Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How far is it safe to lean over from a scaffolding tower?

Need to do gutter repairs, fascia painting and all that (been here 20
years - 'bout time I did it) and I plan to do it off a hired tower.
Trouble is that the house has bay windows and other obstructions which
stop one getting a tower in close to the wall all the way round. I
guess the bottom of the tower would be as much as a meter out at those
points.

Is it safe to plan to lean over to get at the gutters? I will get a
tower with outriggers.

--

Henry Law Manchester, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 22:46:49 +0100, Henry Law
wrote:

Need to do gutter repairs, fascia painting and all that (been here 20
years - 'bout time I did it) and I plan to do it off a hired tower.
Trouble is that the house has bay windows and other obstructions which
stop one getting a tower in close to the wall all the way round. I
guess the bottom of the tower would be as much as a meter out at those
points.

Is it safe to plan to lean over to get at the gutters? I will get a
tower with outriggers.

Can't see a problem with that.
Looks safe to m

....sorry..couldn't resist!

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Henry Law" wrote in message
Need to do gutter repairs, fascia painting and all that (been here

20
years - 'bout time I did it) and I plan to do it off a hired tower.
Trouble is that the house has bay windows and other obstructions

which
stop one getting a tower in close to the wall all the way round. I
guess the bottom of the tower would be as much as a meter out at

those
points.

Is it safe to plan to lean over to get at the gutters? I will get a
tower with outriggers.

--

Henry Law Manchester, England

I had a similar(ish) situation with my tower (actually using it as a
cantelever tower crane to lift the casing off a large 100kva
generator) and I tethered the 'likely to lift' side to a very heavy
weight ( a pallet of sash weights weighing over a ton) with a taut
rope.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Henry Law" wrote in message
[...]

If you lean towards the house, that's the way the tower will fall.

And I reckon it WILL.

However there is a perfectly simple way to stop it.

Out a plank across the platform that butts up to the house and screw it
down to the platform You can safely (probably) even walk along it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Henry Law wrote:
Need to do gutter repairs, fascia painting and all that (been here 20
years - 'bout time I did it) and I plan to do it off a hired tower.
Trouble is that the house has bay windows and other obstructions which
stop one getting a tower in close to the wall all the way round. I
guess the bottom of the tower would be as much as a meter out at those
points.

Is it safe to plan to lean over to get at the gutters? I will get a
tower with outriggers.

You'll probably spend more time moving the tower than doing the work
and, if you've still got to stretch a metre, it hardly seems worth it.
Scaffolding probably wouldn't be that much dearer and you would have
proper access. You also wouldn't have to worry about the mounting hire
charges if the weather turns against you.
I'd think about having the whole lot replaced in plastic but I don't
know the extent of the "cladding". Upvc installation is one of those
areas where prices are sufficiently reasonable to tempt me away from
d-i-y. Working off ladders obviously keeps the costs down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Need to do gutter repairs, fascia painting and all that (been here 20
years - 'bout time I did it) and I plan to do it off a hired tower.
Trouble is that the house has bay windows and other obstructions which
stop one getting a tower in close to the wall all the way round. I
guess the bottom of the tower would be as much as a meter out at those
points.

Is it safe to plan to lean over to get at the gutters? I will get a
tower with outriggers.

So you know - Wickes, and other places sell 'drain rods' but they also
come with an attachment to help scrape out gutters. May save you from
over-reaching

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Henry Law" wrote in message
Need to do gutter repairs, fascia painting and all that (been here 20
years - 'bout time I did it) and I plan to do it off a hired tower.
Trouble is that the house has bay windows and other obstructions which
stop one getting a tower in close to the wall all the way round. I guess
the bottom of the tower would be as much as a meter out at those points.

Is it safe to plan to lean over to get at the gutters? I will get a tower
with outriggers.

