007 07:27, dave @ stejonda wrote:

They're cheap enough to buy for you to replace if you're in doubt -
no?

But in the case of TMH it would be clear he can't work on a
customer's gas installation, unless he can transmogrify himself into
a corgi?

ahhh - true

Indeed. I stopped at that point & refered her to my CORGI mate. Since the
gas hob was being replaced by an electric one, all he did was blank it off -
which I could have easily done, but rules is rules. Had it been in my own
house I would have done it myself.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 22:46:10 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Tarting up a kitchen at the moment. Whilst removing the inset gas hob I
found it was 'hard plumbed' in copper pipe, rather than a rubber hose &
bayonet fitting.

Which is as it should be, FWIW. Hose and bayonet is for movable cookers
only.

--
John Stumbles

Xenophobia? - sounds a bit foreign to me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 22:46:10 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Tarting up a kitchen at the moment. Whilst removing the inset gas
hob I found it was 'hard plumbed' in copper pipe, rather than a
rubber hose & bayonet fitting.

Which is as it should be, FWIW. Hose and bayonet is for movable
cookers only.

Interesting! I've seen several hobs connected via hose & bayonet, this was
the first hard plumbed one!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:34:40 +0100, me9 wrote:

On 19 Sep,
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

John Stumbles wrote:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 22:46:10 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Tarting up a kitchen at the moment. Whilst removing the inset gas
hob I found it was 'hard plumbed' in copper pipe, rather than a
rubber hose & bayonet fitting.

Which is as it should be, FWIW. Hose and bayonet is for movable
cookers only.

Interesting! I've seen several hobs connected via hose & bayonet, this was
the first hard plumbed one!

It was acceptable until a few years ago.

It was barely acceptable until Nov 2004 when it became unacceptable
unless the manufacturer explicitly requires the use of a flexible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Tarting up a kitchen at the moment. Whilst removing the inset gas
hob I found it was 'hard plumbed' in copper pipe, rather than a
rubber hose & bayonet fitting.

Just before the connection to the hob was a service valve.

Looked just like a standard water service valve to me. Fine for
shutting off the water supply to a tap, but are these legal for
shutting off gas pipes?

Thee are lots of different types of "water service valves" . Do you
have a pic u can host somewhere that we can see ?
Is it like these ? Some can be used for gas and water .

or any of the others

Nope twas like this;

Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Tarting up a kitchen at the moment. Whilst removing the inset gas
hob I found it was 'hard plumbed' in copper pipe, rather than a
rubber hose & bayonet fitting.

Just before the connection to the hob was a service valve.

Looked just like a standard water service valve to me. Fine for
shutting off the water supply to a tap, but are these legal for
shutting off gas pipes?

Thee are lots of different types of "water service valves" . Do you
have a pic u can host somewhere that we can see ?
Is it like these ? Some can be used for gas and water .

or any of the others

Nope twas like this;

Hmmm.Does like like just a water type valve unless someone else knows
different
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart B wrote:
On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 19:24:22 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"

Nope twas like this;

Hmmm.Does like like just a water type valve unless someone else knows
different

My thoughts exactly.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Shut Off Valve help!! zano Home Repair 2 April 10th 07 09:50 PM
Sweating Shut-Off Valve mjb920 Home Repair 14 October 20th 06 04:18 AM
Shut-off Valve for Tub Faucet frank1492 Home Repair 3 February 13th 06 12:12 PM
Need help with shut-off valve Walter R. Home Repair 10 April 3rd 05 05:03 PM