Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stringers again,

Trav Perks have

SAWN DRY GRADED C16 TREATED 47mm x 250mm (841536)

Is this the right stuff for a stair stringer?

I know that T & P have a timber mill quite near here and they might plane it
for me.

Thanks.
Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Appropriate size, yes. C16 strength grade, yes.

Is it going to be visible? Not on show - then it's the right stuff. If
it will be on show, ask for joinery grade red pine and have it planed
all round(PAR).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur2 wrote:

SAWN DRY GRADED C16 TREATED 47mm x 250mm (841536)

Is this the right stuff for a stair stringer?

Should do ok size wise[1]. Treated in what way? If it is tannalised etc,
then I would go for one that is not - since it is not so good for you to
be doing lots of machining on tannalised timber!

[1] It does depends on the installation situation. For a free straight
flight, then it may even be on the thin side, but for double winder with
one side fixed to a wall all round then it is overkill.

I know that T & P have a timber mill quite near here and they might plane it
for me.

It is surprising how quickly you can amortise the cost of a
planer/thicknesser in buying a relatively small amount of rough sawn
stuff in place of PAR stock. ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 15, 2:10 pm, "Arthur2" wrote:
Trav Perks have

SAWN DRY GRADED C16 TREATED 47mm x 250mm (841536)

Is this the right stuff for a stair stringer?

I know that T & P have a timber mill quite near here and they might plane it
for me.

What are you doing making stairs when you don't know anything about
grading timber?

No offence but if it is going outdoors or something, that's a
different question. It's just that you don't seem au fait with either
joinery or newsgroups. Which is it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 15, 6:52 pm, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Jul 15, 2:10 pm, "Arthur2" wrote:

Trav Perks have

SAWN DRY GRADED C16 TREATED 47mm x 250mm (841536)

Is this the right stuff for a stair stringer?

I know that T & P have a timber mill quite near here and they might plane it
for me.

What are you doing making stairs when you don't know anything about
grading timber?

No offence but if it is going outdoors or something, that's a
different question. It's just that you don't seem au fait with either
joinery or newsgroups. Which is it?

That sounded very condescending but it really was a brash OP. Here is
a site that deals with grading timber:

http://www.tda.org.uk/NetBuildPro/pr...ewsview13.html

3. Timber grade (Strength Class): C16 minimum

The grade (strength class) of timber used for structural components
such as posts, beams and joists shall be sufficient to cope with the
loads placed upon it during its service life. Softwood with a strength
class rating of C16 is considered the minimum standard.

For decks below 600mm in height the use of C16 timber is recommended.
For structures over 600mm the use of strength graded timber is
essential and required by Building Regulations.

The higher strength classes, typically C18 and C24 should be
specified where smaller component sections, longer spans or commercial
deck performance design considerations are required.

Note: Do not exceed the recommended load and span for each strength
class - refer to span tables in the TDA Timber Decking Manual for
detailed recommendations.

*********

Sawn timber will lose some 1/8" per face planed. More if a warp or
bend has to be removed. However, a staircase is an enormously strong
structure if glue is used in the housings. So good that if you just
took off all the doors in your house and put them in front of you in a
stairwell instead of getting laid when the 3 minute warning siren rang
in the Cold War...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 15, 6:52 pm, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Jul 15, 2:10 pm, "Arthur2" wrote:

Trav Perks have

SAWN DRY GRADED C16 TREATED 47mm x 250mm (841536)

Is this the right stuff for a stair stringer?

I know that T & P have a timber mill quite near here and they might
plane it
for me.

What are you doing making stairs when you don't know anything about
grading timber?

I'm aware that timber is graded for structural purposes, c16,etc.

No offence but if it is going outdoors or something, that's a
different question. It's just that you don't seem au fait with either
joinery or newsgroups. Which is it?

Replacing stairs in house...

Been using ng's since 98 and this one for more than 2 years I think.

as it happens, in the past hour, I've decided to keep the existing string

That sounded very condescending but it really was a brash OP. Here is
a site that deals with grading timber:

http://www.tda.org.uk/NetBuildPro/pr...ewsview13.html

Whos talking about decking?

I don't want decking! Do you want decking? If you want decking, be sure
and ask a very big feller to do it.

snip
..........instead of getting laid when the 3 minute warning siren rang
in the Cold War...

You forgot to warn me about the risk of sexually transmitted diseases

Arthur