Posted to uk.d-i-y
CS CS is offline

Default Cutting circular holes in wall tiles

About to commence tiling in bathroom and need to cut approx 1 inch
diameter holes though normal wall tiles for shower connections to
protrude though. Not aware of tile cutting hole cutters and wonder if
normal hole cutters will do if well lubricated/cooled with water.

Any tips/ideas??

TVMIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 31/08/2007 09:24 CS wrote:

Not aware of tile cutting hole cutters and wonder if
normal hole cutters will do if well lubricated/cooled with water.

I got a cheap set from Aldi last year that was advertised for use on
bricks etc. Worked fine on tiles (and bricks and blocks) and was cheap
enough to throw away if it only lasted the one job.

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kev Kev is offline

On Aug 31, 10:16 am, F wrote:
On 31/08/2007 09:24 CS wrote:

Not aware of tile cutting hole cutters and wonder if
normal hole cutters will do if well lubricated/cooled with water.

I got a cheap set from Aldi last year that was advertised for use on
bricks etc. Worked fine on tiles (and bricks and blocks) and was cheap
enough to throw away if it only lasted the one job.

--
Frank

I bought a tile cutting hole saw and it worked very well.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Aug, 10:16, F wrote:
On 31/08/2007 09:24 CS wrote:

Not aware of tile cutting hole cutters and wonder if
normal hole cutters will do if well lubricated/cooled with water.

I got a cheap set from Aldi last year that was advertised for use on
bricks etc. Worked fine on tiles (and bricks and blocks) and was cheap
enough to throw away if it only lasted the one job.

--
Frank

Aldis have these available at the moment.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-31 09:24:49 +0100, CS said:

About to commence tiling in bathroom and need to cut approx 1 inch
diameter holes though normal wall tiles for shower connections to
protrude though. Not aware of tile cutting hole cutters and wonder if
normal hole cutters will do if well lubricated/cooled with water.

Any tips/ideas??

TVMIA

If you look back through recent archives of this group you will see a
reference to 365drills.net.

I've used their drills in small sizes and a 55mm one for a faucet. It
worked well on limestone. In some cases I drilled the tiles in a
water bath before fitting them. In others I drilled in situ and had
an assistant spray water on the cutter with a plant sprayer.

The system works well as advertised.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 31, 9:24 am, CS wrote:
About to commence tiling in bathroom and need to cut approx 1 inch
diameter holes though normal wall tiles for shower connections to
protrude though. Not aware of tile cutting hole cutters and wonder if
normal hole cutters will do if well lubricated/cooled with water.

Any tips/ideas??

Wait until the tile adhesive has gone off completely and then chain
drill carefully around the circle with a small masonry bit in a hammer
or SDS drill. The holes can be joined up and the central bit removed
with an old chisel. Try and do this before the adhesive is hard and
you'll crack the tile.

It worked for me but the shower fitting came with decorative collars
that were larger than the holes so i could afford to be a little
messy.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
CS CS is offline

Thanks to all - found a circular cutter on Screwfix. Guess should
have thought of that first - but I'll look at Aldi.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
On 31/08/2007 09:24 CS wrote:

Not aware of tile cutting hole cutters and wonder if
normal hole cutters will do if well lubricated/cooled with water.

I got a cheap set from Aldi last year that was advertised for use on
bricks etc. Worked fine on tiles (and bricks and blocks) and was cheap
enough to throw away if it only lasted the one job.

I'm waiting for that deal to come back - missed it last time. They were
£7:99 IIRC. Were they OK? (occassional use).

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
On 31 Aug, 10:16, F wrote:
On 31/08/2007 09:24 CS wrote:

Not aware of tile cutting hole cutters and wonder if
normal hole cutters will do if well lubricated/cooled with water.

I got a cheap set from Aldi last year that was advertised for use on
bricks etc. Worked fine on tiles (and bricks and blocks) and was
cheap enough to throw away if it only lasted the one job.

--
Frank

Aldis have these available at the moment.

My local one don't not.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 31/08/2007 20:21 The Medway Handyman wrote:

I'm waiting for that deal to come back - missed it last time. They were
£7:99 IIRC. Were they OK? (occassional use).

Worked for me. Four(?) different diameters with a grit type coating to
the end of each. Went through tiles without any fuss but took a little
longer through brick. Got there in the end and cost a lot less than
others I'd seen. As I said previously, good value even if I had to throw
them away after the one job (which I won't, I'll just lean on them a
little more heavily once they slow down!).

--
Frank

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 19:21:43 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

I got a cheap set from Aldi last year that was advertised for use on
bricks etc. Worked fine on tiles (and bricks and blocks) and was cheap
enough to throw away if it only lasted the one job.

I'm waiting for that deal to come back - missed it last time. They were
£7:99 IIRC. Were they OK? (occassional use).

They were not just ok, they were brilliant. I tiled our largish
bathroom and used the cutters not only for pipes but to drill out
holes for insetting small feature tiles into the main tile. Still got
all the cutters and they are still like new.

Certainly ok for DIY and occasional, probably not so for pro use but
an absolute bargain at the price.