Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CH drain cock outside house?

Is tgee any reason why i shoud not fit a central heating drain-down
cock outside the house?

I plan to run some new pipework for ground floor radiators under the
floor; currently they are fed individually by drops from the 1st floor
and each one has its owen drai ncock. It is not easy to access
thunder ground floor space so I don't want the CH drain cock hidden
down there. but it does need to be at th elowest point of the plumbing
of course. I could bring out a pipe through the external wall, below
internal floor level, and put a drain cock on it outside.

Possible freezing might be one reason of course, but is there any
building rule that says the drain cock must be inside the house?

TIA

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RobertL" wrote in message
ups.com...

Is tgee any reason why i shoud not fit a central heating drain-down
cock outside the house?

I plan to run some new pipework for ground floor radiators under the
floor; currently they are fed individually by drops from the 1st

floor
and each one has its owen drai ncock. It is not easy to access
thunder ground floor space so I don't want the CH drain cock hidden
down there. but it does need to be at th elowest point of the

plumbing
of course. I could bring out a pipe through the external wall,

below
internal floor level, and put a drain cock on it outside.

Possible freezing might be one reason of course, but is there any
building rule that says the drain cock must be inside the house?

TIA

Robert

Well that's exactly what I did on my last house, but that was 25 years
ago ! It's extremely handy - I just plumbed the lowest point on the
ground floor via 15mm to a drain cock above an outside drain. Even if
the stub froze I doubt it would cause problems as the freezing ice
plug would be able to expand backwards into the rest of the system.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 3, 2:20 pm, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
"RobertL" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Thanks Andrew, I would likewise be able to make the drain emerge just
above the external drain.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 06:15:37 -0700 someone who may be RobertL
wrote this:-

Is tgee any reason why i shoud not fit a central heating drain-down
cock outside the house?

Assuming that it is designed to avoid ice damage to the rest of the
system, the only great concern is vandalism.

You didn't say which country you are in, so it is difficult to say
what the rules are. AFAIAA there is no rule against it in this
country.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 14:20:04 +0100, Andrew Mawson wrote:

I just plumbed the lowest point on the ground floor via 15mm to a drain
cock above an outside drain.

And the tap doesn't have to be outside only the end of the pipe. Though I
get the impression from the OP that the lowest point in the system will be
inaccessable or at least not easy, small trap in the floor prehaps?

Even if the stub froze I doubt it would cause problems as the freezing
ice plug would be able to expand backwards into the rest of the system.

That is what I would expect as well, of course if the tap is inside the
bit of pipe one from there is dry, make sure it's down hill all the way
though!

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RobertL" wrote in message
ups.com...

Is tgee any reason why i shoud not fit a central heating drain-down
cock outside the house?

I plan to run some new pipework for ground floor radiators under the
floor; currently they are fed individually by drops from the 1st floor
and each one has its owen drai ncock. It is not easy to access
thunder ground floor space so I don't want the CH drain cock hidden
down there. but it does need to be at th elowest point of the plumbing
of course. I could bring out a pipe through the external wall, below
internal floor level, and put a drain cock on it outside.

Possible freezing might be one reason of course, but is there any
building rule that says the drain cock must be inside the house?

TIA

Robert

Brilliant - all houses should have one.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
RobertL writes
On Aug 3, 2:20 pm, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
"RobertL" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

I've done the same as Andrew, I used a lockshield drain cock so that it's
not easy for someone to casually drain it down and then not thinking that
was secure enough I added a 90deg ball valve in line with it inside the
house below the boiler.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"John" wrote in message

"RobertL" wrote in message
ups.com...

Is tgee any reason why i shoud not fit a central heating drain-down
cock outside the house?

I plan to run some new pipework for ground floor radiators under the
floor; currently they are fed individually by drops from the 1st floor
and each one has its owen drai ncock. It is not easy to access
thunder ground floor space so I don't want the CH drain cock hidden
down there. but it does need to be at th elowest point of the plumbing
of course. I could bring out a pipe through the external wall, below
internal floor level, and put a drain cock on it outside.

Possible freezing might be one reason of course, but is there any
building rule that says the drain cock must be inside the house?

TIA

Robert

Brilliant - all houses should have one.

John

Seen this done where a box was set into the outer skin of the wall much like
a meter box only much smaller.

It had drain cocks for both flow and return pipes and had rockwool
insulation which could be pulled out when needed

Tony

position of CH drain cock jon UK diy 7 June 15th 05 07:11 PM
Drain cock replacement?? Jon UK diy 4 May 2nd 05 05:30 PM
Stuck drain cock on DHW mike ring UK diy 8 July 20th 04 07:41 PM
CH drain cock leaking Alan Campbell UK diy 2 December 31st 03 12:32 PM
Drain cock Ed Rear UK diy 21 November 3rd 03 11:06 AM