Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Toilet Cisterns etc ?

I am wanting to replace the low level toilet that I have with a cisten that
hangs on the wall and a short flush pipe to the pan.

Is there a difference in the actual cisterns used for what I want and what I
have or is it just that the low level way of fixing to the pan requires a
fixing kit with 2 bolts etc.

It may be that if there is no difference, then I can just change the pan.

Thanks as always for your help.
--
the_constructor

Don't tip it, recycle it. Join your local group.

http://freecycle.org/display.php?reg...ited%20Kingdom

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 13:05:23 +0100, "the_constructor"
mused:

I am wanting to replace the low level toilet that I have with a cisten that
hangs on the wall and a short flush pipe to the pan.

That is a low level.

Is there a difference in the actual cisterns used for what I want and what I
have or is it just that the low level way of fixing to the pan requires a
fixing kit with 2 bolts etc.

Dunno, not sure what it is you want.

It may be that if there is no difference, then I can just change the pan.

Thanks as always for your help.

I am a little lost as to what you actually have and what you want. I'm
not overly convinced you actually have the right terminology in use
here.

Close coupled;
http://www.4bathrooms.co.uk/store/images/T/Tiffany%20wc-01.jpg

Low level;
http://www.bathroomcity.co.uk/images/products/20-884.JPG

High level;
http://www.bathroomcity.co.uk/images/products/20-865.jpg
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Lurch" wrote in message
[...]

Ah, yes it rather looks like I got all the terminology wrong as you say
Stuart.

My thanks for the links, very helpful.

I have a close coupled toilet at the moment and would like this taken out
and a Low level toilet fetted.

Is the same cistern used for both the low level toilet and close coupled
toilet (the latter being fixed with a clamp plate underneath), because if it
is, I will only need to replace the toilet pan.

Hope that better explains things.

--
the_constructor

Don't tip it, recycle it. Join your local group.

http://freecycle.org/display.php?reg...ited%20Kingdom

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "the_constructor"
saying something like:

Is the same cistern used for both the low level toilet and close coupled
toilet (the latter being fixed with a clamp plate underneath), because if it
is, I will only need to replace the toilet pan.

Usually, yes. If you remove the close-coupling kit (the plate with the
slotted holes) and simply put a pair of L-brackets on the wall, the
cistern will sit on them happily, combined with the screws into the wall
to actually secure it.

Most close-coupled toilets use an ordinary cistern (part of the
manufacturers' range that matches the style of the toilet pan) that is
made to be a close-coupled one by the kit.
--

Dave
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 13:31:25 +0100, "the_constructor"
mused:

"Lurch" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Yep, bit clearer now. You need a new pan and cistern!
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Aug 11, 1:20 pm, Lurch wrote:
On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 13:05:23 +0100, "the_constructor"
mused:

I am wanting to replace the low level toilet that I have with a cisten that
hangs on the wall and a short flush pipe to the pan.

I am a little lost as to what you actually have and what you want. I'm not
overly convinced you actually have the right terminology in use here.

He has a toilet and he wants to get stuck in. Don't hold him back.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Lurch
saying something like:

Is the same cistern used for both the low level toilet and close coupled
toilet (the latter being fixed with a clamp plate underneath), because if it
is, I will only need to replace the toilet pan.

Hope that better explains things.

Yep, bit clearer now. You need a new pan and cistern!

Not necessarily a new cistern, unless it simply doesn't match the new
pan.
--

Dave
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 16:11:27 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon
mused:

drugs began to take hold. I remember Lurch
saying something like:

Is the same cistern used for both the low level toilet and close coupled
toilet (the latter being fixed with a clamp plate underneath), because if it
is, I will only need to replace the toilet pan.

Hope that better explains things.

Yep, bit clearer now. You need a new pan and cistern!

Not necessarily a new cistern, unless it simply doesn't match the new
pan.

Suppose you could seal up the fixing holes and use a close coupled
cistern, but you might also need to change the syphon. FWIW I'd just
change the lot, but you may not need to depending on how bodgey you
are.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:
"Lurch" wrote in message
[...]

You are unlikely to get a colour match - there are an amasing numbers of
white 'shades'.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Lurch
saying something like:

Suppose you could seal up the fixing holes and use a close coupled
cistern, but you might also need to change the syphon. FWIW I'd just
change the lot, but you may not need to depending on how bodgey you
are.

I'm assuming the PO is a bit skint or has a sentimental attachment to
his old cistern [1]. I'm also assuming it's one without fixing holes in
it, but even if it has it's easy to block them off.

[1] For example, I've been offered a Victorian cast iron cludgie cistern
which I'll use to replace the one that was destroyed by the PO of my
building - fekcing vandal the man was.
--

Dave

Quality Toilet Cisterns TheScullster UK diy 11 April 11th 07 11:34 PM
Cisterns Jimmie D Home Repair 10 July 24th 06 05:02 PM
know anything about cisterns? newboy UK diy 2 May 8th 05 08:56 PM
How do urinal cisterns work? Tim Dorrington UK diy 68 December 3rd 04 11:01 AM
Views on Drop valve Cisterns Adrian Simpson UK diy 0 March 22nd 04 12:04 AM