Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

Default Crockery Smells from Dish Washer

Often, but not every time, my pots and glasses have quite a strong
offensive smell to them after they have been washed in the dishwasher.

I can only describe the smell as "metallic" or "doggy" (which is that
odd smell of some dogs particularly when they are wet!!)

I have tried eliminating particular types of metal (cutlery) but
cannot track down the source.

Any else experienced the problem - know what it is, and even better -
how to cure it?
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

"judith" wrote in message

Often, but not every time, my pots and glasses have quite a strong
offensive smell to them after they have been washed in the dishwasher.

I can only describe the smell as "metallic" or "doggy" (which is that
odd smell of some dogs particularly when they are wet!!)

I have tried eliminating particular types of metal (cutlery) but
cannot track down the source.

Any else experienced the problem - know what it is, and even better -
how to cure it?

Tried changing your rinse aid?

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"judith" wrote in message

Often, but not every time, my pots and glasses have quite a strong
offensive smell to them after they have been washed in the
dishwasher. I can only describe the smell as "metallic" or "doggy" (which
is that
odd smell of some dogs particularly when they are wet!!)

I have tried eliminating particular types of metal (cutlery) but
cannot track down the source.

Any else experienced the problem - know what it is, and even better -
how to cure it?

Tried changing your rinse aid?

or at least 'using' it.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

Ophelia wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
"judith" wrote in message

Often, but not every time, my pots and glasses have quite a strong
offensive smell to them after they have been washed in the
dishwasher. I can only describe the smell as "metallic" or "doggy"
(which is that
odd smell of some dogs particularly when they are wet!!)

I have tried eliminating particular types of metal (cutlery) but
cannot track down the source.

Any else experienced the problem - know what it is, and even better
- how to cure it?

Tried changing your rinse aid?

or at least 'using' it.

No! I meant dishwasher cleaner! It really makes it smell clean and fresh.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 20:02:54 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"judith" wrote in message
.. .

Often, but not every time, my pots and glasses have quite a strong
offensive smell to them after they have been washed in the dishwasher.

I can only describe the smell as "metallic" or "doggy" (which is that
odd smell of some dogs particularly when they are wet!!)

I have tried eliminating particular types of metal (cutlery) but
cannot track down the source.

Any else experienced the problem - know what it is, and even better -
how to cure it?

Tried changing your rinse aid?

yes -tried changing

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

Ophelia wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
"judith" wrote in message

Often, but not every time, my pots and glasses have quite a strong
offensive smell to them after they have been washed in the
dishwasher. I can only describe the smell as "metallic" or "doggy"
(which is that
odd smell of some dogs particularly when they are wet!!)

I have tried eliminating particular types of metal (cutlery) but
cannot track down the source.

Any else experienced the problem - know what it is, and even
better - how to cure it?

Tried changing your rinse aid?

or at least 'using' it.

No! I meant dishwasher cleaner! It really makes it smell clean and
fresh.

Yes - I do use it

ah well, perhaps you need to try changing it?

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

"Ophelia" wrote in message

No! I meant dishwasher cleaner! It really makes it smell clean and
fresh.

Just think for a minute or two...

put in cleaner..
switch on..
fills with water..
washes..

Then it rinses all the stuff in the wash away..

then it adds rinse aid..

Just how does the cleaner still smell afterwards?
If it does what is it leaving behind that all those rinses failed to remove?

Next you will be thinking those "salt action" power balls actually do the
job of the salt. ;-)

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message

No! I meant dishwasher cleaner! It really makes it smell clean and
fresh.

Just think for a minute or two...

put in cleaner..
switch on..
fills with water..
washes..

Then it rinses all the stuff in the wash away..

then it adds rinse aid..

Just how does the cleaner still smell afterwards?
If it does what is it leaving behind that all those rinses failed to
remove?
Next you will be thinking those "salt action" power balls actually do
the job of the salt. ;-)

If my dishwasher is smelly, I buy a bottle of dw cleaner and run the
programme. thereafter it smells sweet! What is the problem with that?

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

"judith" wrote in message

Often, but not every time, my pots and glasses have quite a strong
offensive smell to them after they have been washed in the dishwasher.

I can only describe the smell as "metallic" or "doggy" (which is that
odd smell of some dogs particularly when they are wet!!)

I have tried eliminating particular types of metal (cutlery) but
cannot track down the source.

