Steve Manes

Default Cutting masonry with a circular saw

Is there anything I should know about circular saws and masonry blades
before I attempt a finish cut on a 2" limestone cap on my front deck?
Will this damage the saw or the limestone? I've seen masons do this
with big, honkin' internal combustion saws and large blades so I don't
know if my Milwaukee will have the juice for it. Or if the dust may
damage it.

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house
Joseph Meehan

Steve Manes wrote:
Is there anything I should know about circular saws and masonry blades
before I attempt a finish cut on a 2" limestone cap on my front deck?
Will this damage the saw or the limestone? I've seen masons do this
with big, honkin' internal combustion saws and large blades so I don't
know if my Milwaukee will have the juice for it. Or if the dust may
damage it.

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house

In my limited experience the cutting is slow going and the dust is
nasty. I would not use a good saw and I would - did wear full face and dust
protection. The saw I used was an old Sears I bought as is about 35 years
ago for $3.50. Nothing will kill that thing.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

I've seen masons do this with big, honkin' internal combustion saws and large
blades so I don't know if my Milwaukee will have the juice for it. Or if the dust may
damage it.

Skilsaw, $40 retail, use a $2 masonry blade from HD.

Sacramento Dave

"Steve Manes" wrote in message
Is there anything I should know about circular saws and masonry blades
before I attempt a finish cut on a 2" limestone cap on my front deck?
Will this damage the saw or the limestone? I've seen masons do this
with big, honkin' internal combustion saws and large blades so I don't
know if my Milwaukee will have the juice for it. Or if the dust may
damage it.

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house

You can get a dry Diamond blade for your saw, There was a water feed made
for a circular saw at one time. If they still make one that would increase
the blade life and cud down the dust. When they did our granite the used a
dry diamond blade (6"to 8") in a grinder, I have used a 4" grinder ( some
times called a peanut grinder) with a diamond blade to cut tile and stucco.
If you use a regular abrasive blade I can't imagine how long it would take
or the dust but I've never cut Flagstone.

Fred

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message

[...]

They still have the water kit and roller attachment at Amazon.com and other
sites. I've used abrasive blades before, slow and ware out faster than you
could change it - diamond is the only way to go.

SteveB

"Steve Manes" wrote in message
Is there anything I should know about circular saws and masonry blades
before I attempt a finish cut on a 2" limestone cap on my front deck?
Will this damage the saw or the limestone? I've seen masons do this
with big, honkin' internal combustion saws and large blades so I don't
know if my Milwaukee will have the juice for it. Or if the dust may
damage it.

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house

A vacuum will catch most of the dust as it is produced. Don't try to go too
fast or push the saw, or you will heat up the blade and motor. Nice and
easy and straight.

Steve

Ranieri

"Steve Manes" wrote in message
Is there anything I should know about circular saws and masonry blades
before I attempt a finish cut on a 2" limestone cap on my front deck?
Will this damage the saw or the limestone? I've seen masons do this
with big, honkin' internal combustion saws and large blades so I don't
know if my Milwaukee will have the juice for it. Or if the dust may
damage it.

If you have more than a couple cuts to make, rent a gas powered concrete saw
with a diamond blade. It's a little cumbersome, and kicks up an ungodly
amount of dust - but it's definitely the correct tool for the job.

dadiOH

Steve Manes wrote:
Is there anything I should know about circular saws and masonry blades
before I attempt a finish cut on a 2" limestone cap on my front deck?
Will this damage the saw or the limestone? I've seen masons do this
with big, honkin' internal combustion saws and large blades so I don't
know if my Milwaukee will have the juice for it.

Limestone is quite soft, a resin masonry blade and your saw will work
just fine. Just go slow and easy, don't force. Forget a diamond
blade...they make dust too and it would be silly to buy one for one cut.
IMO, YMMV.

Or if the dust may
damage it.

Possible but I use my circular saw with a masonry blade occasionally to
cut concrete caps - about the same as your limestone would be as far as
hardness and abrasiveness - and haven't damaged my saw. Clean it well
after, blow out dust from the inside too.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Ulysses

"Steve Manes" wrote in message
Is there anything I should know about circular saws and masonry blades
before I attempt a finish cut on a 2" limestone cap on my front deck?
Will this damage the saw or the limestone? I've seen masons do this
with big, honkin' internal combustion saws and large blades so I don't
know if my Milwaukee will have the juice for it. Or if the dust may
damage it.

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house

Do you have a gas-powered lawn edger? I put a masonry blade on one and used
it to cut concrete. It worked great and got the dust etc further away from
me. The adjustable depth control was a plus (normally used to adjust along
the sidewalk, curb etc.). It's been a while but I'm pretty sure I was able
to keep the surface wet while I was cutting.

Tim Fischer

I just installed a small patio/landing for our deck steps and had to cut
some pavers in half. I used an abrasive blade on my saw, and had my wife
standing next to me with the garden hose nozzle set on "trickle" wetting
down the cut as I did it. This kept the dust down to a minimum and seemed
to help keep the blade running smoothly.

Of course you don't want to get the electrical part of the saw wet -- just
the blade area.

-Tim