Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Stringers again,

Arthur2 wrote:

SAWN DRY GRADED C16 TREATED 47mm x 250mm (841536)

Is this the right stuff for a stair stringer?

Should do ok size wise[1]. Treated in what way? If it is tannalised etc,
then I would go for one that is not - since it is not so good for you to
be doing lots of machining on tannalised timber!

[1] It does depends on the installation situation. For a free straight
flight, then it may even be on the thin side, but for double winder with
one side fixed to a wall all round then it is overkill.

I know that T & P have a timber mill quite near here and they might plane it
for me.

It is surprising how quickly you can amortise the cost of a
planer/thicknesser in buying a relatively small amount of rough sawn
stuff in place of PAR stock. ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.