Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blocking up a double door sized doorway

I have a room (10'X10') off my lounge which I have started to use as an
office. Between the room and the lounge there is a double door sized doorway
connecting the 2 rooms with bi-folding louvre doors.

I need to block the door way to effectively sound proof the office from the
lounge.

I have considered getting in a bricky but before I do this (this also seems
very final) I am trying to think up ways and I can do some basic DIY to
block the doorway.

Consider I am very much a basci DIY'er - I am thinking of building a wooden
frame, mounted in the door way, insulate with loft insulation material then
pin large wood boards(??!!) or plaster board(??!!) or something over the
top??

Anyone got some suggestions????

many thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

LongYP wrote:
I have a room (10'X10') off my lounge which I have started to use as
an office. Between the room and the lounge there is a double door
sized doorway connecting the 2 rooms with bi-folding louvre doors.

I need to block the door way to effectively sound proof the office
from the lounge.

I have considered getting in a bricky but before I do this (this also
seems very final) I am trying to think up ways and I can do some
basic DIY to block the doorway.

Consider I am very much a basci DIY'er - I am thinking of building a
wooden frame, mounted in the door way, insulate with loft insulation
material then pin large wood boards(??!!) or plaster board(??!!) or
something over the top??

Anyone got some suggestions????

many thanks

You've already answered your own question, timber, fibreglass and
p-board...just make sure the timber + two thicknesses of p-board are the
same as the existing wall, screw the pb on for rigidity rather than nails,
cavity batts are probably easier for working with than loft insulation and
more dense too.

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Assuming, if using plaster board, the only option is to plaster over to
finish off - would there be an issue with shrinkage and cracks appearing
where the plaster board in the doorway finishes and the wall (brick) starts?

"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
LongYP wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

LongYP wrote:
Assuming, if using plaster board, the only option is to plaster over
to finish off - would there be an issue with shrinkage and cracks
appearing where the plaster board in the doorway finishes and the
wall (brick) starts?

Yes but you can minimise this by using scrim at the edges

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"LongYP" wrote:
Consider I am very much a basci DIY'er - I am thinking of building a
wooden frame, mounted in the door way, insulate with loft insulation
material then pin large wood boards(??!!) or plaster board(??!!) or
something over the top??

http://www.diydata.com/projects/partition/partitionframe.htm
http://www.soundstop.co.uk/solutions/wall_solutions/wall_solution_4.php
http://www.soundstop.co.uk/solutions/wall_solutions/stud_wall_soundproofing.php

Posted to uk.d-i-y

LongYP wrote:

I have a room (10'X10') off my lounge which I have started to use as
an office. Between the room and the lounge there is a double door
sized doorway connecting the 2 rooms with bi-folding louvre doors.

I need to block the door way to effectively sound proof the office
from the lounge.

I have considered getting in a bricky but before I do this (this also
seems very final) I am trying to think up ways and I can do some
basic DIY to block the doorway.

Consider I am very much a basci DIY'er - I am thinking of building a
wooden frame, mounted in the door way, insulate with loft insulation
material then pin large wood boards(??!!) or plaster board(??!!) or
something over the top??

Anyone got some suggestions????

many thanks

As others have said, inserting some studding and covering it with
plasterboard is fairly easy.

Another alternative is simply to throw up some blockwork, and then get a
plasterer to plaster it. That will probably make a better job of
sound-proofing, and you're less likely to get cracks in the plaster where
the new bit joins to the existing brickwork.

If you - or a subsequent ower - want to restore the doorway, demolishing the
blockwork is not really any more difficult than demolishing a stud
partition.

I assume that there's a lintel over the doorway - so you won't have to worry
about your solution needing to support whatever is above it?
--
Cheers,
Roger

double door problem Mekon Woodworking 4 August 10th 06 06:24 AM
Blocking up a doorway/new wall (Buildings Regs/Planning Perm required?) Andy Jeffries UK diy 7 December 8th 05 08:12 PM
Where can I get a large sealed plastic box with a door. Sized as a small garden shed. Peter UK diy 8 October 25th 05 08:45 PM
Adding Door to Doorway [email protected] Home Repair 10 February 17th 05 10:45 PM
Double glazed door Bloss UK diy 1 January 11th 05 09:32 PM