Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

Default Freezing pipes

Hi, I'm putting in a new outside tap using 15mm soldered copper pipe.
While unlikely at this time of year, I am a bit worried it may freeze
in colder months if I forget to drain it. Obviously I could lag it,
but would simply putting in a short section of flexible hose, such as
that used for tap connections, help at all? Providing an expansion
zone so the pipe didn't burst...?

Cheers,

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ben" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I'm putting in a new outside tap using 15mm soldered copper pipe.
While unlikely at this time of year, I am a bit worried it may freeze
in colder months if I forget to drain it. Obviously I could lag it,
but would simply putting in a short section of flexible hose, such as
that used for tap connections, help at all? Providing an expansion
zone so the pipe didn't burst...?

Why not simply use above-ground grade HDPE pipe for the outside part?

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

On 13 Aug, 19:37, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname
here.uk.com wrote:
"Ben" wrote in message

ups.com...

Hi, I'm putting in a new outside tap using 15mm soldered copper pipe.
While unlikely at this time of year, I am a bit worried it may freeze
in colder months if I forget to drain it. Obviously I could lag it,
but would simply putting in a short section of flexible hose, such as
that used for tap connections, help at all? Providing an expansion
zone so the pipe didn't burst...?

Why not simply use above-ground grade HDPE pipe for the outside part?

Colin Bignell

Perhaps - plastic pipe runs have a tendency to look a bit ugly and
bulky at the joints though...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ben" wrote in message
oups.com...

Why not simply use above-ground grade HDPE pipe for the outside part?

Colin Bignell

Perhaps - plastic pipe runs have a tendency to look a bit ugly and
bulky at the joints though...

How much time do you spend looking at it?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

On 13 Aug, 21:06, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Ben" wrote in message

oups.com...

Why not simply use above-ground grade HDPE pipe for the outside part?

Colin Bignell

Perhaps - plastic pipe runs have a tendency to look a bit ugly and
bulky at the joints though...

How much time do you spend looking at it?

Mary

Not much - fair point. But it is in a fairly visible space - ton a
balcony - so ugly plastic pipework might be an issue since the run to
the tap is a meter or so. But you're right, its not a massive issue :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

On 13 Aug, 22:05, Owain wrote:
Ben wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote:
Perhaps - plastic pipe runs have a tendency to look a bit ugly and
bulky at the joints though...
How much time do you spend looking at it?

Not much - fair point. But it is in a fairly visible space - ton a
balcony - so ugly plastic pipework might be an issue since the run to
the tap is a meter or so. But you're right, its not a massive issue :-)

Weren't you going to do a proper job and box it in with marine grade
plywood with stainless steel fittings and electric pipe heating tape,
all french polished by hand by an Aberdonian virgin?

Owain

I was, but the virgin didn't turn up :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 22:05:04 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Weren't you going to do a proper job and box it in with marine grade
plywood with stainless steel fittings and electric pipe heating tape,
all french polished by hand by an Aberdonian virgin?

Is there such a thing?

Sorry, I was thinking of Inverness...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:00:46 -0700 someone who may be Ben
wrote this:-

Hi, I'm putting in a new outside tap using 15mm soldered copper pipe.

You missed the most important information. How much of this is going
to be outside? 5cm, 5m? How much inside?

While unlikely at this time of year, I am a bit worried it may freeze
in colder months if I forget to drain it.

You could always put draining it into your other regular plumbing
maintenance, such as operating valves every six months. You do
maintain the plumbing?

If it does freeze the length of pipe outside is critical. A very
short length of pipe outside means the ice can expand inside and
thus it is not likely to burst, not that I would recommend leaving
such a pipe filled.

Obviously I could lag it,

Nobody has yet invented lagging that adds heat to a pipe. All it
does is slow down the rate of heat loss. If lagged pipes are not
used it is likely that they will freeze eventually.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 14, 1:05 pm, David Hansen
wrote:
You do
maintain the plumbing?

What a pompous ass.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

[...]

There used to be a wrap around electrical heat wire available that prevented
freezing. Anyone here remember what it was/is called? "Spira something rings
a bell?"

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 15:49:02 GMT someone who may be "ARWadsworth"
wrote this:-

There used to be a wrap around electrical heat wire available that prevented
freezing. Anyone here remember what it was/is called? "Spira something rings
a bell?"

Trace heating cable should be available from the usual suspects,
though it is generally not something fitted in a domestic setting.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Preventing Freezing Laundry Pipes [email protected] Home Repair 12 February 6th 07 04:44 PM
Best pipes to survive freezing? ITMFA Home Repair 18 January 15th 07 08:03 PM
Freezing pipes ******************************************************* Rettgerinc Metalworking 25 January 4th 05 02:59 AM
freezing pipes... Phants Metalworking 8 January 2nd 05 03:30 AM
Freezing Pipes or Pipes frozen could the Instant Hot Water Recirculator from RedyTemp work [email protected] Home Repair 1 January 11th 04 12:18 PM