Any else experienced the problem - know what it is, and even better -
how to cure it?

It's not actually the dishwasher - it's the water itself. We sometimes have
things too big to fit in the dishwasher so wash them by hand in the sink and
they smell the same. We had family visiting from a different part of the
country once and they smelled it and said that they sometimes suffer the
same problems.

A mate of mine works in the quality control lab of a brewery (brewery have
their own wells so they don't suffer from it but he does at his house) and
he reckons that it's something to do with the water company not dosing
something correctly. Bottom line - I don't think you can do anything. We've
never found a cure, it eventually goes away of its own accord (or when a
water company operative gets the dosages correct ))

John

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

In article , judith
writes

Often, but not every time, my pots and glasses have quite a strong
offensive smell to them after they have been washed in the dishwasher.

I can only describe the smell as "metallic" or "doggy" (which is that
odd smell of some dogs particularly when they are wet!!)

I have tried eliminating particular types of metal (cutlery) but
cannot track down the source.

Any else experienced the problem - know what it is, and even better -
how to cure it?

Does your dishwasher outlet couple directly into your sink trap? Is there
any chance that a sink full of water being discharged is flushing stagnant
waste water into the machine?
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y
CP CP is offline

On Aug 3, 8:28 pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message

No! I meant dishwasher cleaner! It really makes it smell clean and
fresh.

Just think for a minute or two...

put in cleaner..
switch on..
fills with water..
washes..

Then it rinses all the stuff in the wash away..

then it adds rinse aid..

Just how does the cleaner still smell afterwards?
If it does what is it leaving behind that all those rinses failed to
remove?
Next you will be thinking those "salt action" power balls actually do
the job of the salt. ;-)

If my dishwasher is smelly, I buy a bottle of dw cleaner and run the
programme. thereafter it smells sweet! What is the problem with that?

Some of us don't have swanky dishwasher thingy gadgets and instead
have to use our hands. And sans Marigolds, if you're the male of the
species.

Some of us don't have a swanky 4x4, either! ;-)

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

CP wrote:
On Aug 3, 8:28 pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message

[...]

*struttety strutt* G

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , judith
writes

Does your dishwasher outlet couple directly into your sink trap? Is there
any chance that a sink full of water being discharged is flushing stagnant
waste water into the machine?

Bingo!, Our recent redesign of our kitchen put the DW the other side of the
room having its own
waste pipe to the outside world.
No more smells!
still get smeared glasses, so wash them by hand, but thats another post.
--
Vass

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

"judith" wrote in message

Often, but not every time, my pots and glasses have quite a strong
offensive smell to them after they have been washed in the dishwasher.

I can only describe the smell as "metallic" or "doggy" (which is that
odd smell of some dogs particularly when they are wet!!)

I have tried eliminating particular types of metal (cutlery) but
cannot track down the source.

Any else experienced the problem - know what it is, and even better -
how to cure it?

Yes. Use some a bowl, some water, a good brush and elbow grease. You will
instantly save the planet by your greener actions and eliminate canine
odours at the same time.

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 18:16:11 UTC, judith wrote:

Often, but not every time, my pots and glasses have quite a strong
offensive smell to them after they have been washed in the dishwasher.

I can only describe the smell as "metallic" or "doggy" (which is that
odd smell of some dogs particularly when they are wet!!)

I have tried eliminating particular types of metal (cutlery) but
cannot track down the source.

Any else experienced the problem - know what it is, and even better -
how to cure it?

Some dishwashers need manual cleaning of filters, etc. Have you done
this?
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

CP wrote:
On Aug 3, 8:28 pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message

[...]

Similar behaviour; if I even start looking at one of those 4x4 things, I
should be humane disposed of!

We do not have a dishwasher at home but I do use one at a local Bowls
Club when doing my stint on bar duty. We deliberately leave the door
open overnight to avoid any anaerobic bugs growing in the thing. Is it
possible that infrequent use ( with the door closed between uses) is a
cause?

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 19:16:11 +0100, judith wrote:

Often, but not every time, my pots and glasses have quite a strong
offensive smell to them after they have been washed in the dishwasher.

I can only describe the smell as "metallic" or "doggy" (which is that
odd smell of some dogs particularly when they are wet!!)

I have tried eliminating particular types of metal (cutlery) but
cannot track down the source.

