Posted to uk.d-i-y
dave @ stejonda dave @ stejonda is offline

Default Gas shut off valve.

In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
Tarting up a kitchen at the moment. Whilst removing the inset gas hob I
found it was 'hard plumbed' in copper pipe, rather than a rubber hose &
bayonet fitting.

Exactly what I found (in my kitchen) a month or so ago.

Just before the connection to the hob was a service valve.

Lucky you - the previous owner didn't bother with such niceties here.

Looked just like a standard water service valve to me. Fine for shutting
off the water supply to a tap, but are these legal for shutting off gas
pipes?

I bought this
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100576&ts=83053&id=10563
which IIRC had the word 'Gas' embossed on the side. They're cheap enough
to buy for you to replace if you're in doubt - no?

--
dave @ stejonda