jon

Default position of CH drain cock

Is it ok to put this on the start of the downstairs run on the 22mm pipe on
the flow side, just before the first radiator. Or must it go the 15mm
radiator pipe, or should it be on the return side?

TIA

Jon

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
jon wrote:
Is it ok to put this on the start of the downstairs run on the 22mm pipe
on the flow side, just before the first radiator. Or must it go the
15mm radiator pipe, or should it be on the return side?

Don't think it matters - it only has to be as low as possible. A
combination sort on a rad close to a door so you can run a hose outside
can be a good idea.

--
*For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"jon" writes:
Is it ok to put this on the start of the downstairs run on the 22mm pipe on
the flow side, just before the first radiator. Or must it go the 15mm
radiator pipe, or should it be on the return side?

They should be fitted to all the lowest points, such that you
can completely drain the system. It doesn't matter were logically
that is in the radiator circuit. I always fit in the flow and
return at such points.

--
Andrew Gabriel
John Rumm

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Don't think it matters - it only has to be as low as possible. A
combination sort on a rad close to a door so you can run a hose outside
can be a good idea.

Or pick a spot along a pipe that is level with a gully outside, fit a
tee and an inline valve then connect it to a pipe that goes through the
wall. That way when you want to drain the system you just open the valve
- no need to mess about with hoses etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Don't think it matters - it only has to be as low as possible. A
combination sort on a rad close to a door so you can run a hose outside
can be a good idea.

Or pick a spot along a pipe that is level with a gully outside, fit a
tee and an inline valve then connect it to a pipe that goes through the
wall. That way when you want to drain the system you just open the valve
- no need to mess about with hoses etc.

Sounds awfully organised to me. ;-)

--
*Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

John Rumm

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Or pick a spot along a pipe that is level with a gully outside, fit a
tee and an inline valve then connect it to a pipe that goes through the
wall. That way when you want to drain the system you just open the valve
- no need to mess about with hoses etc.

Sounds awfully organised to me. ;-)

In my case it required less organisation than trying to find a spare bit
of hose each time! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

jon

"jon" wrote in message
Is it ok to put this on the start of the downstairs run on the 22mm pipe
on the flow side, just before the first radiator. Or must it go the 15mm
radiator pipe, or should it be on the return side?

TIA

Jon

Thanks for all replies.

Jon

Doctor Evil

"jon" wrote in message

"jon" wrote in message
Is it ok to put this on the start of the downstairs run on the 22mm pipe
on the flow side, just before the first radiator. Or must it go the 15mm
radiator pipe, or should it be on the return side?

Anywhere on the lowest point. You might want to tee off the lowest point
and take a 15mm pipe to a position over say a gully, and terminate the drain
cock there. Then no hose pipe involved in draining down. Get a good quality
drain cock.

Drain cock replacement?? Jon UK diy 4 May 2nd 05 05:30 PM
Drain cock for central heating mike UK diy 6 February 21st 04 09:53 PM
CH drain cock leaking Alan Campbell UK diy 2 December 31st 03 12:32 PM
Shower Drain Problem Please Help Michael Roback Home Repair 1 October 26th 03 01:27 PM
Shower Drain Problem Please Help Michael Roback Home Ownership 1 October 26th 03 01:27 PM