Posted to uk.d-i-y
Heliotrope Smith Heliotrope Smith is offline

Default Blocking up doorway

"hulk hogan" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 27, 3:11 pm, Simon wrote:
Hi there,

I'm trying to block up an old doorway and plaster over it.

Rather than remove the door itself and fit a stud partition and
plasterboard - could I just screw the door in place, seal the surface
and skim plaster over it?

Would a genorous coat of PVA over the paint finish of the door be a
suficient key for the plaster and would I need to tape over the are
where the door frame meets the existing wall to prevent the plaster
from cracking?

TIA!

Simon

This is a waste of effort.

If you remove the architrave and door handle, and then paper over the
entirety with wallpaper, the paper will tighten up as it dries,
leaving a flat surface.

Ummm, what about the hinges?

You should use a heavy duty lining paper, so that the result is strong
enough to resist the occasional ding. However, it's probably best to
position furniture over the area to reduce the risk of damage.