Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default outdoor stairs slippery when wet

We don't seem to have an Aussie equivalent to this group, so I hope
I'm allowed to ask a question here.

Our stairs to the street are of a glazed terracotta tile. Despite each
tile having 3 grooves to channel away water, the major part of each
tile's surface is flat and it's very slippery after rain.

Is there a coating I could paint onto the glaze that would give it a
durable non-slip finish? Probably it's needed only for a 1.5" strip
along in from the edge and rolling over the curved edge itself.

The steps are subject to baking hot sun from midday on in summer, so
a rubbery coating might soften or melt or soon perish. Something with
sand or powdered glass might work, if it can be persuaded to grip the
vitreous glaze and hang on. Is there such a paint? Is it durable?

I suppose the ideal would be sand in a clear base. Next best would be
a white base.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Savage wrote:

[...]

No idea if would be acceptable from an aesthetic perspective - but what
about yacht anti-slip paint?

HTH Richard (also Savage!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Savage wrote:
We don't seem to have an Aussie equivalent to this group, so I hope
I'm allowed to ask a question here.

G'day mate!

Our stairs to the street are of a glazed terracotta tile. Despite each
tile having 3 grooves to channel away water, the major part of each
tile's surface is flat and it's very slippery after rain.

MM. water does that..

Is there a coating I could paint onto the glaze that would give it a
durable non-slip finish? Probably it's needed only for a 1.5" strip
along in from the edge and rolling over the curved edge itself.

The steps are subject to baking hot sun from midday on in summer, so
a rubbery coating might soften or melt or soon perish. Something with
sand or powdered glass might work, if it can be persuaded to grip the
vitreous glaze and hang on. Is there such a paint? Is it durable?

You have GLAZED tiles? With respect, chip em up and start over.

I suppose the ideal would be sand in a clear base. Next best would be
a white base.

The ideal is NOT to use *glazed* ceramic tiles. Its bad enough in the
bathroom...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:56:22 +0000, John Savage wrote:

[...]

==================================
I would suggest that you 'flat' the glaze with a coarse sanding disk or
belt sander. The effect will be that the steps will look as if they're
naturally worn by use.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We had a similar problem here at work. I got a company to surface
treat the terracotta like tiles and the problem went away. I can't
remember their name but since they're UK that won't help anyway.
Google for Non-slip floor treatments and you should find a local
equivalent. It's like a mild acid that microscopically etches the
surface.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
John Savage wrote:

[...]

Yes, we use deck paint for slippery-when-wet garden steps.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:56:22 +0000 (UTC), John Savage
wrote:

Is there a coating I could paint onto the glaze that would give it a
durable non-slip finish? Probably it's needed only for a 1.5" strip
along in from the edge and rolling over the curved edge itself.

You could varnish a strip and sprinkle a little carborundum grit on
it. Carborundum is used on boat surfaces where a non slip surface is
required and much better than sand as a friction material. You
should be able to buy it from any boatyard or supplier of fibreglass
materials. (You could also sprinkle it on a strip of GRP Resin
painted on the step rather than varnish).

It would probably need touching up every year - the grit provides a
secure surface so any twisting movement of the foot is passed to the
varnish which won't adhere brilliantly to the tiles and will wear
with time. It isn't a big job to touch up though.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
We don't seem to have an Aussie equivalent to this group, so I hope
I'm allowed to ask a question here.

Our stairs to the street are of a glazed terracotta tile. Despite each
tile having 3 grooves to channel away water, the major part of each
tile's surface is flat and it's very slippery after rain.

Is there a coating I could paint onto the glaze that would give it a
durable non-slip finish? Probably it's needed only for a 1.5" strip
along in from the edge and rolling over the curved edge itself....

There ought to be something in the 55 different products on the pages you
can reach from he

http://www.keyonline.co.uk/anti-slip_c_Main14571.html

If not, these people also do a range of non-slip products:

http://www.watco.co.uk/

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
We don't seem to have an Aussie equivalent to this group, so I hope
I'm allowed to ask a question here.

Our stairs to the street are of a glazed terracotta tile. Despite each
tile having 3 grooves to channel away water, the major part of each
tile's surface is flat and it's very slippery after rain.

Is there a coating I could paint onto the glaze that would give it a
durable non-slip finish? Probably it's needed only for a 1.5" strip
along in from the edge and rolling over the curved edge itself....

There ought to be something in the 55 different products on the pages you
can reach from he

http://www.keyonline.co.uk/anti-slip_c_Main14571.html

If not, these people also do a range of non-slip products:

http://www.watco.co.uk/

or for anyone in the UK who satifies the new Aldi/Lidl demographics

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...Slip_Tape.ar11

http://tinyurl.com/354ac4

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message
.. .
No idea if would be acceptable from an aesthetic perspective - but what
about yacht anti-slip paint?

HTH Richard (also Savage!)

Yes, we use deck paint for slippery-when-wet garden steps.

Thanks to all for the helpful replies. Deck paint looks like the
best solution. A strip of light grey will highlight the edge of each
stair for night safety, too.