Posted to uk.d-i-y
ben doon

Default blocking off an airbrick

There's a cold draught coming into the kitchen from
behind the washing maschine. Looking on the
outside wall there's an airbrick. I know it's there
fro a reason, but what are the consequences of
blocking it off for now until the warmer weather?
TIA,

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"ben doon" writes:
There's a cold draught coming into the kitchen from
behind the washing maschine. Looking on the
outside wall there's an airbrick. I know it's there
fro a reason, but what are the consequences of
blocking it off for now until the warmer weather?

It might kill you, depending on the reason it's there,
which you didn't say. For starters, exactly what gas
appliances have you got in the house, and how near to
that vent are they?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "ben doon" contains these words:

There's a cold draught coming into the kitchen from
behind the washing maschine. Looking on the
outside wall there's an airbrick. I know it's there
fro a reason, but what are the consequences of
blocking it off for now until the warmer weather?

Where does the air for your boiler come from? If, like many people
you've had your boiler replaced with a balanced flue type then the worst
that'll happen is you'll risk a bit of damp. Modern houses aren't very
well ventilated.

What I did to ours was fit the airbrick with a flap both sides slightly
sprung out from the surface - plenty of air gets through but when the
wind gusts the flap slaps shut and the draught stops.

Many of the other houses round here have just filled them in or taped
over them and thus far no one's died of CO poisoning.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.