Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B*****y plumbers

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:08:17 UTC, "tim....."
wrote:

There's already a 'small job' man in my area (which
happens to be near you, but not near enough to compete)
who advertises in a free mag that comes through my door.

What area is that?

http://www.canterbury.gov.uk/assets/...rictlife28.pdf

go to page 2/3

I get that...have always thrown it away unopened....!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

what's wrong with being a numpty odd job man?

Nothing if thats what you want to be - I don't. I want to earn a good
living not just beer money.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
tim..... wrote:

what's wrong with being a numpty odd job man?

Nothing if thats what you want to be - I don't. I want to earn a good
living not just beer money.

I'd need the beer money, but I need to be sure that there's
enough beer money available :-).

It's academic now. I've just been offered a job back in a
country whos employers aren't ageist. I don't really want
to go, but it's that or unemployment (or being an odd job
man!)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

what's wrong with being a numpty odd job man?

Nothing if thats what you want to be - I don't. I want to earn a
good living not just beer money.

I'd need the beer money, but I need to be sure that there's
enough beer money available :-).

It's academic now. I've just been offered a job back in a
country whos employers aren't ageist. I don't really want
to go, but it's that or unemployment (or being an odd job
man!)

The choice I faced was (a) finding another job at 50+, (b) finding a job
that would pay as well, (c) finding a job that would last.

As an 'odd job man' I could earn beer money. As a 'professional handyman' I
can earn £35K ish a year and am booked solid for a month ahead. Thats why I
didn't want to be an odd job oik.

I keep feeling the urge to either franchise the idea or write the ultimate
guide.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

As an 'odd job man' I could earn beer money. As a 'professional handyman' I
can earn £35K ish a year and am booked solid for a month ahead. Thats why I
didn't want to be an odd job oik.

I keep feeling the urge to either franchise the idea or write the ultimate
guide.

That is not such a bad idea. Social trends (cash rich, time poor, little
practical education) are pushing ever more customers into a situation of
need. IIRC Colonel Sounders and Ray Crock were both in their late 50's
early sixties before they started developing their franchise businesses.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway Handyman
scribeth thus
tim..... wrote:

[...]

A mate of mine took early retirement from a government "organisation"
before they sent him round the bend!, and I've never known him happier
and fitter

He's working as a landscape gardener and repairs, not short of work and
turning it away, and seems to charge what he likes at the age of 58 !...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

what's wrong with being a numpty odd job man?

Nothing if thats what you want to be - I don't. I want to earn a
good living not just beer money.

I'd need the beer money, but I need to be sure that there's
enough beer money available :-).

It's academic now. I've just been offered a job back in a
country whos employers aren't ageist. I don't really want
to go, but it's that or unemployment (or being an odd job
man!)

The choice I faced was (a) finding another job at 50+, (b) finding a job
that would pay as well, (c) finding a job that would last.

As an 'odd job man' I could earn beer money. As a 'professional handyman'
I can earn £35K ish a year and am booked solid for a month ahead. Thats
why I didn't want to be an odd job oik.

I can understand that, but I can't quite see what you
are differentiating on.

is it:
number of hours worked.
types of jobs undertaken
or something to do with this 'professional' word that are using?

and is there some relationship between the first two?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

[...]

Odd job man;
No corporate identity, no web site, arrives in a scruffy 10 year old ex
Telecom van, no signwriting, wears old jogging bottoms & tatty tee shirt
covered in stains. has inadequate tools, doesn't turn up on time, doesn't
communicate with customer, no up front tariff of charges, has your details
written on back of envelope, bodges job, doesn't clear up afterwards, not
insured. Charges very low rates.

Professional Handyman;
Van, website, overalls, cards etc all bear corporate logo, web site with all
details & prices. arrives in smart clean newish van fully signwritten, wears
smart overalls & polo shirt with embroidered corporate logo, has full range
of necessary tools, turns up on time or calls customer, has clear tariff of
charges, uses detailed job sheet, does job properly, clears up afterwards,
fully insured. Charges a fair but not cheap price.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

[...]

well I think that it's a bit unfair criticising people for not
being internet savvy, but I see what you mean now.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim.....
writes

tim..... wrote:

[...]

Don't forget ...

He's an illusionist by night

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , tim.....
writes

tim..... wrote:

[...]

Which has taught me that presentation is everything.............

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
geoff wrote:
In message , tim.....
writes

tim..... wrote:

[...]

Exactly what I meant

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-25, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

[...]

*applause*

Whilst I don't doubt Dave's sincerity, I personally don't see the
connection between "corporate Identity, tidy appearance,
logo on van etc with charging a fair price and not bodging the
job.

I suggest that you look no further than a certain national
plumbing company that regularly appears on House of Horrors
type programs if you think that they do.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

Whilst I don't doubt Dave's sincerity, I personally don't see the
connection between "corporate Identity, tidy appearance,
logo on van etc with charging a fair price and not bodging the
job.

There isn't a connection between any of these attributes as such, in the
sense that you can look the part and still produce crap results.

However, if you wish to be accepted as a professional handyman, doing
all of them would be a basic set of pre-requisites.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-25 21:47:22 +0100, geoff said:

In message , tim.....
writes

well I think that it's a bit unfair criticising people for not
being internet savvy, but I see what you mean now.

Don't forget ...

He's an illusionist by night

Aren't we all?

Actually I'm not an illusionist at all. Close up & mentalism are the only
two branches of magic I'm into.

"A lot of people think this is an optical illusion - but it only looks like
one".

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

[...]

100 years ago we criticised people who couldn't read & write.............

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

John Rumm wrote:
There isn't a connection between any of these attributes as such, in the
sense that you can look the part and still produce crap results.

However, if you wish to be accepted as a professional handyman, doing
all of them would be a basic set of pre-requisites.

Yes, looks right dosn't always mean it is right; on the other hand what
is right probably does look right.

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

100 years ago we criticised people who couldn't read & write.............

Now with modern schooling, there is no longer the stigma attached to it! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-25, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Odd job man;
[...]

I'd say ovation.

That is the essence of all properly conducted business. Proper job,
proper attention to detail, proper service and above all not selling on
price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 26, 7:54 pm, Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
tim..... wrote:
well I think that it's a bit unfair criticising people for not
being internet savvy,

100 years ago we criticised people who couldn't read & write.............

... now we give them a BA in Meedia Studies...

Spelling error! It is of course 'Meeja Studies'.

I find that 'Multimedia Design and Technology' is even worse. Which is
why I, a regular, am using another name for this post...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-25, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
[...]

That would be my raison detre mon amie.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I find that 'Multimedia Design and Technology' is even worse. Which is
why I, a regular, am using another name for this post...

Ah, ok Bob....

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

wierd one for the plumbers homer UK diy 45 November 11th 05 08:12 PM
plumbers invoice Fred UK diy 19 October 28th 05 11:31 PM
Plumbers in Didcot? T i m UK diy 13 July 21st 05 08:32 AM
One for the plumbers? Harry Bloomfield UK diy 14 February 20th 05 08:30 PM
Plumbers and the very end of my tether..... mark UK diy 25 October 3rd 04 12:25 AM