Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blocking up doorway

Hi there,

I'm trying to block up an old doorway and plaster over it.

Rather than remove the door itself and fit a stud partition and
plasterboard - could I just screw the door in place, seal the surface
and skim plaster over it?

Would a genorous coat of PVA over the paint finish of the door be a
suficient key for the plaster and would I need to tape over the are
where the door frame meets the existing wall to prevent the plaster
from cracking?

TIA!

Simon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 07:11:22 -0700, Simon mused:

Hi there,

I'm trying to block up an old doorway and plaster over it.

Rather than remove the door itself and fit a stud partition and
plasterboard - could I just screw the door in place, seal the surface
and skim plaster over it?

Wind up?

Would a genorous coat of PVA over the paint finish of the door be a
suficient key for the plaster and would I need to tape over the are
where the door frame meets the existing wall to prevent the plaster
from cracking?

/speechless
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 27, 3:11 pm, Simon wrote:
Hi there,

I'm trying to block up an old doorway and plaster over it.

Rather than remove the door itself and fit a stud partition and
plasterboard - could I just screw the door in place, seal the surface
and skim plaster over it?

Would a genorous coat of PVA over the paint finish of the door be a
suficient key for the plaster and would I need to tape over the are
where the door frame meets the existing wall to prevent the plaster
from cracking?

TIA!

Simon

This is a waste of effort.

If you remove the architrave and door handle, and then paper over the
entirety with wallpaper, the paper will tighten up as it dries,
leaving a flat surface.
You should use a heavy duty lining paper, so that the result is strong
enough to resist the occasional ding. However, it's probably best to
position furniture over the area to reduce the risk of damage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"hulk hogan" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 27, 3:11 pm, Simon wrote:
Hi there,

I'm trying to block up an old doorway and plaster over it.

Rather than remove the door itself and fit a stud partition and
plasterboard - could I just screw the door in place, seal the surface
and skim plaster over it?

Would a genorous coat of PVA over the paint finish of the door be a
suficient key for the plaster and would I need to tape over the are
where the door frame meets the existing wall to prevent the plaster
from cracking?

TIA!

Simon

This is a waste of effort.

If you remove the architrave and door handle, and then paper over the
entirety with wallpaper, the paper will tighten up as it dries,
leaving a flat surface.

Ummm, what about the hinges?

You should use a heavy duty lining paper, so that the result is strong
enough to resist the occasional ding. However, it's probably best to
position furniture over the area to reduce the risk of damage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Heliotrope Smith" wrote in message

"hulk hogan" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 27, 3:11 pm, Simon wrote:
Hi there,

I'm trying to block up an old doorway and plaster over it.

Rather than remove the door itself and fit a stud partition and
plasterboard - could I just screw the door in place, seal the surface
and skim plaster over it?

Would a genorous coat of PVA over the paint finish of the door be a
suficient key for the plaster and would I need to tape over the are
where the door frame meets the existing wall to prevent the plaster
from cracking?

TIA!

Simon

This is a waste of effort.

If you remove the architrave and door handle, and then paper over the
entirety with wallpaper, the paper will tighten up as it dries,
leaving a flat surface.

Ummm, what about the hinges?

Hang a picture over the top hinge and put a setee in front of the bottom one
:-)

Adam

Blocking up a double door sized doorway LongYP UK diy 5 December 16th 06 06:07 PM
blocking off an airbrick ben doon UK diy 3 March 2nd 06 08:28 AM
Blocking up a doorway/new wall (Buildings Regs/Planning Perm required?) Andy Jeffries UK diy 7 December 8th 05 08:12 PM
Blocking trolls Guess who Woodworking 0 January 14th 05 08:40 PM
Blocking up an extractor fan Charles Middleton UK diy 1 August 14th 04 12:28 AM