Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default (OT?) 60kHz MSF Radio time signal

For quite a few years I've had reliable time around my home based on
domestic clocks using the Rugby 60kHz MSF transmitter. Last April the MSF
transmitter was moved to Cumbria, and since then I've noticed glitches in
the delivery of accurate time. e.g. This morning my lounge clock was
precisely1 hour ahead of correct time, and a few weeks ago only the seconds
figure was running correctly. A relative in the Huntingdon area has also
reported problems. (And we're not living in electrically screened
buildings - just normal bricks and mortar houses)

Just wondering how others are getting on? (Direct me if there's a better
newsgroup for this ...)

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Malcolm
Stewart scribeth thus
For quite a few years I've had reliable time around my home based on
domestic clocks using the Rugby 60kHz MSF transmitter. Last April the MSF
transmitter was moved to Cumbria, and since then I've noticed glitches in
the delivery of accurate time. e.g. This morning my lounge clock was
precisely1 hour ahead of correct time, and a few weeks ago only the seconds
figure was running correctly. A relative in the Huntingdon area has also
reported problems. (And we're not living in electrically screened
buildings - just normal bricks and mortar houses)

Just wondering how others are getting on? (Direct me if there's a better
newsgroup for this ...)

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

As an NPL time user there have been quite a few complaints from people
in built up areas of the south, whereas people north of the border
report better reception..

Which is hardly surprising!..

http://www.npl.co.uk/time/msf/

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Malcolm
Stewart writes
For quite a few years I've had reliable time around my home based on
domestic clocks using the Rugby 60kHz MSF transmitter. Last April the MSF
transmitter was moved to Cumbria, and since then I've noticed glitches in
the delivery of accurate time. e.g. This morning my lounge clock was
precisely1 hour ahead of correct time, and a few weeks ago only the seconds
figure was running correctly. A relative in the Huntingdon area has also
reported problems. (And we're not living in electrically screened
buildings - just normal bricks and mortar houses)

Just wondering how others are getting on? (Direct me if there's a better
newsgroup for this ...)

Yeah - I've had a number of occasions when the clock in the living room
displays a completely wrong time, or suddenly goes through its
acquisition sequence.

There was a thread about this several months ago in UKRM

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , writes
On 16 Sep,
tony sayer wrote:

As an NPL time user there have been quite a few complaints from people
in built up areas of the south, whereas people north of the border
report better reception..

Which is hardly surprising!..

http://www.npl.co.uk/time/msf/

I get excellent results using the German transmission,

Yup, I have one which is tuned to the german signal - no problems

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Malcolm Stewart wrote:

For quite a few years I've had reliable time around my home based on
domestic clocks using the Rugby 60kHz MSF transmitter.

IN one of my jobs we used to use the Rugby clock, TBH it was almost
completely bloody useless and we changed to a much better way of
checking the time (NTP) since when there have been no problems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 12:26:42 +0100, "Malcolm Stewart"
wrote:

For quite a few years I've had reliable time around my home based on
domestic clocks using the Rugby 60kHz MSF transmitter. Last April the MSF
transmitter was moved to Cumbria

Oh whoopy-do. That explains that then. ((

Cheers.

I suppose they could have put it in the Hebrides or somewhere even
more convenient.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Malcolm Stewart wrote:
For quite a few years I've had reliable time around my home based on
domestic clocks using the Rugby 60kHz MSF transmitter. Last April the MSF
transmitter was moved to Cumbria, and since then I've noticed glitches in
the delivery of accurate time. e.g. This morning my lounge clock was
precisely1 hour ahead of correct time, and a few weeks ago only the seconds
figure was running correctly. A relative in the Huntingdon area has also
reported problems. (And we're not living in electrically screened
buildings - just normal bricks and mortar houses)

Just wondering how others are getting on? (Direct me if there's a better
newsgroup for this ...)

I just use NTP instead. Easier.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 16, 2:12 pm, geoff wrote:
In message , writes

On 16 Sep,
tony sayer wrote:

As an NPL time user there have been quite a few complaints from people
in built up areas of the south, whereas people north of the border
report better reception..

Which is hardly surprising!..

http://www.npl.co.uk/time/msf/

I get excellent results using the German transmission,

Yup, I have one which is tuned to the german signal - no problems

Mine uses the German transmission and once in a while it reads
incorrecrtly by exactly an hour.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
RobertL scribeth thus
On Sep 16, 2:12 pm, geoff wrote:
In message , writes

On 16 Sep,
tony sayer wrote:

As an NPL time user there have been quite a few complaints from people
in built up areas of the south, whereas people north of the border
report better reception..

Which is hardly surprising!..

http://www.npl.co.uk/time/msf/

I get excellent results using the German transmission,

Yup, I have one which is tuned to the german signal - no problems

Mine uses the German transmission and once in a while it reads
incorrecrtly by exactly an hour.

Robert

Which I suppose it would be CET -v- GMT and BST and all that!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Malcolm Stewart wrote:
For quite a few years I've had reliable time around my home based on
domestic clocks using the Rugby 60kHz MSF transmitter. Last April the MSF
transmitter was moved to Cumbria, and since then I've noticed glitches in
the delivery of accurate time. e.g. This morning my lounge clock was
precisely1 hour ahead of correct time, and a few weeks ago only the seconds
figure was running correctly. A relative in the Huntingdon area has also
reported problems. (And we're not living in electrically screened
buildings - just normal bricks and mortar houses)

Just wondering how others are getting on? (Direct me if there's a better
newsgroup for this ...)

My watch doesn't have any trouble picking up MSF in Bristol - supposedly
it's fussy about which way up you put it but it doesn't seem to mind if
I put it the "wrong" way up. Radio controlled clocks in work are often
wrong through - slow seems to make sense (battery on the way out, can't
catch up) but as often as not they're up to a couple of minutes fast, so
I assume aren't getting a decent signal, but they can set themselves
when you put in a new battery.

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

Malcolm Stewart wrote:
For quite a few years I've had reliable time around my home based on
domestic clocks using the Rugby 60kHz MSF transmitter. Last April the MSF
transmitter was moved to Cumbria, and since then I've noticed glitches in
the delivery of accurate time. e.g. This morning my lounge clock was
precisely1 hour ahead of correct time, and a few weeks ago only the seconds
figure was running correctly. A relative in the Huntingdon area has also
reported problems. (And we're not living in electrically screened
buildings - just normal bricks and mortar houses)

Just wondering how others are getting on? (Direct me if there's a better
newsgroup for this ...)

I have two radio clocks. The digital one seems to be better since the
change despite being in London it doesn't loose the signal (though I
have just noticed it has lost the signal today for the first time in
many months. On the other hand the analogue clock always seems to reset
itself around 01:10 each night. Cheap enough from TLC that as the
Chinese manufacturer doesn't seem to understand the difference between
centigrade and Fahrenheit scaling very well, I supposed the erratic time
signal synchronisation was another misfeature.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/P..._3/CKAP002.JPG

--
djc