Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default painting over embossed wallpaper

My hall, stairs and landing walls are papered with a lightly embossed
wallpaper, flowers & a few shiny bits, excellent quality & papering,
but not quite suited to a bachelor pad!

As a short term fix, i'd like to paint over it, something neutral, but
I suspect the texture will show through, are there any modern paints
that will give me a fighting chance of covering it up?
I don't really want it to be like adrian mole's wallpaper!

I know ultimately, It wants stripping back, lining & then painting.
But even if I can paint it and i'm left with a bit of texture / flower
outlines, it has to be better than all the pink & purple flowers.

advice appreciated

Ta
DD

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dirt dibbler" wrote in message
ps.com...
My hall, stairs and landing walls are papered with a lightly embossed
wallpaper, flowers & a few shiny bits, excellent quality & papering,
but not quite suited to a bachelor pad!

As a short term fix, i'd like to paint over it, something neutral, but
I suspect the texture will show through, are there any modern paints
that will give me a fighting chance of covering it up?
I don't really want it to be like adrian mole's wallpaper!

I know ultimately, It wants stripping back, lining & then painting.
But even if I can paint it and i'm left with a bit of texture / flower
outlines, it has to be better than all the pink & purple flowers.

advice appreciated

Ta
DD

When we moved in here in 1964 the sitting room had a textured paper. We
painted it. The texture showed through but was interesting. Since then it's
been painted many times, the texture is still evident but not unpleasant, in
fact in some ways it's better than flat walls.

I don't understand about Adrian Mole's wallpaper ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2007 09:53, Mary Fisher wrote:

I don't understand about Adrian Mole's wallpaper ...

13 year old Noddy wallpaper semi-obliterated with black paint.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
On 23/07/2007 09:53, Mary Fisher wrote:

I don't understand about Adrian Mole's wallpaper ...

13 year old Noddy wallpaper semi-obliterated with black paint.

Oh. But the OP's wallpaper wasn't right for that to start with ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Jul, 10:03, Andy Burns wrote:
On 23/07/2007 09:53, Mary Fisher wrote:

I don't understand about Adrian Mole's wallpaper ...

13 year old Noddy wallpaper semi-obliterated with black paint.

finished off with black felt pens to try to cover the bells on his
hat, if i remember correctly!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

[...]

When Sue Townsend replaces Shakespeare for the English Literature exams you
will understand.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

[...]

I heard broadcasts of some of Adrian Mole when the first book was published,
then the second ... but they weren't memorable - especially wallpaper
details.

Mary

Adam

Polycell 'sort-of plaster' over embossed wallpaper - anyone used it? tester UK diy 10 April 4th 07 11:33 PM
painting wallpaper?!! dazednotconfused UK diy 3 April 3rd 05 12:14 PM
Painting Over Wallpaper Decij Home Repair 8 January 22nd 05 11:22 PM
Painting Wallpaper Freda UK diy 3 January 17th 04 04:08 PM
Painting over Wallpaper Patscga Home Ownership 3 December 14th 03 05:29 PM