Junior Member

Unhappy know anything about cisterns?

My problem started with water leaking from the cistern to the pan. So I decided to lift the lid to see what the problem was.

The cistern is made by GALA and is a push button flush located in the centre of the lid.

So, I turned the collar (around the buttons) expecting it to unscrew and enable me to lift it off. However, it is not a screw fitment; turning it separated the plunger guide tube and everything came out but still attached to the lid.

The initial problem was solved by cleaning the rubber seal but I can’t put the mechanism back while it’s still attached to the lid. Attempting the reverse of the removal I can’t align the plunger- guide properly.

It looks as if it’s designed such that the collar (plastic) is the last piece to be fitted and “clicks” into the top of the flush mechanism. This will not “unclick” no matter how I pull, twist or lever with a screw driver. (i've not broken it yet, that might be the next step).

Does anyone know how to separate such a system from the lid, or what I’m missing (probably simple) or are they really designed so that if it’s removed it has to be broken and the whole thing replaced?

Regards, steve
Lobster

newboy wrote:
Does anyone know how to separate such a system from the lid, or what
I’m missing (probably simple) or are they really designed so that if
it’s removed it has to be broken and the whole thing replaced?

I've one of these I think; on mine there's a little chain which you have
to unhook to let you remove the lid. Very fiddly, you have to squeeze
your fingers in through a small gap. Hate it!

David
Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster
newboy wrote:
Does anyone know how to separate such a system from the lid, or what
I’m missing (probably simple) or are they really designed so that if
it’s removed it has to be broken and the whole thing replaced?

I've one of these I think; on mine there's a little chain which you have
to unhook to let you remove the lid. Very fiddly, you have to squeeze
your fingers in through a small gap. Hate it!

David
Thanks for the thought.

I have just solved the problem, while trying to break it in the gentlest possible way.

I knew it would be simple but ….

For anyone who has a similar problem; it’s the buttons that pull out (as they are not directly linked to the mechanism) to reveal the screw which holds the collar.

Steve