Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Polycell 'sort-of plaster' over embossed wallpaper - anyone used it?

Not exactly plaster, but some product you can spread directly on
wallpaper and smooth to give a pseudo plaster-like effect - I wonder
how good it is to get a smooth finish over horrible surfaces.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 20:13:13 +0000, tester wrote:

Not exactly plaster, but some product you can spread directly on wallpaper
and smooth to give a pseudo plaster-like effect - I wonder how good it is
to get a smooth finish over horrible surfaces.

===============================
It's probably quite easy to do but it seems like a rather pointless bodge.
I think that it's quite likely to bring the old wallpaper off in patches
because of the moisture content.

I would suggest that it's easier to remove the old wallpaper and repair
any consequent plaster damage rather than try this cover-up.

Cic.
--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 20:13:13 GMT, tester wrote:

Not exactly plaster, but some product you can spread directly on
wallpaper and smooth to give a pseudo plaster-like effect - I wonder
how good it is to get a smooth finish over horrible surfaces.

There have been threads in here about it.

Usually started by people like yourself who bought it and came asking
if it was really as total rubbish as they had found or were they doing
something wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tester wrote:
Not exactly plaster, but some product you can spread directly on
wallpaper and smooth to give a pseudo plaster-like effect - I wonder
how good it is to get a smooth finish over horrible surfaces.

The adverts say it's for smoothing over artex, I say it's for throwing in
the bin - it would cost more than WW2 to get a room smooth with that stuff,
and using it on wallpaper is possibly the worst idea anyone has ever had

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tester" wrote

Not exactly plaster, but some product you can spread directly on
wallpaper and smooth to give a pseudo plaster-like effect - I wonder
how good it is to get a smooth finish over horrible surfaces.

Get the paper off and smooth the wall.
As others have said, the moisture in the skim is likely to loosen paper
anyway - cue a real mess.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 20:44:59 GMT, EricP
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 20:13:13 GMT, tester wrote:

Not exactly plaster, but some product you can spread directly on
wallpaper and smooth to give a pseudo plaster-like effect - I wonder
how good it is to get a smooth finish over horrible surfaces.

There have been threads in here about it.

Usually started by people like yourself who bought it and came asking
if it was really as total rubbish as they had found or were they doing
something wrong.

No need for such a condesending reply to a genuine question. I never
bought it, just saw an ad on the TV by a reputable company not some
fly by night start up. Thanks for all helpful replies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 20:13:13 GMT, tester wrote:

Not exactly plaster, but some product you can spread directly on
wallpaper and smooth to give a pseudo plaster-like effect - I wonder
how good it is to get a smooth finish over horrible surfaces.

There have been threads in here about it.

Usually started by people like yourself who bought it and came asking
if it was really as total rubbish as they had found or were they doing
something wrong.

No need for such a condesending reply to a genuine question. I never
bought it, just saw an ad on the TV by a reputable company not some
fly by night start up. Thanks for all helpful replies.

I can't see anything condesending in it. It was intended as a straight
reply, but suit yourself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jal jal is offline

In article ,
tester wrote:

Not exactly plaster, but some product you can spread directly on
wallpaper and smooth to give a pseudo plaster-like effect - I wonder
how good it is to get a smooth finish over horrible surfaces.

I didn't think it was wallpaper they talk about in the ad (maybe I
misheard). I assume that it is _artex_ that they're talking about:
this is a notoriously difficult substance to remove - in fact virtually
impossible. (See D-I-Y for years past)

Best way to deal with Artex is to get it skimmed by a plasterer - those
time-served Wizards who can do wonderful things with sludge.

Enter Polycell, who are saying "skim it yourself - dead easy!". It's
*that* bit which I, too, am very curious to know about: even watching
the advert, I just cannot believe that the guy'n'gal slapping this stuff
on are going to end up with something you can paper, or emulsion.

There must be something in it (in the notion of doing this with
Polycell's product I mean, not something in the product itself; (that
too I suppose)). However I would say that if you have a wall or a
ceiling of Artex to deal with, then grit your teeth and employ a
plasterer to skim it: fast, and a perfect finish.

John
IANAP
[I am not a plasterer]
[wish I was - plenty of pocket money in that job, alright]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tester wrote:
I wonder
how good it is to get a smooth finish over horrible surfaces.

Artex is the work of the devil and only to be used on paying
work, not on anything you're going to admit to being responsible for.
Removing Artex is a pretty grim task, but the feeling of righteousness
you get as you do it eases a lot of the pain. Alternate between the
steam stripper and the hot air gun, that way you don't get too badly
cramped on the first day.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
jal wrote:

I didn't think it was wallpaper they talk about in the ad (maybe I
misheard). I assume that it is _artex_ that they're talking about:
this is a notoriously difficult substance to remove - in fact virtually
impossible. (See D-I-Y for years past)

I'm pretty sure when I saw the ad the other day it ended with something
like "even suitable for covering textured wallpaper" which instantly made
me dismiss it

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jal wrote:
In article ,
tester wrote:

[...]

Polycell don't sell products to do the job they are sold for, they sell
watered (and dumbed) down versions of the 'real thing', often for
extortionate prices - a 5L tub of this 'smoothover' crap would probably
cover about 6m2 *, or to put it another way, less than one 12ft by 8ft wall
and costs £25...oh and it doesn't work.

Bag of finishing plaster (25kg) is £3, add to water (free) will cover easily
20m2.

There must be something in it (in the notion of doing this with
Polycell's product I mean, not something in the product itself; (that
too I suppose)). However I would say that if you have a wall or a
ceiling of Artex to deal with, then grit your teeth and employ a
plasterer to skim it: fast, and a perfect finish.

@ £3 a bag, I don't know why more people don't just buy some and
learn...even if it all ends up being scraped off and thrown in the bin, at
least people are getting better every time they try.

* a bedroom of 12ft by 12ft by 8ft high is approximately 45m2, even if this
stuff covered 8m2 (not a hope) it would still cost a householder £150 to do
it himself, probably over a fortnight or so...one plasterer would do it in
one day for approx £200, less if the householder sheeted up and cleaned up
afterwards.

Polycell wallpaper paste Dave UK diy 12 March 19th 07 11:29 AM
Removing wallpaper to plaster -(skim) - query on remnant glue tester UK diy 1 January 21st 07 01:59 AM
Polycell Smoothover mojo UK diy 3 November 8th 06 04:36 PM
Removing wallpaper border from painted (vinyl?) wallpaper Robert Campbell UK diy 12 May 23rd 06 10:20 AM
polycell smoothover Mindwipe UK diy 0 March 31st 04 08:02 PM