Don't know your exact dimensions but would a ladder with a good standoff
clear the bay? If you have deep soffits there is a "microlite" standoff
which bridges to the roof which gives really good clearance as well as safe
roof access.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Alexander wrote:

Don't know your exact dimensions but would a ladder with a good standoff
clear the bay? If you have deep soffits there is a "microlite" standoff
which bridges to the roof which gives really good clearance as well as safe
roof access.

That's worth a go. I've got a standoff already - a small one, about
350mm - and use it all the time for window painting and such, but it's
not deep enough for the gutters, which overhang more than that. The
idea of a deeper one hadn't occurred to me.

--

Henry Law Manchester, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Need to do gutter repairs, fascia painting and all that (been here 20
years - 'bout time I did it) and I plan to do it off a hired tower.
Trouble is that the house has bay windows and other obstructions
which stop one getting a tower in close to the wall all the way
round. I guess the bottom of the tower would be as much as a meter
out at those points.

Is it safe to plan to lean over to get at the gutters? I will get a
tower with outriggers.

Can't see a problem with that.
Looks safe to m

...sorry..couldn't resist!

Just brilliant :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

contained the following:

I'll price a complete scaffold from a local supplier - that really would
make everything so much easier - but I can't imagine that it would stack
up in economic terms against £150-odd per week for an alloy tower.

Buy scaffold, do job, sell scaffold. Sorted.
--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Henry Law writes:
wrote:
So you know - Wickes, and other places sell 'drain rods'
Thanks for this and other replies; I'm particularly taken by the

NP's
idea of bracing the tower against the wall of the house with a

plank or
planks, and Andrew Mawson's of installing ballast on the
away-from-the-wall side, though I'm not sure I've got anything

heavy enough.
I'll price a complete scaffold from a local supplier - that

really
would
make everything so much easier - but I can't imagine that it

would
stack
up in economic terms against £150-odd per week for an alloy

tower.
It was £300 to get the front of my house scaffolded for 4 weeks,
and £15/week extra thereafter. That was for a structure strong
enough to take weight of roof tiles whilst I replaced the felt

and
battens. I would do that again without any hesitation, verses

using
ladders or towers.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Well this January it was £1100 to scafold access to my roof to

replace
a SINGLE tile !!! OK It's three stories and it was an insurance
claim - I was horrified but the insurance company said it was

cheap -
but I thought that they were bonkers !

AWEM

And I expect the roofer shot up a ladder to do the initial

inspection.

25 years ago the entire roof was retiled off ladders !

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Henry Law writes:
wrote:
[...]

Mine was only 5 years ago, luckily without detection by the safety
police. The roofer was telling me how they used to repair church
steeples off a ladder.
Net result of the new thinking is that nothing gets repaired, and
everything is left until it becomes a major job.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Jul, 22:46, Henry Law wrote:
Need to do gutter repairs, fascia painting and all that (been here 20
years - 'bout time I did it) and I plan to do it off a hired tower.
Trouble is that the house has bay windows and other obstructions which
stop one getting a tower in close to the wall all the way round. I
guess the bottom of the tower would be as much as a meter out at those
points.

Is it safe to plan to lean over to get at the gutters? I will get a
tower with outriggers.

--

Henry Law Manchester, England

Tell the hire shop thats what you want to do, and they will find a
tower to do the deal.
For example cuplock (heavy steel tower) has parts to extend the
platform at the top bigger than the base, where as a H section tower
it would be V dangerous.

Also consider a cherry picker, lots of hire shops do them.

Rick

Explain scaffolding to me? [email protected] Home Repair 19 May 16th 06 05:07 PM
Scaffolding collapse Weatherlawyer UK diy 19 April 13th 06 07:04 AM
What thread for UK Scaffolding? [email protected] UK diy 1 July 31st 05 07:33 PM
Scaffolding Fred UK diy 12 June 25th 05 06:26 PM
Scaffolding Price Hamie UK diy 11 May 19th 05 12:07 PM