Posted to alt.home.repair
SeaKan

Default calling a plumber

i've done all i can on this sink/faucet. i've installed the vanity and set
the top. ( I know, before I put in the faucet, but I'm a newbie so I'm
allowed some learning mistakes...) I had a leak out of the pop up assembly,
a leak at the gasket. I also had to use flexible PVC to move over to the P
trap. Wter would back up to the locknut. then had a leak at the PVC pipe
at the wall (which is new). You can do it we can help?! getting a plumber.
I feel so stupid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

drain fittings are absolute junk!

easy solution take it all apart and dry completely

make certain everything will fit together nice dry

replace and damaged washers or parts

buy a tube of silicone bathtub caulk, apply to all fittings as you
assemble them!

Let sit a few hours your leaks will be GONE!

I always do this from the beginning my leaking days are over

Stoile idea from plumber who once came to fix my leaks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kathy

wrote in message
ups.com...
drain fittings are absolute junk!

easy solution take it all apart and dry completely

make certain everything will fit together nice dry

replace and damaged washers or parts

buy a tube of silicone bathtub caulk, apply to all fittings as

you
assemble them!

Let sit a few hours your leaks will be GONE!

I always do this from the beginning my leaking days are over

Stoile idea from plumber who once came to fix my leaks

And don't forget that teflon tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That same plumber said he always uses teflon tape AND pipe dope
together, this way it never leaks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

wrote in message
oups.com...
That same plumber said he always uses teflon tape AND pipe dope
together, this way it never leaks!

The trick is to properly align the pipes. I've never used teflon tape nor
silicone on plastic or metal drain pipes. The gaskets (nylon or rubber) do
work. The problem arises when the pipes don't approach the joint inline
resulting in a gap at the joint. I wouldn't want to hire a plumber who
needed silicon goo and teflon tape on the waste pipe of a sink. Must be fun
for the next person taking it apart.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

teflon tape and pipe dope are not to seal threads....they are merely
lubricants which facilitate tightening and later loosening the joint.

You need pipe dope or teflon tape...but not for their sealing
properties.

Washers, those little plastic compression rings....they are your seals.
If they dont seal then something is wrong.

Even on pipe threads....the pipe dope or tape doesnt seal...it
lubricates the tapered threads so they will tighten up and ground into
one another making the seal.

Use new washers and compression rings.....

If you need to call a plumber dont be ashamed or feel emasculated by
it...he does this for a living.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"SeaKan" wrote in message
i've done all i can on this sink/faucet. i've installed the vanity and
set the top. ( I know, before I put in the faucet, but I'm a newbie so
I'm allowed some learning mistakes...) I had a leak out of the pop up
assembly, a leak at the gasket. I also had to use flexible PVC to move
over to the P trap. Wter would back up to the locknut. then had a leak
at the PVC pipe at the wall (which is new). You can do it we can help?!
getting a plumber. I feel so stupid.

If you put as little effort into the faucet installation as you do into your
typing, I'm not surprised you've got a leak.

Posted to alt.home.repair

the teflon tape pipe dope isnt for drains but just for threaded
fittings, like gas and water pressured lines.

everyone can do as they want but silicone goo serves me very well. a
good friend uses it too, he works on high pressure 2 and 3 thousand psi
lines for work but cant get those junk drain fittings to not leak..so
he silicones them.

I fix office machines for a living, for over 30 years.

sometimes you just do what works, if its faster better or more reliable.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On 19 Mar 2006 19:44:30 -0800, "
wrote:

sometimes you just do what works, if its faster better or more reliable.

You're not referring to Duct Tape are you?

Oren

excused from saving Universes."

Plumber billing hvsteve Home Repair 8 October 21st 05 06:03 AM
Secret password for hiring a plumber? Doug Kanter Home Repair 109 September 5th 05 10:25 PM
Complaining about a plumber Fred UK diy 4 June 23rd 05 10:14 AM
plumber failed to fix drip pgg Home Repair 21 April 12th 05 06:49 PM
Good Plumber or Bad Plumber? Robert Fenster Home Repair 14 June 2nd 04 06:01 AM