Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extending air bricks under conservatory base.

Hi, I am wondering if someone here can advise.

I am preparing a conservatory base, and I need to extend the airbricks on
the back of my house, out to the new front edge of my conserveatory dwarf
wall. What would people use to connect up the old brick to the new,
before filling the lot with concrete?

My local Travis Perkins said there is a connector that fits on the back of
the air brick, and allows you to "pipe" to the old one. They did not sell
them, and did not know anyone that did. He did have some box section
stuff, at insane prices, that according to him, nobody bought because of
the price...

So what do people generally use?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
al al is offline

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:http://www.opera.com/mail/

Why not just fit a new airbrick/s outside the area of the new
brickwork and ignore the existing one?
Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Black Shuck" wrote in message
news
Hi, I am wondering if someone here can advise.

I am preparing a conservatory base, and I need to extend the

airbricks on
the back of my house, out to the new front edge of my conserveatory

dwarf
wall. What would people use to connect up the old brick to the new,
before filling the lot with concrete?

My local Travis Perkins said there is a connector that fits on the

back of
the air brick, and allows you to "pipe" to the old one. They did

not sell
them, and did not know anyone that did. He did have some box section
stuff, at insane prices, that according to him, nobody bought

because of
the price...

So what do people generally use?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.opera.com/mail/

When I built my attached garage I piped four airbricks to the outside
using standard 110mm underground soil pipe. Removed old airbrick (9" x
9" galvanised cast iron), mortared the pipe into the hole, and lead it
to the outer skin of the dwarf walls up against the new airbricks
which I again sealed with mortar. Then the slab was poured holding it
all together. The BCO was very happy with the method.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 19:04:54 +0100, Black Shuck wrote:

Hi, I am wondering if someone here can advise.

I am preparing a conservatory base, and I need to extend the airbricks
on the back of my house, out to the new front edge of my conserveatory
dwarf wall. What would people use to connect up the old brick to the
new, before filling the lot with concrete?

My local Travis Perkins said there is a connector that fits on the back
of the air brick, and allows you to "pipe" to the old one. They did not
sell them, and did not know anyone that did. He did have some box
section stuff, at insane prices, that according to him, nobody bought
because of the price...

So what do people generally use?

Thanks in advance.

===================================
You might be able to use these (Telescopic underfloor vents) but they
would open into your conservatory and the air flow would be from inside
the conservatory into the old flooring void:

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...+vents&x=0&y=0

If you used them they would have the possible advantage of being easier to
keep clear than long underground pipes.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Jul, 19:04, "Black Shuck" wrote:
Hi, I am wondering if someone here can advise.

I am preparing a conservatory base, and I need to extend the airbricks on
the back of my house, out to the new front edge of my conserveatory dwarf
wall. What would people use to connect up the old brick to the new,
before filling the lot with concrete?

My local Travis Perkins said there is a connector that fits on the back of
the air brick, and allows you to "pipe" to the old one. They did not sell
them, and did not know anyone that did. He did have some box section
stuff, at insane prices, that according to him, nobody bought because of
the price...

So what do people generally use?

Thanks in advance.

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:http://www.opera.com/mail/

Dear
Black Shuck

My advice is to get rid of the existing air BRICKS (80% material 20%
air) and put in your hardcore 150mm if you can get it or 2 x 110 mm if
you cannot piping from each postion (normally 225 x 150) of each brick
try to keep the pipes as straight as possible before they then get
turned up to the vertical where indeed you could use a telescopic vent
as shown by Cicero (nice choice of name) or simply two 90 deg bends to
the new positions on the rear wall of the conservatory. AT this point
use purpose made sub-floor air VENTS (80% void 20%material) AND
consider insect mesh. The higher up the wall the vent goes the more
force of air (wind pressure) down the pipes. Presumably it is cavity
wall so ensure the cavity is large enough at these points if you do
not use the telescopic connectors
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 21, 7:50 am, Chris George wrote:
On 20 Jul, 19:04, "Black Shuck" wrote:

Hi, I am wondering if someone here can advise.

I am preparing a conservatory base, and I need to extend the airbricks on
the back of my house, out to the new front edge of my conservatory dwarf
wall. What would people use to connect up the old brick to the new,
before filling the lot with concrete?

My local Travis Perkins said there is a connector that fits on the back of
the air brick, and allows you to "pipe" to the old one. They did not sell
them, and did not know anyone that did. He did have some box section
stuff, at insane prices, that according to him, nobody bought because of
the price...

So what do people generally use?

Thanks in advance.

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:http://www.opera.com/mail/

Dear
Black Shuck

My advice is to get rid of the existing air BRICKS (80% material 20%
air) and put in your hardcore 150mm if you can get it or 2 x 110 mm if
you cannot piping from each position (normally 225 x 150) of each brick
try to keep the pipes as straight as possible before they then get
turned up to the vertical where indeed you could use a telescopic vent
as shown by Cicero (nice choice of name) or simply two 90 deg bends to
the new positions on the rear wall of the conservatory.

Boy! That's a long sentence. Have you taught yourself to speak as you
inhale?

AT this point

Could you repeat that? I forgot what you said.

use purpose made sub-floor air vents (80% void 20% material) and
consider insect mesh. The higher up the wall the vent goes the more
force of air (wind pressure) down the pipes. Presumably it is cavity
wall so ensure the cavity is large enough at these points if you do
not use the telescopic connectors

I can't see the need for airbrick on a building with a concrete slab
but if I was going to do it, I would suggest that the air intake be
higher than the lowest sewer input in the house.

If that is possible, it will save you putting covers over them if you
are in danger of flood. Anything higher will be a waste of effort as
ingress from foul water is much worse than the alternative.

I wonder if blocking the doors from the inside and turning on the down
stair taps would be a preferable alternative to either other choice of
floodwater ingress. Any ideas, anyone?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Jul, 08:39, Weatherlawyer wrote:
[...]

floodwater ingress. Any ideas, anyone?- Hide quoted text -

Dear Weatherlawyer
re
I can't see the need for airbrick on a building with a concrete slab
but if I was going to do it, I would suggest that the air intake be
higher than the lowest sewer input in the house.

One of the major reasons for Wet Rot decay in the rear wallplate and
joist ends of a suspended timber floor to which some idiot has chosen
to put a concrete floored extension is the failure to produce adequate
facility to maintain or increase subfloor ventilation to the existing
floors. Where there is a capacity to do this from the sides (detached
houses) fine but with a terraced house, the way I have suggested is
best.
If the property is subject to flooding, other considerations apply and
suppose it were intermittent infrequent but regular flooding of the
oversite but not the floor then the obvious solution would be to
continue in suspended timber with land drains on the mandatory 4" of
concrete on the new oversite. Old oversite would naturally drain if of
earth.
If, however, it was more serious flooding the issues are far too
complex to be solved by anything done or not done with subfloor
ventilation. It is another topic!

Air vents need to be a min 150mm above external ground level at the
base.

Chris

extending concrete base Pedro Popadopolous UK diy 4 October 31st 05 09:51 AM
Conservatory Base Lawrence Zarb UK diy 4 August 31st 05 10:40 PM
Conservatory restricting air bricks? jojarosa UK diy 7 April 24th 05 08:50 AM
Conservatory base Wordy UK diy 2 September 2nd 04 10:16 PM
conservatory on wooden base tim Home Repair 0 February 25th 04 06:49 PM