Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Calling all toilet experts (!)

So the downstairs toilet needs replacing and I thought I'd take it out
and tile the floor before fitting the new one. The outlet of the
toilet disappears vertically into a cementy-looking collar in the
solid floor. The plan was to break the pan out, seal temporarily, and
do the floor. The room is right at the front of the house, which is a
1960's jobbie.

The pan itself was bedded into mortar, from which a few judicious
probings with a small cold chisel have dislodged it. Although I was
as gentle as possible, the collar in the floor moves when I move the
pan (I've only moved it a tiny bit so far, so as not to make matters
any worse). In my, admittedly limited, experience of these issues,
this seems like a 'bad thing' as I would expect the socket to be
solidly attached to the soil system.
So, my questions a
1 Am I being over-pessimistic here?
2 Assuming I'm not, what is my best way forward? It seems that
digging up the whole soil system would be a big job. Is there a way
of sleeving inside the soil pipe to ensure a good seal, for example?

Of course, a part of me wants to just seal the whole thing back down
under ceramic tiles and hope for the best, but I know these things can
come back and bite you on the rear...

Any suggestions, sensible or otherwise, would be very welcome.
Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
So the downstairs toilet needs replacing and I thought I'd take it out
and tile the floor before fitting the new one. The outlet of the
toilet disappears vertically into a cementy-looking collar in the
solid floor. The plan was to break the pan out, seal temporarily, and
do the floor. The room is right at the front of the house, which is a
1960's jobbie.
The pan itself was bedded into mortar, from which a few judicious
probings with a small cold chisel have dislodged it. Although I was
as gentle as possible, the collar in the floor moves when I move the
pan (I've only moved it a tiny bit so far, so as not to make matters
any worse). In my, admittedly limited, experience of these issues,
this seems like a 'bad thing' as I would expect the socket to be
solidly attached to the soil system.

I think you need to dig out enough to see where the break is. If it's
only the collar that is loose, you can remove it and go straight into
the pipe with a flanged rubbery adapter thing.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember GMM saying
something like:

The pan itself was bedded into mortar, from which a few judicious
probings with a small cold chisel have dislodged it. Although I was
as gentle as possible, the collar in the floor moves when I move the
pan (I've only moved it a tiny bit so far, so as not to make matters
any worse). In my, admittedly limited, experience of these issues,
this seems like a 'bad thing' as I would expect the socket to be
solidly attached to the soil system.

When you lift the pan out, you'll probably find the cementy collar is
just that - a cement sealing collar sitting on top of a glazed soil pipe
shoulder. Easy to clean it up and re-make the joint with the new pan.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

When you lift the pan out, you'll probably find the cementy collar is
just that - a cement sealing collar sitting on top of a glazed soil pipe
shoulder. Easy to clean it up and re-make the joint with the new pan.
--

Dave

Thanks Dave....I'll lift the whole out lot with confidence tonight in
the hope you're right!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
So the downstairs toilet needs replacing and I thought I'd take it out
Is there a way of sleeving inside the soil pipe to ensure a good seal, for example?

I used an adaptor which is finned on the outside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 07:44:35 -0700 someone who may be GMM
wrote this:-

When you lift the pan out, you'll probably find the cementy collar is
just that - a cement sealing collar sitting on top of a glazed soil pipe
shoulder. Easy to clean it up and re-make the joint with the new pan.

Thanks Dave....I'll lift the whole out lot with confidence tonight in
the hope you're right!

Remember to put rolled up newspaper into the pipe as soon as
possible, to catch any bits that fall in. Remove any bits that have
fallen in using the best tool of all, your hand.

Get one of the modern connectors with a finned rubber seal. This
will probably fit into the pipe and that is that other than cosmetic
finishes.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"OldBill" wrote in message
GMM wrote:
So the downstairs toilet needs replacing and I thought I'd take it out
Is there a way of sleeving inside the soil pipe to ensure a good seal,
for example?

I used an adaptor which is finned on the outside.

.... and use washing up liquid on it to lubricate it as you put it in.

Calling all plasterers! Simon UK diy 13 April 10th 07 01:30 PM
Any American Standard Luxor toilet experts? Northe Home Repair 0 March 14th 07 03:21 PM
calling a plumber SeaKan Home Repair 10 March 20th 06 04:01 PM
Calling UK turners Peter Charles Fagg Woodturning 1 May 7th 05 06:36 PM
Calling Wayne Cook..... [email protected] Metalworking 3 January 11th 05 11:34 PM