Posted to alt.home.repair
gg gg is offline

Default electrical ?

got this tanning bed 12 bulbs on top 100w each with a 16 ga. cord with 20A
250v plug on it.
then the bottom is the same set up 12 bulbs 100w each with a 16 ga. cord
with 20A 250v plug on it. both plugs are replacements ,not what came org.
so I have 2 plugs that must be plugged into 2 different 20A outlets
do I have to stay with the 2 separate outlets and plugs or can I combine
the two power cords at the plug and put one 40A
plug on them and then run a 40A 220v line to a 40A 220V outlet
the top and bottom of this bed is independed of each other along with each
section having its own timer.
the people I got it from had 2 outlets for it . but there seems there must
be a better way to plug this in .and run less wire
but a larger ga.wire.Both the top and bottom together would pull a total of
3100 watts
any info. would help. I have no problem running a 40A 220v circuit but I
don't know if this would be safe for the bed.
you know because we are going to be inside this thing and don't want it
zapping us.
seems to me this would work figuring each bed cord will only pull the amps
needed for that section of bed.
thanks for any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

It seems to me that your total load is about 13 amps @240 volts. If that is
the case you can run one 20 amp circuit, and either use two outlets or
replace both cord sets with one 20 amp cord

"gg" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

maybe this can be converted into a plant growing device somehow?
replacing the older/unsafe bulbs many be a hidden large cost, check out
bulb prices first.
first for the dangers see:
http://www.westchestergov.com/health...ningSalons.htm
"Since most sun lamps and tanning beds emit UVA radiation, doesn't that
make them safer than natural sunlight?
No. It's true that most sun lamps emit mainly UVA radiation, and that
these so*called "tanning rays" are less likely to cause a sunburn than
UVB radiation from sunlight. But, contrary to the claims of some
tanning parlors, that doesn't make them safe. UVA rays have a suspected
link to malignant melanoma, and, like UVB rays, they also may be linked
to immune system damage.
What's the government's position on using sun lamp products found in
tanning parlors and in homes?
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention (CDC) encourage people to avoid use of tanning
beds and sun lamps. "

gg wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

gg wrote:
[...]

Just a personal comment. As a 40+ year cancer survivor who had both
parents die of cancer, I suggest you may want to rethink the use of that
device. It is not safe. You are doing your bodies a serious disservice.

I have had over a dozen separate operations in the last 40 years that
turned out to be life threatening melanoma. Maybe another half dozen that
were not cancer. Most can be directly related to sun exposure. 40 years
ago I was given a 10% chance of making it five years. I am doing well, but
don't bet your life on being able to do as well.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

how does 12 time a hundred twice equal 3100? I would personally doubt if
the unit is even 220v. It's just uv tubes. Should run on a standard 15a
120v outlet.

'course on the other hand, why would you want a tanning bed anyway? Hoping
for early skin cancer or something?
--
Steve Barker

"gg" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I was kinda wondering that myself. Maybe there's something else in there
with the bulbs... like a treadmill

"gg" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gg" wrote in message
[...]

I'd contact the manufacturer to see what they recommend.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bet she's got skin like leather eh?

--
Steve Barker

"J.A. Michel" wrote in message
My wife has a 26 bulb tanning bed, and it's wired for 240V 30A. Check
with the manufacturer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A single larger diameter circuit is not necessarily going to be cheaper
or easier at all than two smaller circuits. Put the duplex output on
two halfs of a single split 12ga circuit (with shared neutral). You'd
be just using a single run of plain vanilla 12/3 romex, which is going
to be a whole lot easier and cheaper than going to 10ga or thicker, or
running more than one cable.

And do give my sympaties to the other patients when you get there.

-Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker LT wrote:
how does 12 time a hundred twice equal 3100? I would personally
doubt if the unit is even 220v. It's just uv tubes. Should run on a
standard 15a 120v outlet.

That would be 12x100 plus the ballast.

Electrical PVR Home Repair 14 June 20th 06 08:19 PM
need some electrical help [email protected] Home Repair 1 February 13th 06 11:03 AM
OT Electrical John Emmons Woodworking 13 September 6th 05 04:47 PM
Electrical putty vs. silicone for sealing exterior electrical holes? blueman Home Repair 3 April 1st 05 10:06 PM
Electrical - What the F--K? Pop Home Repair 9 December 6th 04 01:17 AM