Any else experienced the problem - know what it is, and even better -
how to cure it?

There's a plastic matrix in the casing of the dishwasher that controls
the water flow ( in and out ) of the machine - and over a period of
time it gets contaminated with gunk.
It's a fiddly job to remove and clean, though not difficult.
I've posted the full description of the job in uk.diy previously - a
google search on my name in the forum should bring it up.

Otherwise you could try placing two cups filled with vinegar in the
machine and setting it on a full wash ( bung your glasses in at the
same time ).
Rather more controversially (?) I've found a healthy squirt of bleach
in the machine followed by a full wash will both sort out the odours
and go some way to cleaning out the matrix. It foams like crazy though
and you'll need to run through a fair few manual cold rinses to get it
all out ( a watering can with a rose works a treat! ).

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

"judith" wrote in message

Often, but not every time, my pots and glasses have quite a strong
offensive smell to them after they have been washed in the dishwasher.

I can only describe the smell as "metallic" or "doggy" (which is that
odd smell of some dogs particularly when they are wet!!)

I have tried eliminating particular types of metal (cutlery) but
cannot track down the source.

Any else experienced the problem - know what it is, and even better -
how to cure it?

I always check the filter to see if there's any food in there as my first
check. I've started to use white vinegar in the rinse aid section over the
last week and my glasses are sparkling and there's no whiffs. Perhaps you
could try that.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 22:39:06 GMT, "clot" mused:

CP wrote:
On Aug 3, 8:28 pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message

[...]

Yep, I always tend to crack the doors open on things when they're
resting just to air them, washers, dishwashers, fridges (when they're
unplugged) etc...
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 20:02:19 GMT, fred wrote:

In article , judith
writes

Often, but not every time, my pots and glasses have quite a strong
offensive smell to them after they have been washed in the dishwasher.

I can only describe the smell as "metallic" or "doggy" (which is that
odd smell of some dogs particularly when they are wet!!)

I have tried eliminating particular types of metal (cutlery) but
cannot track down the source.

Any else experienced the problem - know what it is, and even better -
how to cure it?

Does your dishwasher outlet couple directly into your sink trap? Is there
any chance that a sink full of water being discharged is flushing stagnant
waste water into the machine?

no everything like that is fine - the washer itself does not smell -
it is just the pots/glasses and sometime worse than others.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

"judith" wrote in message

Often, but not every time, my pots and glasses have quite a strong
offensive smell to them after they have been washed in the dishwasher.

I can only describe the smell as "metallic" or "doggy" (which is that
odd smell of some dogs particularly when they are wet!!)

I have tried eliminating particular types of metal (cutlery) but
cannot track down the source.

Any else experienced the problem - know what it is, and even better -
how to cure it?

Posted this last night but can't see it so assuming it never got to the
server - apologies if anyone is seeing this twice )

It's not actually the dishwasher - it's the water itself. We sometimes have
things too big to fit in the dishwasher so wash them by hand in the sink and
they smell the same. We had family visiting from a different part of the
country once and they smelled it and said that they sometimes suffer the
same problems.

A mate of mine works in the quality control lab of a brewery (brewery have
their own wells so they don't suffer from it but he does at his house) and
he reckons that it's something to do with the water company not dosing
something correctly. Bottom line - I don't think you can do anything. We've
never found a cure, it eventually goes away of its own accord (or when a
water company operative gets the dosages correct ))

John

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

"Lurch" wrote in message

Yep, I always tend to crack the doors open on things when they're
resting just to air them, washers, dishwashers, fridges (when they're
unplugged) etc...

Oddly enough I do that with my washing machine. Must remember to do that
with the dishwasher.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

"Vass" wrote in message

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , judith
writes

Does your dishwasher outlet couple directly into your sink trap? Is there
any chance that a sink full of water being discharged is flushing
stagnant
waste water into the machine?

Bingo!, Our recent redesign of our kitchen put the DW the other side of
the room having its own
waste pipe to the outside world.
No more smells!
still get smeared glasses, so wash them by hand, but thats another post.

Smeared glass is either no/not enough rinse aid or too strong a detergent if
they are actually milky and won't wipe clean.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

"Crockery Squad" wrote in message

"judith" wrote in message

Often, but not every time, my pots and glasses have quite a strong
offensive smell to them after they have been washed in the dishwasher.

