Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arthur 51 Arthur 51 is offline

Default Last qstn on stringers

On 23 Jul, 13:12, John Rumm wrote:
Arthur 51 wrote:
The wall side string..how thick does this need to be?

Looks best when it matches the other side. 3/4" would be about as slim
as you could go and still have enough thickness to include decent
rebates for the treads and risers and be able to get tight wedges in.

--
Cheers,

John.

For a long time I had assumed that rebates are required for treads but
as
no one had mentioned them in earlier discussions. And even after
finding various web sites containing diagrams of stairs I couldn't
detect any mention of rebates. I had begun to think they
were an outdated method and replaced by simple blocks and wedges.

So if I use a 40mm thick string will 12mm be deep enough for the
rebates?

Arthur