Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Last qstn on stringers

Hi all.
The wall side string..how thick does this need to be?

Thanks.

Arthur.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
The wall side string..how thick does this need to be?

Thanks.

Arthur.

19mm=3/4" is generally a sensible size.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:

The wall side string..how thick does this need to be?

Looks best when it matches the other side. 3/4" would be about as slim
as you could go and still have enough thickness to include decent
rebates for the treads and risers and be able to get tight wedges in.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Jul, 13:12, John Rumm wrote:
Arthur 51 wrote:
The wall side string..how thick does this need to be?

Looks best when it matches the other side. 3/4" would be about as slim
as you could go and still have enough thickness to include decent
rebates for the treads and risers and be able to get tight wedges in.

--
Cheers,

John.

For a long time I had assumed that rebates are required for treads but
as
no one had mentioned them in earlier discussions. And even after
finding various web sites containing diagrams of stairs I couldn't
detect any mention of rebates. I had begun to think they
were an outdated method and replaced by simple blocks and wedges.

So if I use a 40mm thick string will 12mm be deep enough for the
rebates?

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:

For a long time I had assumed that rebates are required for treads but
as
no one had mentioned them in earlier discussions. And even after
finding various web sites containing diagrams of stairs I couldn't
detect any mention of rebates. I had begun to think they
were an outdated method and replaced by simple blocks and wedges.

Many of the web sites you find discuss the open string style more common
in the US. The more common fully housed strings we commonly use still
work much better if correctly rebated and wedged IMHO.

Some designs use a combination of the two - open strings on the banister
side, and closed on the wall side:

http://www.stairplan.com/staircases.htm

So if I use a 40mm thick string will 12mm be deep enough for the
rebates?

Yup. I only had relatively short lengths of unsupported string (5 steps)
so used 1" thick PAR stock (so about 21 - 22mm ish in reality), and
rebated that for the treads and risers to about half depth. I cut the
wedges out of stock that was probably twice that depth since it is what
was to hand and made them a little easier to hammer into place.

I did not rebate the string into the plaster of the wall - although you
can do if you want to give it extra support.

(I have a bunch of photos of my stairs during construction - I can stick
hires versions up for download if that is any use to you)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
The wall side string..how thick does this need to be?

Thanks.

Arthur.

Arthur,

The same thickness as the other side (at least one and a quarter inches [or
metric equivalent]) - especially if you are going to 'house' the steps and
risers into the string and the use wedges to fix (the correct method).

If you intent to simply glue and screw timber 'cleats' onto the strings to
support the steps and risers, then you can go a little thinner with the
material.

Brian G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
The wall side string..how thick does this need to be?

Thanks.

Arthur.

Arthur,

Have a look at this link and be amazed at what this man does with stairs.

http://www.plamann.com/currentwork.html

Brian G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian G
writes
Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
The wall side string..how thick does this need to be?

Thanks.

Arthur.

Arthur,

Have a look at this link and be amazed at what this man does with stairs.

http://www.plamann.com/currentwork.html

Given time ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message , Brian G
writes
Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
The wall side string..how thick does this need to be?

Thanks.

Arthur.

Arthur,

Have a look at this link and be amazed at what this man does with
stairs. http://www.plamann.com/currentwork.html

Given time ...

You ought to see his workshop... he occasionally posts on
alt.binaries.pictures.woodwork.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian G
writes
raden wrote:
In message , Brian G
writes
Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
The wall side string..how thick does this need to be?

Thanks.

Arthur.

Arthur,

Have a look at this link and be amazed at what this man does with
stairs. http://www.plamann.com/currentwork.html

Given time ...

You ought to see his workshop... he occasionally posts on
alt.binaries.pictures.woodwork.

That would only invoke jealousy ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian G wrote:

Have a look at this link and be amazed at what this man does with stairs.

http://www.plamann.com/currentwork.html

That's just showing off! ;-)

Especially:

http://www.plamann.com/groinedceilingforoffice.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Jul, 01:03, John Rumm wrote:
Brian G wrote:
Have a look at this link and be amazed at what this man does with stairs.

http://www.plamann.com/currentwork.html

That's just showing off! ;-)

Especially:

http://www.plamann.com/groinedceilingforoffice.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Harrumph!
Must admit. He does seem to be a tad better than average.

Arthur

Stringers again, Arthur2 UK diy 5 July 15th 07 08:36 PM
Deck stair railing using steel stringers Jesse Home Repair 0 July 1st 07 04:00 AM
Stair stringers JustBrowsing Home Repair 10 September 28th 06 07:58 AM
Help installing stair stringers! MikeC Woodworking 4 December 20th 04 03:14 AM
notching basement stringers to accomodate new wall? Reserved Home Repair 0 March 7th 04 10:55 PM