I can only describe the smell as "metallic" or "doggy" (which is that
odd smell of some dogs particularly when they are wet!!)

I have tried eliminating particular types of metal (cutlery) but
cannot track down the source.

Any else experienced the problem - know what it is, and even better -
how to cure it?

Yes. Use some a bowl, some water, a good brush and elbow grease. You will
instantly save the planet by your greener actions and eliminate canine
odours at the same time.

You probably use more water than a dish washer does.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y
CP CP is offline

On Aug 4, 3:02 pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
"Lurch" wrote in message

Yep, I always tend to crack the doors open on things when they're
resting just to air them, washers, dishwashers, fridges (when they're
unplugged) etc...

Oddly enough I do that with my washing machine. Must remember to do that
with the dishwasher.

Yebbut don't do it with your 4x4 : that would just be asking for
trouble!

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 14:12:46 -0000, CP
mused:

On Aug 4, 3:02 pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
"Lurch" wrote in message

Yep, I always tend to crack the doors open on things when they're
resting just to air them, washers, dishwashers, fridges (when they're
unplugged) etc...

Oddly enough I do that with my washing machine. Must remember to do that
with the dishwasher.

Yebbut don't do it with your 4x4 : that would just be asking for
trouble!

The armed butlers would stop any trouble from starting on the grounds
behind the walls\gates.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

"CP" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 4, 3:02 pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
"Lurch" wrote in message

Yep, I always tend to crack the doors open on things when they're
resting just to air them, washers, dishwashers, fridges (when they're
unplugged) etc...

Oddly enough I do that with my washing machine. Must remember to do
that
with the dishwasher.

Yebbut don't do it with your 4x4 : that would just be asking for
trouble!

I know who is asking for trubble.....................................

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Aug 4, 3:02 pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
"Lurch" wrote in message

Yep, I always tend to crack the doors open on things when they're
resting just to air them, washers, dishwashers, fridges (when they're
unplugged) etc...

Oddly enough I do that with my washing machine. Must remember to do
that
with the dishwasher.

Yebbut don't do it with your 4x4 : that would just be asking for
trouble!

The armed butlers would stop any trouble from starting on the grounds
behind the walls\gates.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

"Armed Butlers"?

Multi tasking?

People who 'can', have Armed Security Guards AND Butlers to do their
respective tasks.

Mike
Chief Cook, Bottle Washer, Driver, Handyman, general dogs body

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y
CP CP is offline

On Aug 4, 3:17 pm, Lurch wrote:
On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 14:12:46 -0000, CP
mused:

On Aug 4, 3:02 pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
"Lurch" wrote in message

. ..

Yep, I always tend to crack the doors open on things when they're
resting just to air them, washers, dishwashers, fridges (when they're
unplugged) etc...

Oddly enough I do that with my washing machine. Must remember to do that
with the dishwasher.

Yebbut don't do it with your 4x4 : that would just be asking for
trouble!

The armed butlers would stop any trouble from starting on the grounds
behind the walls\gates.

Yes, together with the scantily-clad Nubian flunkies, armed with
scimitars, that O keeps as a sort of praetorian guard, she has all
bases covered...

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

"CP" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 4, 3:17 pm, Lurch wrote:
On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 14:12:46 -0000, CP
mused:

On Aug 4, 3:02 pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
"Lurch" wrote in message

. ..

Yep, I always tend to crack the doors open on things when they're
resting just to air them, washers, dishwashers, fridges (when
they're
unplugged) etc...

Oddly enough I do that with my washing machine. Must remember to do
that
with the dishwasher.

Yebbut don't do it with your 4x4 : that would just be asking for
trouble!

The armed butlers would stop any trouble from starting on the grounds
behind the walls\gates.

Yes, together with the scantily-clad Nubian flunkies, armed with
scimitars, that O keeps as a sort of praetorian guard, she has all
bases covered...

Hmmm well there are those..............................

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y
Rob Rob is offline

Crockery Squad wrote:
"judith" wrote in message
Often, but not every time, my pots and glasses have quite a strong
offensive smell to them after they have been washed in the dishwasher.

I can only describe the smell as "metallic" or "doggy" (which is that
odd smell of some dogs particularly when they are wet!!)

I have tried eliminating particular types of metal (cutlery) but
cannot track down the source.

Any else experienced the problem - know what it is, and even better -
how to cure it?

