Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrical guru's?

OK, not DIY but interesting anyway.

Yesterday, I was sat at my computer at about 3.00pm and suddenly the
computer and the wireless router went off, I was listening to the radio
tuner of the hi-fi and that went off, but at the same time I was using the
DVD/HDD recorder to dub some stuff from the hard drive to DVD (with the
telly on so that I could see what was going on, but the sound turned down)
and that *remained on* and OK - all of these being fed on the same ring
main.

Meanwhile, my wife was in the kitchen (which is on a seperate ring main) and
she came in to say that her telly had gone off but the kettle was still on.
I looked at the consumer unit, not really knowing what to expect - MCBs
couldn't have tripped or everything on those circuits would be off, but they
weren't. As expected, nothing was untoward. Then a neighbour came knocking
to say that something similar had happened at their house and was wondering
if we'd noticed anything.

Just been talking to a mate of mine on the phone and he said, "Did your
lektrickery go off at about 3 o'clock yesterday?" Apparently, he was in town
shopping and various shop lights and stuff went off. Half an hour later, he
rings his wife at work and she says that she'll not be home on time as
*some* of the computers (not all) had thrown a wobbly - her office is in
town.

When he got home, he found that his kitchen fridge was off and that a
clock/radio in the bedroom had gone off (because the display was flashing).
His beer fridge in the garage was OK though (PHEW!!! ))

Now, my house, his house, and town are roughly in a triangle geographically,
with each side of the triangle being about 3, maybe even 4 miles. How the
hell could this have happened and more to the point, just exactly *what*
happened??

John (this is in Preston, Lancashire, BTW)

electrical ? gg Home Repair 13 December 7th 06 12:12 PM
electrical Tommy Home Repair 10 May 18th 06 06:55 PM
Electrical putty vs. silicone for sealing exterior electrical holes? blueman Home Repair 3 April 1st 05 10:06 PM
Any Solid Surface Guru's out there? Russ Penrose Woodworking 4 February 26th 05 12:55 AM
electrical dave marriage UK diy 11 November 6th 03 08:07 PM