Posted to uk.d-i-y
tom tom is offline

Default sourcing bullnose mouldings to use as stair nosings...

Hi there,

I made a new staircase for my house last year, using mdf window board
for the treads, which has a bullnose moulding on the nosing. However,
the kite treads on the turn I cut from a piece of mdf; I assumed I
would be able to source a moulding to tap on the front to form a
nosing. However, in advance of laying carpet (at last!), I have gone
looking for 22mm bullnose mouldings and I'm not having much luck!

I do not have a router, so cannot make my own, but if I cannot buy a
moulding off the shelf I may need to buy one and learn how to make my
own!

If anyone can give me a steer, would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tom" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there,

I made a new staircase for my house last year, using mdf window board
for the treads, which has a bullnose moulding on the nosing. However,
the kite treads on the turn I cut from a piece of mdf; I assumed I
would be able to source a moulding to tap on the front to form a
nosing. However, in advance of laying carpet (at last!), I have gone
looking for 22mm bullnose mouldings and I'm not having much luck!

I do not have a router, so cannot make my own, but if I cannot buy a
moulding off the shelf I may need to buy one and learn how to make my
own!

If anyone can give me a steer, would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Tom

Cheaper to buy a router and pic your own style of bullnose and if done in
MDF will be a doddle as MDF is sweet to cut with a router.

Plenty of bullnose sellers on google but your local timber yard will cut
exactly what you want at their prices?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
tom writes:
Hi there,

I made a new staircase for my house last year, using mdf window board
for the treads, which has a bullnose moulding on the nosing. However,
the kite treads on the turn I cut from a piece of mdf; I assumed I
would be able to source a moulding to tap on the front to form a
nosing. However, in advance of laying carpet (at last!), I have gone
looking for 22mm bullnose mouldings and I'm not having much luck!

I wouldn't fancy the chances of a nosing just tapped on the
front lasting long -- that part of a step takes large forces.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
tom tom is offline

I wouldn't fancy the chances of a nosing just tapped on the
front lasting long -- that part of a step takes large forces.

Thanks both - Andrew - point taken - not much option, intend to screw
and glue. It was the first staircase I have built so bit of a learning
exercise - I cut the kite treads out of one piece of mdf - in future
would cut kite treads and (learn to) rout a profile on nosing...next
time!

Cheers, Tom