Yes. Use some a bowl, some water, a good brush and elbow grease. You will
instantly save the planet by your greener actions and eliminate canine
odours at the same time.

HTH

Do you have any figures on this? FYI a dishwasher uses about 1kWh and 12
litres of water for what they call 12 place settings, plus its own
cocktail of chemicals.

I suspect the difference is not that great depending on the household,
detergent used, pile high strategies, and method of water heating.

Rob
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

Rob wrote:
Crockery Squad wrote:

Yes. Use some a bowl, some water, a good brush and elbow grease. You
will instantly save the planet by your greener actions and eliminate
canine odours at the same time.

HTH

Do you have any figures on this? FYI a dishwasher uses about 1kWh and 12
litres of water for what they call 12 place settings, plus its own
cocktail of chemicals.

I suspect the difference is not that great depending on the household,
detergent used, pile high strategies, and method of water heating.

Rob

The Italian government says use the DW because it uses less potable
water in this crisis period.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

"Giusi" wrote in message
Rob wrote:
Crockery Squad wrote:

Yes. Use some a bowl, some water, a good brush and elbow grease. You
will instantly save the planet by your greener actions and eliminate
canine odours at the same time.

HTH

Do you have any figures on this? FYI a dishwasher uses about 1kWh and 12
litres of water for what they call 12 place settings, plus its own
cocktail of chemicals.

I suspect the difference is not that great depending on the household,
detergent used, pile high strategies, and method of water heating.

Rob

The Italian government says use the DW because it uses less potable water
in this crisis period.

ahh thanks. That makes me feel a lot better about using ours)))

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

Giusi wrote:

The Italian government says use the DW because it uses less potable
water in this crisis period.

But the Italian government is noted for its misleading and often
incorrect advice. I really can't trust a government that tells me to
save water in an isolated hill farm, while diverting the water from the
farms to the coast in order to permit the tourists to have endless
showers.

Studies in the US have indicated that a dishwasher can save up to 24
gallons of water on rinse cycle compared to the use of wwater in a
domestic sink.

http://www.joe.org/joe/2003february/rb3.shtml

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

Crockery Squad wrote:

Yes. Use some a bowl, some water, a good brush and elbow grease. You will
instantly save the planet by your greener actions and eliminate canine
odours at the same time.

Drivel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 13:35:15 +0100, "John"
wrote:

Rubber washers in hose connections can start to rot away causing
taint, and bugs can start growing on the inside of plastic hoses. A
new set of dishwasher fill hoses wouldn't break the bank. The door
seal, particularly the dribble area where it closes at the bottom
needs to be kept clean preferably with a chlorine bleach.

It's not actually the dishwasher - it's the water itself. We sometimes have
things too big to fit in the dishwasher so wash them by hand in the sink and
they smell the same. We had family visiting from a different part of the
country once and they smelled it and said that they sometimes suffer the
same problems.

A mate of mine works in the quality control lab of a brewery (brewery have
their own wells so they don't suffer from it but he does at his house) and
he reckons that it's something to do with the water company not dosing
something correctly. Bottom line - I don't think you can do anything. We've
never found a cure, it eventually goes away of its own accord (or when a
water company operative gets the dosages correct ))

I once asked for a glass of (tap) water in an London restaurant to
take some tablets.The waiter looked at me a bit funny and it never
arrived. So I asked again and reluctantly the waiter brought it. I
thought he was a bit miffed because he would have preferred to sell a
bottle of mineral water, however that wasn't the issue, their water
was tainted and tasted foul ! They must have been cooking in it :-(

Foul odours and other contaminants in mains water can be removed by an
activated charcoal filter - something like this would fit the bill :

http://www.domestic-filters.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=43

It's important to replace the filter cartridge at the recommended
intervals because bugs start growing in it when it's expired.

DG

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Crockery Squad wrote:

You will instantly save the planet.

Drivel.

Well done. It is drivel but Duhg may disagree.

Dish Washer frame Bob Home Repair 3 August 23rd 06 02:46 PM
dish washer mauro Home Repair 1 August 12th 06 03:41 AM
failing dish washer p cooper UK diy 19 May 6th 06 04:25 PM
Adding a dish washer orangetrader Home Repair 6 February 22nd 05 10:56 PM
live dish washer Geoff UK diy 10 June 4th 04 08:55 AM