Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas shut off valve.

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Tarting up a kitchen at the moment. Whilst removing the inset gas hob I
found it was 'hard plumbed' in copper pipe, rather than a rubber hose &
bayonet fitting.

Just before the connection to the hob was a service valve.

Looked just like a standard water service valve to me. Fine for shutting
off the water supply to a tap, but are these legal for shutting off gas
pipes?

There are some gas ones which look like water ones, made
by NEVA. The gas ones are the ones on the dark line in the
picture http://www.embrass.co.uk/images/neva01.jpg
My Keston came with the 4th one on that line.
My multipoint gas heater came with the first on that
line which also has an integral pressure test point.
They can be locked in the off position by refitting the
top circlip the other way round.

Of course, it might be the wrong part has been used in
your case.

--
Andrew Gabriel